New guy with a '69 FJ40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey everyone, I am new to the forum and wanted to introduce myself. I live in southern Ohio and FJ40's are pretty rare here, I guess because of the rust issue. Bought a mostly original and rust-free '69 FJ40 last fall. Probably paid way too much but what the heck, life is short. Seems to run pretty well. Top speed is about 50 mph (it will go faster, but it seems kinda hard on the old girl going any faster). The drum brakes are a little sketchy, but they usually work. Maybe an adjustment and bleed will help this. I have always liked FJ 40's, but never owned one until now. Been lurking on the forum for a while and have already learned a lot. Really appreciate all the members who take the time to share their knowledge on this forum. I know you all like pics, so here you go.
DSCN1167.jpg
DSCN1169.jpg
New01[1].jpg

BEAUTIFUL !!!!!!! Thats very nice and looks like its solid, welcome to Mud and keep posting. How about some pics of the inside ?

Thanks for the compliments. I think my truck is pretty nice too. My wife seems to have a different opinion though. I guess there is no accounting for taste. My plan is to drive it as is for now. Someday I would like to have it restored, keeping it original as possible. I am pretty good with basic mechanical stuff. A frame-off restoration is probably beyond my time and abilities, so I'll have to send it off somewhere. I know that's big money so it will have to wait a couple of years at least. I would like to post some interior photos, but I am having trouble getting them to upload. I'll keep working on that.

Very nice. Looks a lot like my 11/'69 but i see some minor/major differences (no top, poor windshield w/o wipers, and other odd stuff). This is a great site for older cruisers. There are many knowledgable folks. All you need now is time and money to do whatever you want. ;) Your truck looks good in the barn. Welcome to the insane asylum, ty

Welcome, and that is a nice, clean example of a 40. And the :princess: will learn to love it, they all do !!:cheers:

Nice.....69 :cool:

Get the brake done first, you will be able to run @ :steer: highway speed just ware your earplugs !

That's a very nice '40. I'd just clean it up and drive it, you can't beat a vintage unmolested rig. Your wife will change her mind when the weather gets better and you can take her for a spin on a warm evening.

Here's what my '67 looked like when I got it:

DSC02889.jpg

What a 69? I like it and yes the wife will come around you just have to start thinking of excuses to spend time with it (the cruiser).

Really nice basic rig........No flash as god intended...you're a lucky dog!!!

Paint discolored

I had to come back and look at these pictures again. Notice the color difference with the front of the rig and back. My 69 fj40 is simular. Check it out. It must have been painted with different paint and or times.

LC Before Restoration (4).jpg
LC Before Restoration (4).jpg

Based on the serial no. my truck was built in late '68. As far as I know it spent the first 40 years in the desert southwest, which probably explains why it's still with us. I don't know much about paint so I can't imagine what caused yours to age the way it did.

My cruiser was a 12/68 build. I am sure that the color difference is because of something done during the build. My color is just more pronounced. Since my rig is in a thousand pieces, I would like to see more pics of yours. Thanks for your post. btw, a nice rig. I am changing mine to a 2f engine and 4 speed on the floor with front disc brakes. Basically it will look the same but be a better driver. In the future, I may add power steering, rear disk brakes and a radio. For now I just want to get it working and back together.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom