New guy to Toyota FJ40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Thank you again. I agree about the paint suggestion. However, this rig will not be doing any off roading, I do love off roading and got a couple of rigs that I use for that purpose and sure know what a damage to the paint some weekend fun can do. Had my bronco rhino lined all around, in and out, that application can sure take a beating and won't even scratch, it does suck when you try to wash it and fades from the sun as it doesn't have uv protection, monsta liner is a much better product, uv protected, not rubber based, easier to clean and apply, and they got a crap load of colors to choose from. Thinking of doing the whole wrangler with that stuff. So far did just the interior and hardtop.

But back to the subject...the 40 is too precious to me to be beating it up, I guess to each its own ;)

@65swb45 , I'll be contracting you soon.

By the way here are a couple of pics of the motor, looks pretty rough, it's been sitting outside the 40 for as long as the 40 has been sitting out there. Does it look that it still have a chance to come back to life after a good

image.jpg

Yep that's a old f. It looks ok, I reckon get it rebuilt. Not too many old f's these days.
BTW, nice looking 40.

Oh, i just noticed the tires have even got the old hubcaps, including the spare!!!

Ditto on get it running and drive it before diving into any paint work. It looks great the way it is.
You'll have your hands full doing all of the mechanical stuff to get it back on the road and reliable.
Get it driving and enjoy it for awhile before making any long term plans.
The mechanical work is easier if you don't have to avoid scratching a new paint job.

Not sure if the Rhino liner was mentioned as an option for this truck.
Rhino liner will drop the value of it and make it impossible to ever take it back to stock.
Good luck. Wish I could find one in my region that rust free & complete.

Liner any where will hurt the value significantly..

depending on how much moisture got into that motor it easily could be brought back to life. Unless it has some major mechanical damage.

By the way here are a couple of pics of the motor, looks pretty rough, it's been sitting outside the 40 for as long as the 40 has been sitting out there. Does it look that it still have a chance to come back to life after a good

I would remove the valve cover and spark plugs, put ~1 tablespoon of light oil in each cylinder and oil the rockers. Allow it time to soak, maybe repeat, then see if it will turn. If it turns smoothly, connect a battery and turn it with the starter, see if it makes oil pressure and check compression.

Don't waste your time with the motor. The two forward head bolts have been removed. The head gasket has already been compromised. The engine will have to be at least partially disassembled before anything can be done safely.

When you come in, I'll tell you about the "stored outside" engine NLXTACY bought from In2 cruisers.:eek:

Last edited:
The problem with liner on a 40 is that a 40 tub has spot weld construction. When you put spray on liner over a 40 tub, moisture works up through the spot welds and under the liner causing rust worse than if their wasn't any liner. I would just do a rebuild on the motor, nothing crazy, hone it out, fresh seals, new bearings and rings. A lot of the character of a 40 comes from having the F or 2F. Swap a v8 in and its a totally different animal. It also hurts the resale value usually.

I have a 1970 40 and just had the original F rebuilt. I am very pleased with mine. I did add a header and ignition upgrade to mine but otherwise I have kept it original. I have about $7000.00 in my motor, clutch, etc. And all the labor so far. That may give you some idea about the cost, it certainly isn't cheap but you can save if you do more of the work yourself.

In your case, I'd try to find a low mileage, later model 2F and then 'dress' it with the original F parts.

Or find good used f motor

Don't waste your time with the motor. The two forward head bolts have been removed. The head gasket has already been compromised. The engine will have to be at least partially disassembled before anything can be done safely.

When you come in, I'll tell you a out the "stored outside" engine NLXTACY bought from In2 cruisers.:eek:

I agree that it maybe done, but there is a chance that it's not and it doesn't take much to check. We recently recovered one that had been setting outside for 12yrs, didn't take much work and it runs great.

Hi all, just wanted to post a not so updated update. 40 is still the way it was. Had a pleasure meeting Mark at Mark's offroad. He did an inspection on it and gave me several options and lots of opinions, sure knows his Landcruisers! Work has been hectic and didn't have time to deal with the rig yet, hoping to start soon. Did pick up a recently rebuilt 2f with a 4 speed transmissions. Not sure if that it what I am going to use yet, but got it just in case since it was one of them great deals. Most likely will use them though and keep the 1f in storage in case I ever want to get it rebuilt to stay with the original. From what I understand not crazy mods will need to be done to get the 2f and 4 speed in there, so I can always spend the money if I decide to do the 1f later and swap it back. Rather spend the money on other important stuff to get the 40 going. Will be posting updates when I have some. Thanks for all the replies and making this community great!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom