New guy. Need some educated opinions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Wow. That is exactly how I want ours to look. Lift, wheels, hubcaps, bushwhackers and all. Any idea how tall the lift is or what brand it is?

Showed this photo to my wife. That’s exactly how we’d like it to look when complete. Color, tires, hubcaps, lift, even the bushwhackers. Are bumpers hard to find? Ours has a 4” channel welded to the frame. It’s a mine thing. Looks good. Hafta look to see it isn’t original but I’d like to find the real deal. Any clue as to the lift? Brand and height? Thanks for the photo.

This is from a Mudder's restoration thread I found in December 2019. I saved this and another pic for reference in deciding if I should paint the fender flares I had bought or leave them black:
Olive flares2.jpeg

Didn't bother saving the Mudder's name, but if you do a search in the FJ40 Tech page for Olive 653 you may be able to find his thread and get the info> Good luck!

Should I entertain a Weber carb?
Also, there is a fan on the firewall, drivers side. Has an open ended 90 degree sweep that seems like its pointed at the carb? Is this to stop vapor lock?

I wouldn't put a Weber carb on mine. Either rebuild the stock Aisin or go with a Holley Sniper throttle-body fuel injection kit is what I would do.

Yes, the fan you mention is to stop the carb from vapor locking.

Congratulations on your new project and have fun with it.

Showed this photo to my wife. That’s exactly how we’d like it to look when complete. Color, tires, hubcaps, lift, even the bushwhackers. Are bumpers hard to find? Ours has a 4” channel welded to the frame. It’s a mine thing. Looks good. Hafta look to see it isn’t original but I’d like to find the real deal. Any clue as to the lift?

Can't speak for the owner, but that look like a 4" lift to me. The off-the-shelf lift kits are mostly all either 2-1/2" or 4". If you want to go with custom springs, you can get a non-standard lift height. That's what I did; I had Alcan Spring in Colorado Alcan Spring • Custom Leaf Springs • Handmade in the USA - https://alcanspring.com/ make me a 3" lift, here is what that looks like, with 33" tires:

DSC4144-XL.jpg

IMG_3022.jpg

Wow. That is exactly how I want ours to look. Lift, wheels, hubcaps, bushwhackers and all. Any idea how tall the lift is or what brand it is?

Hard to tell by just one picture but if this 40 is as rust free as it looks I would think twice before cutting the rear wheel wells. Not sure how familiar you and your wife are with the FJ40 but they are acquired taste. Uncut wheel wells on a FJ40 with little to low rust are hard too find. Arizona cruisers have always been in demand. Personality would get everything else up and running before tackle cosmetics. Just to bad no makes a 33"X9.50X15" and more. Those fit inside the rear wheel well better than 10.50s.

So how high is the ranch in eastern Arizona? I live most the year around 7,000' in central Arizona.

I’ve done a few weeks of research, and I heard the best words from extended shackles, skyjacker springs, and bilstein shocks as a lift combo. That’s just from my research in 4 inch lifts though.

Thanks for the quick replies. Will I need to move shackles, replace steering arm or have any drive shaft issues? Any other things to think about? Don’t plan on a rotisserie rebuild but when I install the lift I want to have everything there and do a lot of cleaning and repainting underneath. I’ve read some spooky stories about steering and handling problems after a lift. Thanks
Just curious, but if the wife wants a daily D, why the lift? -it won't help ground clearance, and raises the C of Grav so the truck is more prone to tipping--the 33's may compensate for that but, then you compensation for the compensation---seems to me the truck was designed just for what you want to use it for--then again, I'm a purist kind of stock guy--love to see pics--

I respect what people do with their 40s. But, I've lifted and installed 33s on a 40, it never fit quite right. However, the stock ride is really nice.

I would only consider 31s on a 2.5" lift if I wanted to go big and buy a suspension. Otherwise, it is SOA to keep the spring arch to a minimum, and install sway bars, etc.

But, I don't want a modern 4Runner, I want a classic Land Cruiser.

Everyday, I get tempted to buying some Coker:

It’s fairly rust free. Has a spot on the left rocker and in the drivers floorboard. A little on the right ambulance door. Won’t be too bad to fix.
Want a lift just cuz and I like clearance and big tires. Tires will increase clearance and a lift does a lot for midspan clearance, which is what usually gets you. Go with the 10.50’s because really wide tires are just dumb. If BFG still made the 9.50-33’s I’d use them. Also going to add an old 8000lb warm winch Ive has for 40 years on several rigs, which will sag the front. That’s about the only modification from stock planned. That and a new ac unit.
House is at 6400’. 60 miles south of alpine. 30 miles east of new mex. Just below rose peak. 8750’. We get a lot of 9000’+ type of weather in the winter. Seen -18 on the porch. Summers are real nice.

We have owned the '76 for about 20 years. In that time, performed some upgrades that include:
These may give you some ideas for your rig.
Vintage Air 134A AC
poly body mounts
tie rod ends
The penny trick on the steering shaft
Pertronix to get rid of the points in the distributor
Aussie locker in the rear
new upholstery
top repaint and new insulation
Halogen headlamps
Aisin carb rebuild
Maintenance items like fluids, tires, brakes, master cylinder, vacuum lines rubber brake lines.
I highly suggest that you take the distributor out, disassemble, clean and re-lube the bearings in the advance plate. Sitting so long, yours may be frozen. Research running larger tires and a lift. Many that go to big tires, end up snapping birfields with hard use. These vehicles have very short wheel base so high centering, especially used as a DD, is rare. Our Aisin carb after a rebuild has been flawless.
Enjoy the new rig.

FJ40 distributor advance.jpeg

i-B9Hkffh.jpg

I highly suggest that you take the distributor out, disassemble, clean and re-lube the bearings in the advance plate. Sitting so long, yours may be frozen.
View attachment 2662817

View attachment 2662818
If you need the replace the races (due to pitting) and the ball bearings (due to flat spots) I sell a kit with new Toyota parts:

Thanks for the heads up on the distributor and parts for it. I’ll pull it out soon. And yes on new headlights. Either halogen or led. Dizzy I’ll keep you in mind for the springs. They are quite saggy. Saw a trailer made from the bed of an Fj40. If I can find a donor I’ll make one and use the springs for it. If I live that long. Going to install the rebuilt carb this afternoon and see how it runs.
Anyone know what these are? Running lights maybe?

9B42B71F-3809-4ACE-A7B6-61583292BDD0.jpeg

And I live “west” of new mex. in AZ. 30 miles east would kinda be in Texas. I’m truly dislexic in directions. I know what I mean but always say it wrong. But I never get lost, unless I’m in town. Weird.

Cool project you got there. It needs a lot of attention and can be a bit overwhelming. Make a list of needs and wants and start chipping away at it. You can go crazy researching things like suspensions. That’s where I’m currently at. You asked about bumpers, they are still available from Toyota and online. Shop around for the best price.
I think that thing in the pic above is where the radio antenna mounts.
It’ll be a marathon so pace yourself! And post more pics!

Antenna is on the other side. And there is one of these things on the other side also. Each has a single wire going to it. Can’t tell if it had a bulb or what the heck it is.

Most likely some kind of light if on both sides.

Lift it something easy to undo
Cutting the rear wheel wells is not. My original FJ40 has signs of 31x10.50x15s rubbing the lip on the rear wheel well. This is a 68 with no lift and original springs. For most the wheeling I do 31s are tall enough. It going down narrow washes I have had problems. This was also thirty five years ago. Today on public land can't go where you use to be able. Been going off road in Coconino National Forest for fifty years. I was able to take my 68 up to Doyle Saddle up in the San Francisco Peaks before the Sierra Club moved in AZ . Now can only go a small fraction. Could in the seventies. Unless you looking for something hard core just good stock springs and 31s with get you a lot of places.

Bought this beauty in Safford ten years ago
The carrot 025.jpg

Bought from original owner. Safford is not to far south of you is it?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom