New Guy.... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Str8Razor

SILVER Star
Threads
Just a little introduction....I've been a Toyota guy since I could drive Here's an old pic of what I used to beat on......
myoldtoy.jpg

I am just now finding this site and all I can say is wow, so here's what I'm working with, I've had my 87 FJ-60 for about 5 years now and she's starting to get tired, suspension is tired steering is loose, I hate the front shackles and the way the truck handles, the motor still runs but is having some issues,(possible head gasket I need to check compression) I've got a plethora of parts, NV4500+205, a small block chevy, some vor-tech heads.I need to come up with something for fuel injection, MPI would be ideal, I want to keep the same ride height or there about,as well as keeping it sprung under. was thinking of going with a 4 inch lift with shackle reversal for the front, I want to keep my a/c and street-ability, with decent off-road performance, mostly for use on the street and the beach in Hatteras....I'm thinking 350 hp would give it the kick in the butt it needs and with stock gearing and the overdrive in the NV would likely improve gas mileage, for now it has 32 bfg m/t's on it and they have plenty of tread left, wouldn't mind going up to 33's especially if it will get the rpm's down and help with fuel economy, I had thought of going with a diesel but it's not in the budget right now....Any ideas would be greatly appreciated..What do you think about this project??.......

The above was written before I started looking around on this site, Ya'll have me totally perplexed with your awesomeness, I'm now thinking a 6 liter vortec with the nv4500, but I'm curious about the 5.3 as well..is the power gain worth the loss in fuel economy?? The L/C should be a whole new animal with double the horsepower and I'm curious if the extra little mmmmph is worth it....Then there's another whole list of other mods that have my gears turning....some of the builds on here are truely works of art.....ya'll have awakened my creative side....so as the gears grind here's a pic of the ride as she sits now, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated in which direction to go....or I guess I can just be like the FJ and go where I want and adapt to the conditions I am presented!!!
LCfore-bay.jpg

I can't help you much with which way to go but that's a great color! Welcome to the site...I'll let somebody else give you the salute ;)

nice rig! i like that rack on top. haven't seen many of those. my motor is stock but i know the vortec is a popular motor for it.

welcome :flipoff2:

I think you should lower it, put it on 50 series 22" wheels, and cruise the cape for chicks.:flipoff2:

I'd like to hear more about what you'd like it to do for you. Dedicated sand rig, rock crawler, daily in-town driver, expedition rig, long range commuter, etc.

I think you should lower it, put it on 50 series 22" wheels, and cruise the cape for chicks.************

I'd like to hear more about what you'd like it to do for you. Dedicated sand rig, rock crawler, daily in-town driver, expedition rig, long range commuter, etc.

So i should donk it out?? Sweet....but I'm gonna go with no:grinpimp: just not how i roll.....nowutimsayn???, I want something that I can drive daily, my work commute is about 25 miles, pack the wife in and head to island for the beach or towards the mountains and camp for the weekend...and is well mannered on the street, i'm not a fan of air lockers but haven't ruled them out......(my checkbook may have but I'm patient), has plenty of grunt, and will do donuts and john force burnouts:steer:....I'm not asking for much but understand the whole give and take thing....in looking at some other threads I am leaning more towards a SOA and bumping my tire height up to a 35 or 37...(just not sure how this will be for streetability, my commute runs 20 miles of 70mph+ interstate traffic, gotta be in the left lane setting the pace:D maybe this is a dream in a FJ60 but I can dream right???) but still trying to decide which way to go....thanks for the responses!!!
Monty

Welcome to the madness. Don't get the more power thing myself, the 90 or so horses in my diesel are more than happy on my 25 mile drive to work on a country highway. And I am happy with the 20+ mpg.

Enjoy the wagon

Tony

Nothing to addm, but just wanted to say welcome aboard, Monty! :flipoff2:

(Yeah, I know I don't own a 60... YET!!:p)

x2 on dokin that S***. :rolleyes::p

I have a 77 FJ 40 with an old Chevy 305 installed. Good conversion job. But the Cruiser has been sitting for 12 years. I’m thinking I might toss the 305 and put something else in. Looking closely at the 5.3 Vortec mpi. Many of the ads I see call them “Long Block”. I have no idea if that means Big Block or not, so I need to make sure that it would fit.
Can anyone tell me whether a 5.7 Vortec mpi will mount to my existing 305 mounts? Also what a Long Block means. Does the 5.3 come in small block? (This would be my first major job on this Cruiser). Arizona car and I bought it in 1993. Very clean.
I’m removing the spark plugs from my 305 and spraying WD40 in there. Hopefully I can turn the crank with a wrench to see how frozen it is. But I cannot get to the last 2 spark plugs (drivers side, near back of engine). Just can’t get my fingers in there. Is this a general problem with the 305, or is my power steering in the way? Spark plugs have been a bitch to get to for all of them, but those last 2 elude me.
Comments and recommendations are appreciated.
Thanks. (I’m in Los Alamos,NM).

Seems like this belongs in the FJ40 forum. Many conversions require jacking up the engine or some disassembly to reach all the plugs. A 'long block' is an engine block with heads - a 'short block' is just the block without heads. A 5.7 Vortec should bolt up w/o issue, a 5.3 will have significant differences, but that's a whole 'nother can of worms.

A 'big block' is a somewhat random term applied to certain engines, depending on who-knows-what. More info here: Definition of big block vs. small block - Car Forums and Automotive Chat. Read this and be as confused as everyone else.

I would try to tune up and test-run your 305 - it might be just fine. Remove all the plugs and put a teaspoon of ATF in each cylinder and wait a day or two, then try to turn it over by hand.

5.3 5.7 6.0 will not bolt right up to your existing 305 motor mounts the bolt pattern on the blocks are different.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom