New guy to the site (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Let me start of by saying this site is awesome. I'm an FJ virgin and just purchased my first Mar 4th. I had no idea what I was getiing into when I bought this ride. All I new was I wanted a 4 door , fuel inj , solid axle front end and good reliablity. Owning an FJ is a whole new game to me. I'm used to putting the pedal to the metal and go.......not with this thing. I've been trouble shooting from day one and thanks to this site I was able to answer most of my questions.
My first problem was the gas mileage , about 88 miles to a TANK !. this is still a work in progress. I first up graded the coil , plugs , wires , dis cap etc. and gained 60 extra miles. Next is the desmogging of it. Headders should be in next week sometime. Then lift , gears and tires. I plan on doing custom things to it and I'll post pic's if they work.

thanks for all your info.

88 to a tank?! Man, I'm not a mechanic on here just another fj lover but i'd say you've got some issues!
I get about 12-15 to a gallon. I friggen work to fill my tank... $80 yest for about 21 gallons. I had to replace my tank cuz it sprang a hole. Got it used from cruiserparts.net up in NH. Great resource for parts.
I'm sure the guys on here will toss you some clues on ways to remedy that issue. Good luck and congrats on your new awesome vehicle!
Replace the fuel filter for one....

You should definitely be getting more than 88 miles to a tank, and even with the 60 extra miles from upgrading some things 148 miles per tank is terrible. Guessing from the fact you said fuel injected, you must have a fj62. They typically get worse mileage than a FJ60. Hope everything works out for you

Welcome :flipoff2: (Official Mud Welcome) Prince George eh? I grew up not far from there. Congrats on the new cruiser will you love it. You should get plugged into the local crusier club. Maybe Bay to Blue Ridge they meet the second Wednesday of the month. Check them out VA- Bay to Blue Ridge Cruisers

I do have a question . I want to know what everyone is running in the lift ( over or under ) tires, gears and lockers?
I'm leaning more to spring over with 4" springs , 35's and 5.29 w/lockers. More performance mods since the FJ62 is getting ready to hit the 200k mark.
I wanna hear the pros and cons , and who has the cheapest parts , best service etc.
I already plan to visit the IPOR guys next time I'm in Thornburg.
I'll be paying 1 cent for their 2 cent...according to their website.

Gen. Tso

Sprung over with 4" springs and 35's is going to be very, very tall.

5.29's will be miserable on the highway even with that tire size. High rpms at 60mph

Stock springs with Add-A-Leafs and maybe a longer than stock shackle is what I would do on a spring over.

That will clear 35's. 4.56's or 4.88's would be a better choice IMOP

And don't forget doing a spring over gets you ~6" lift alone.

HTH

And welcome to MUD :flipoff2: <------ Official IH8MUD Welcome

For a SOA people generally use stock springs with AAL's. There are other options though, 63" chevy springs are a popular swap for the rears, and they are not that expensive. Going with lifted springs will put you in the range of 38-40" tires.

IPOR 1cent for their 2 cents will be the best money you ever spent. Make sure you take Cam a WAWA coffee and candy for his kids :D (Shirley, Jack, and Ryan)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom