New guy wanting a FJ60

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Howdy all,

I am looking for one of the great looking trucks to buy. I just started looking and was wondering what to look for when buying one. I currently live in the northeast and most of what I have seen involved a lot of rust. Is this common and are parts pretty easy to find.

Thanks,
Bama

Greta thanks for the info. Can't wait to find the right truck and get started

Don't be scared of getting an ugly one cheaply. They are all fun. Sometimes the castoffs seem to appreciate the love and reward you thusly. Good Luck!

might want to look for one in a non-rust belt area...out west / TX ..AZ...or in the south.

Make sure to look around the fender wells and under the body at the frame and on the roof around the drip rail and around the crappy roof rack if it has one. My preference would be a truck with no roof rack (talking about the dealer installed junk).

Once again thanks for all the information. I really want to stick with a stock vehicle. They look good enough as is in my opinion. I have tried looking around for the original colors that they came does someone have link to what they might be.

BamaBoats:

I'm in the same position you are. Read the FAQ which is on a sticky thread. Tons of great info identifying differences in the models. Once you narrowed down exactly which years of FJ60/FJ62, then start your search. Tons of great info and very friendly forum members here.

Don't be scared of getting an ugly one cheaply.

Not bad advice - if you get a good runner with some dents, enjoy it, wheel it, and keep your eye out for the next one. You can learn a lot on the first one, and that will help you spot a better example later. Just don't spend too much for the wrong truck.

if looking for a FJ60....I would look for a 1987 model without dealer roof rack and as rust free as you can find one. If you have to pass emissions then you better make sure all is stock under the hood.

Since I found this place. It has been a little easier finding good looking trucks. It's been a real big help. Any particular reason an 87 over other years.

Since I found this place. It has been a little easier finding good looking trucks. It's been a real big help. Any particular reason an 87 over other years.

Toyota constantly improved the FJ60 over the years. 1987 would be the latest and greatest. Much easier to fit the 5 speed tranny into,plus rear seatbelt shoulder anchors are in place compared to pre86 versions. Other small improvements were made also.

Great info still looking for the right one. Just can't seem to finalize it all yet, but soon I hope.

if looking for a FJ60....I would look for a 1987 model without dealer roof rack and as rust free as you can find one. If you have to pass emissions then you better make sure all is stock under the hood.

Sounds like mine...email me if you are interested in more info. chriedwa@gmail.com

IMG_0811[1].jpg

Good advice above, love the beige Chriedwa !
Go cheap and enjoy then you learn where the rust is and how to fix and repair everything , which is not bad if you don't have the cash ! better driving a heap cruiser than no Cruiser and likely still more dependable than anything on the road !
Or bite the bullet and never regret making the big purchase like the one above if it is solid in all the right places.
There are no regrets when buying a Cruiser !
Welcome and enjoy !

good body condition should be number one.... in my view, mechanicals would be 2nd. At least where I live rust is not a given, even though on the older vehicles you will find some rust issues depending on where the truck has been or how it was stored.

Of course I would not look for a "cherry" condition truck to off road a lot, but that's my view...because its just a matter of time before you start with the scratches everywhere, scrapes, dents, and hopefully non major damage.

87 as the last year of the 60 and potentially you should be able to find one on decent shape. As I noted..stay away from dealer installed roof rack, and I would stay away from rust belt trucks.

Last edited:
Well I have completely convinced the entire family that we should own a great FJ60. I am looking hard at a lot of good looking trucks. But I have a couple of hang ups.

1. I might have to buy sight unseen. Is this crazy idea, and are there any pointers to doing this.
2. Is it hard to have a car shipped.

Thanks
Bama

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom