New guys don't show up without a question or two (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Well, like I said, I don't think us rookies show up without a question or two and I'm no different.
I live over in eastern NC and recently bought an '87 FJ60 from a member here. My wife was pissed that I made her drive 6 hours for me to go pick this thing up, but she seems to have developed a fondness for the truck. Fortunately for me she can't drive a manual transmission so I don't have to worry about hostile takeovers (for now):D
On to my headache-
The previous owner had the system converted to R134 by a shop and said it was working great.
Saturday I used the AC briefly and it was cool but not cold. I was concerned at first that it was inop, but after parking it I saw the puddle of water underneath the truck (checked, it was water). So Saturday afternoon I bought some R134 thinking it may need a charge. Last night I broke out my gages and sure enough, it was low. So I proceeded to add R134 to the system and the gages showed gaining charge and then immediately losing charge. Upon closer inspection I noticed leaking from the bottom of the compressor. I can't see the bottom of the compressor without taking it off but I suspect that there is a crack.
Should I buy a reman'd compressor around $450 (which I'm hard pressed to afford at the moment) or cruiserparts.net says they have one used, no leaks with clutch for $100.
Can I use my old clutch if I buy the compressor from cruiserparts?
I have the mechanical ability to swap the compressors out myself, so I should only be concerned about getting someone to draw a good vacuum on this thing correct? I don't want to involve the shops around here anymore than I have to.
I don't have any problem staying with R134 because it is so readily available and I have the gages to refill the system. I searched and saw some folks recommending other types of refrigerant but I'm concerned that if I ever have to take it to a shop, I'll be SOL.
What say you Mudders?

Last edited:
I purchased one of those $100 compressors. Cruisers parts stood behind the compressor but it wasnt until the 3rd one they sent me that it didnt leak. I would suggest finding a way to check the compressor for leaks before you load it into the system and lose your r134. They told me that they dont check the compressors other than to just start them on the truck before they remove them.

So far my plan is this-
Buy the compressor from cruiserparts. Convert for R134 use.
Buy new orings, drier, and oil from ackits.com
probably buy a vacuum from ackits.com as well (only $40 and runs off my air compressor) Most likely cheaper than taking it to a shop.
Test compressor
Remove old compressor and drier.
Install replacement parts.
Draw vacuum.
Refill with R134.
I think I'm looking at about $250 to get this done and whatever my time costs me.
So what am I missing?

beer, and an official mud greeting:flipoff2:

sounds like you've got it all. maybe flush the system first too?

But if you used the HC12a you'd have a deep freeze instead of a cooler. Takes less than 2 cans.

As I understand it HC12 is available to the general public and I wouldn't have to change any fittings? Is this correct?

my two cents...don't use a used AC compressor.

get a reman Denso and be done with it...

if you can find it, nothing beats good 'ole R-12. my 60 and my two old benzes still run R-12...expensive but if your AC system is sound, you shouldn't have to refill any time soon.

Unfortunately a used compressor is all I can afford until I sell my '87 BMW 325is. I understand it may cost me more in the long run to begin with a used compressor but I can't drive down the road and look at my 2yr old little girl sweating buckets until I can spend the $400 or so for a reman'd compressor. It's going to get pretty hot here soon so I need to get this moving while staying in my budget.

Hey- thanks for that link! I'll check into it.

I know it is out of your budget right now, but I have gone down the used compressor route and it sucks. I've bought several on this forum and they aren't good for anything other than boat anchors.

I have 4 "worked when removed" compressors in my garage that don't work. I finally just ponied up and bought a new Toyota one with R12. It's usually too late by the time you realize that the used one you installed isn't gonna last.

I think you're probably right on the used compressors cbtmontgo. I'm pretty sure I'm going to use the link that ellington12 provided for a reman'd compressor.

I'm wondering how hard it is going to be to remove the clutch and install it on the new compressor?
One of my concerns is that I've not had an opportunity to find out if the clutch is engaging. (it's my understanding that the clutch will not engage if there is no refrigerant or oil in the system, correct?)
Is there a way I can test for clutch engagement on the old compressor?

I think you're probably right on the used compressors cbtmontgo. I'm pretty sure I'm going to use the link that ellington12 provided for a reman'd compressor.

I'm wondering how hard it is going to be to remove the clutch and install it on the new compressor?
One of my concerns is that I've not had an opportunity to find out if the clutch is engaging. (it's my understanding that the clutch will not engage if there is no refrigerant or oil in the system, correct?)
Is there a way I can test for clutch engagement on the old compressor?

The cluch is pretty inexpensive, and there's really no reason to risk the whole repair for a clutch that might also be on its last leg. I think there is a way to remove it and transfer it, but I'd recommend getting the remanufactured compressor with a reman clutch if you can. Just my $ .02.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom