New Hampshire Oil Undercoating (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Do you get slimed with oil every time you work under the vehicle?
after a couple weeks there is a slight film that might come off. I'd recommend wearing gloves because it will get messy. Have had NH oil on for about a year, and only a little bit can come off if you rub it

Do you get slimed with oil every time you work under the vehicle?
Well, it doesn't drip on you or anything, but if you touch something under the truck you will get oil and dirt on you. It's definitely not like being under an Arizona truck, but also 100x better than trying to do anything on a super rusty truck with flakes falling in your face.

Yeah, it doesn’t drip but everything gets coated in filth. I sprayed out my wheel wells and undercarriage last week and took off about 3/4” of crud that I thought was sprayed on coating. Nope, just mud and oil. I have tight spots that look like rust creep under the paint but it’s the film leeching out from between panels. Last winter I has a months long dirt/oil patch where the film creeped out from my fuel fill door. But it’s better than rust.

Slow reply I know, I haven’t been following this thread. I’ve been using this exact stuff the past two years since I moved to NH. Seems like it’s held rust in check so far I’ll have to report back in a decade.

I bought the truck at 135k after it had been in IL and MN it’s whole life. I was real pleased to find a rust free truck locally.

Then I moved to OR and every time it would see the dealer they’d comment on how bad and rusted out it was, cautioned me that every service would take twice as long. They tore my speed sensor boot trying to pull it from the hub and wanted to charge me for a new one. (I thought this was pretty basic - never pull a speed sensor unless you’re planning to replace it! Always unplug and unclip from above! I was pretty annoyed.) But then I started seeing all the 20-30 year old Toyotas around with showroom undercarriages. Changed my mindset.

Standards of care and maintenance shift completely when you don’t accept a 10 year/100k mile lifespan as an inevitability. What’s the point of pm if a vehicle will rust out in less than a decade? And then without pm, vehicle lives are shortened and expectations lessened. Growing up in the northeast, we knew vehicles had a short limited lifespan, never invest more than necessary to keep it running because it could go at any time.

Living out west altered my expectations and also made me paranoid of any rust. I dump a lot of money into pm now, hoping this truck will last years longer. I also will spray the piss out of it every fall with oil undercoating, something I never worried about previously.

re: NH Oil Undercoating
It definitely seems like it gets in everywhere, the truck is grimy underneath all the time. I get the clear one instead of black so I can see any developments under it but it gets so filthy that I still can’t see through it. Oil oozes out between my body panels and it’s hard to keep it clean. But so far, no new rust. I do have heavy surface rust on my sliders, etc where they don’t really spray but I figure I’ll need to touch those up anyway. In winter especially I try to stick to the back roads as much as possible. Makes for better driving anyway, and I hope less salt.

Edit: I tried to take some photos just now but there’s a ton of mud underneath from my drive yesterday and the photos don’t show anything. I can get some soon in case anyone’s interested.

I think Krown is a little better, but NH Oil Undercoating is almost as good. Either one sprayed once a year will keep your truck rust-free.

My friend had Krown applied to his Cruisers but didn't keep them long enough to see the long-term durability/effects. I went back and forth between the two after doing it for years myself on my friend's lift (his shop closed after his dad passed away), but this thread was the nail in the coffin when it came to Krown:

I've been pretty happy with the NH Oil Undercoating, yes it does get a bit messy while wrenching but my mechanic said he'd rather deal with that than rust. Plus, the place I've had it applied has been pretty great in terms of customer service and satisfaction, the Krown dealer (who incidentally is in the same town) has had less than stellar reviews - this of course is not a reflection on the product itself, but just goes to show how much of a difference a smile and good customer service can make.

Could someone please share a ballpark price comparison of the popular options? Thanks in advance :)

Krown is $140 I think. At least that’s what I remember from when I had it done last year.

I’m in DC but have an Atlanta rig and want it to stay clean. I’ll probably have them do it every other year and touch up myself on off years.

If I was in rust country I’d do everything I could to avoid driving the the cruiser in the salt.

I’d take it to a place in the fall and reapply myself halfway through the winter.

I always thought this video was informative about NH Oil.

I decided to buy WoolWax and do it myself ~along with hitting some key spots with CRC Heavy Duty Marine rust inhibitor.

Part of the decision was having multiple cars to coat, at which point a kit for ~$220 made a lot of sense.

Another was having seen two New Englnad 100s done by two different NH Oil locations - one looked great having really been doused, and the other had not much more than a broad patch down the middle of the underside.

Just arrived in New Hampshire and will stay here for a few months. But found out nearby NH Oil places are all booked until spring 😂 Any other options to have similar products coated professionally at a shop? (NH Oil, Krown or similar solutions?)

Thanks!

NH Oil Undercoating does license some places to apply their oil, so you can look around to see if any of them have a slot. If you have the space and the will you can get spray cans of their stuff and apply it yourself, but I doubt you can do as well or better than they do.

Does it make sense to remove as much rust as possible first? Are there any places that can do this?

I just have surface rust and I'm concerned about encapsulating that. Not looking forward to winter. Went through my first New England winter this year (lived in Miami and LA before...)

Does it make sense to remove as much rust as possible first? Are there any places that can do this?

I just have surface rust and I'm concerned about encapsulating that. Not looking forward to winter. Went through my first New England winter this year (lived in Miami and LA before...)
Less rust is always better, and I believe NHOU does a rust remediation service but it's kind of expensive ($600?). I wouldn't worry about encapsulation with any of the oil products, as they aren't like the hard dry undercoating that can trap moisture and hide corrosion. I think they would prevent any rust spread pretty well. Winter is OK, it just takes a little more planning. If you have a spare grand rolling around, get dedicated snow tires for your truck and you'll definitely have some fun!

I've gone back and forth between Krown and NH Oil Undercoating. I prefer Krown for two reasons - seems to stick to the metal better and it's less $$.

NH Oil undercoating drips for days after getting sprayed. After the first time, it left oil deposits all over my driveway so I eventually parked in the street for a week. And they charged $199 for black tint. This was at the corporate location in NH. Their local mobile guy wanted $250.

So this year I decided to go back to Krown. Only one dealer Gillies Auto in Grantham, NH - moving to Lebanon. Nice people, very thorough job, and they washed my rig when they were done which was a very nice touch. $140. No drips. I heard Gillies telling people they were booking into December for Krown.

Sorry for digressing, but figured this may be an opportunity to ask about NH related question here :p Are there good shops who can do offroad-related work e.g. installing (competently) aftermarket bumpers, sliders, etc. in NH/Maine/MA area? Thanks!

Sorry for digressing, but figured this may be an opportunity to ask about NH related question here :p Are there good shops who can do offroad-related work e.g. installing (competently) aftermarket bumpers, sliders, etc. in NH/Maine/MA area? Thanks!
I'd say Mainline Overland, in Bow. John the manager is great and they do tons of Toyota work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom