New guy with new to me fzj80 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Carey322

SILVER Star
Threads
Hi everyone,
Just bought my first Land Cruiser, 97 40th Anniversary. Excited to dive in and start getting some things sorted out. I’ve been reading through this site for a few days now and the amount of information is awesome. I’m going to need a lot of the shared knowledge here.

First project will be new seals in the ARB lockers, getting gear oil spraying from the solenoid. Diff vents are clear. Should be fun, will be the first time I’ve removed a differential.
Carey

0E8556DE-AE69-4C5D-8524-424E27DD0D29.jpeg

2nd project: Getting rid of that thing on the front!

Nice rig!

That thing is just a few bolts, not really a project. More along the lines of something to do while drinking a beer. But yes I agree it needs to go, along with the tail light cages and rusty roof rack.
Might as well add the running boards to your list. Sliders make a good replacement!

The PO added ARBs? It looks in remarkably good shape for a rig ostensibly set up for wheeling.

Might as well add the running boards to your list. Sliders make a good replacement!

The PO added ARBs? It looks in remarkably good shape for a rig ostensibly set up for wheeling.
Sliders are pretty close to the top of my list. Still need to decide which ones to go with, leaning towards White Knuckle Offroad that keep the front mud flaps.

Yes, ARB's were done by a previous owner. Tons of dirt/mud under and inside, but yes the body and underside are in pretty good shape.

what seals are you looking to replace on the ARB lockers ? :confused:

if the air lines are leaking, such leak most likely would not be in the differential, but directly at the compressor, at the solenoids (most likely if the ARBs haven't been used in a while) or at the entry point of the airline(s) to the axle(s) - check those places first and/or replace the ferrules at the axles before you tear into the diffs

between 6 ARB-locked axles and a combined 51 years of use in three different vehicles, Michael and I have only experienced one ARB leak INSIDE a differential, and that was just 3 years ago

Last edited:
what seals are you looking to replace on the ARB lockers ? :confused:

if the air lines are leaking, such leak most likely would not be in the differential, but directly at the compressor, at the solenoids (most likely if the ARBs haven't been used in a while) or at the entry point of the airline(s) to the axle(s) - check those places first and/or replace the ferrules at the axles before you tear into the diffs

between 6 ARB-locked axles and a combined 51 years of use in three different vehicles, Michael and I have only experienced one ARB leak INSIDE a differential, and that was just 3 years ago
I’m getting gear oil at the compressor end of the air line. Little bit of research says the two o rings going bad in the seal housing can cause this? I checked the diff vent and it was clear. I’m definitely open to suggestions on things to check?

I see, you didn't mention the oil earlier - when I tore into this with Tools R Us, it did indeed turn out to be a problem IN the differential: there's a thin copper tube that connects to a ring bracket, and that connection had wiggled loose, breaking the tube off

turns out I never posted pics of that repair on MUD, sorry - but here's the deal: the part can still be had from ARB - depending on the vintage when your locker was produced/installed, it may look slightly different from the original, but it will still fit with rotating it

if you want, post pics or start a private communication, and I am prepared to comment

meanwhile, I will search for pics I know I took at the time - just cannot recall where they went :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Yeah, I don’t think I described the problem very well in the first post. Found a post from 2008 here on this forum about the problem. Included a diagram. Part 23 is the housing and 24 are the o-rings. Looks like $90 for a new housing with o-rings and the copper tube you described. I appreciate you taking some time to go over this.

C2729078-47C0-4FF5-B74E-EEC1CC4FECC3.png

if your rear locker locks when air is applied (you flip the switch), there's the possibility that the diff breather may be clogged, and then the gear oil pushes up to the compressor when warm - in that case, installing a diff breather line up to the cab or a rear quarter panel will take care of the problem - you won't have to open the differential (which is how we ran for several years after we got our 80 with the oil-at-the-solenoid symptom)

the part that finally broke in our 80 is #23 - diagnosis: the locker stopped locking when the switch was flipped, clearly indicating that air pressure was insufficient to the locking mechanisms, prompting the conclusion that the defect was at the airline and its connections to the differential, which turned out to be at the copper line junction to the housing seal

I cannot recall whether the replacement part came with the seals, but replacing the seals when you are in there is not a bad idea anyway

Last edited:
Definitely a few things to check before I pull the diff apart. Couple threads with info on similar issues. I’ll double check the breather and clear the arb air line first.

/good tech\

and yeah, lose the damage multipliers

congratulations on getting the truck :cheers:

Sliders are pretty close to the top of my list. Still need to decide which ones to go with, leaning towards White Knuckle Offroad that keep the front mud flaps.

Yes, ARB's were done by a previous owner. Tons of dirt/mud under and inside, but yes the body and underside are in pretty good shape.
Nice! Do you have the factory locker dial?

@jonheld has had a few good posts on the cause of oil coming out of the lines.

Search for ARB posts from Jon.

Good score on the 40th Anniversary!! Looks really nice. Welcome to MUD !

What else is on your list on mods? What kind of wheeling do you have around Bend?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom