New Head---am I getting ripped off? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hoping for some group input here. I need to replace the head on my '07 LC with VVT engine. The shop is quoting $6,600. I know the head and other parts cost $2700 but, doing the math, that's about 20 hours of work. Does it really take this long or am I getting fleeced?
Obviously want the job done right and know there could be some machining.

Thanks.

Quick question: Resurfacing the the head only for 6600? Or is there any other work done like polished ports and big valves? Have you asked for a second opinion from a different machine shop?

Shees, what happened? How many miles? What's the evidence of the damage?
The spark plug fused with the head so they are saying I cant change the plug without replacing the head. The previous owner did the something with the material to fuse it to the stripped head but cant replace after that one off.
I'm obviously not a mechanic.
I want the car in optimal shape as its going to be in a remote area, so want the work done right. Just seems very steep.

Quick question: Resurfacing the the head only for 6600? Or is there any other work done like polished ports and big valves? Have you asked for a second opinion from a different machine shop?
Just replacing and machining the new head + anything else that needs to be done in there. With the VVT engine I'm a bit more reluctant to just take to any shop.
I did not take to another shop since the car was already there for other work. I've thought about calling the toyota dealership but, in my experience, I dont always trust the dealerships for the best work.

how many miles on the engine? I can’t imagine a refurbed head from a reputable shop would be $2700. The work required isn’t that much to remove a head compared to a timing belt job.

Have you priced out a used engine installed?

how many miles on the engine? I can’t imagine a refurbed head from a reputable shop would be $2700. The work required isn’t that much to remove a head compared to a timing belt job.

Have you priced out a used engine installed?
177k miles on the engine. Its a new head from toyota.
Based on this feedback it sounds like I'm getting hosed.

lol I just wrote you were getting hosed, then erased it.

post the itemised list for parts. then you could get some decent opinions

1533 lakeland toyota
1380 + 175 shipping PS

plus whatever else for your 2700?

Have you tried pulling the spark plug? if it is stuck grab a breaker bar and gently tighten and loosen 2-3 degrees at a time until it starts coming loose. if it really is "fused" you can always break that sucker off drill it out and then use a helicoil. please look up how to do this on youtube before you try.

How does one fuse a plug to the head (crossthreaded, jbwelded in, tack welded), people do crazy stuff. Before I ok'd the replacement of the head, I'd definitely try to pull the plug with a breaker bar, the damage may be limited to something a helicoil could resolve. Good luck, get a second opinion, and post photos.

How does one fuse a plug to the head (crossthreaded, jbwelded in, tack welded), people do crazy stuff. Before I ok'd the replacement of the head, I'd definitely try to pull the plug with a breaker bar, the damage may be limited to something a helicoil could resolve. Good luck, get a second opinion, and post photos.

Totally agree with this idea—it may be a little additional cost to sort out WTF the PO did, but it's minor compared to your quote.

The spark plug fused with the head so they are saying I cant change the plug without replacing the head. The previous owner did the something with the material to fuse it to the stripped head but cant replace after that one off.
I'm obviously not a mechanic.
I want the car in optimal shape as its going to be in a remote area, so want the work done right. Just seems very steep.

I'm having a difficult time understanding just how this all came about? Is the vehicle in the shop to replace the spark plugs and they have found that they can not remove one of them. And suspect it was at some point cross threaded (not uncommon) and the P/O or someone else used something like JB weld to seal the plug?

IF that is the case....then most likely the head will need to be pulled to explore any options (spark plug does not need to come out to pull the head). Most shops will opt to replace with a new head for two reasons:

1. More money for them.
2. They don't want a 'come back' if a helicoil should fail or something else goes wrong with the original head.

But $6600.00 sounds like a LOT of money to do the job. I know shop rates vary region to region but it sounds high to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom