New Guy in Town !!! (What to do with my Runner ???) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello Everybody !!!
Let me introduce me first. My name is Facundo, I am 36 years old, I am an oral surgeon, was born in Argentina, but grow up in Barcelona, Spain.
I was related to Toyotas since I was a child (father´s first gen hilux), I owed a 1993 solid axl 2.4 diesel Hilux, during the University in Argentina again.
With this hilux I made two times in different summer hollidays a complete round-trip to Argentina.

Toyarg1.jpg

Toyarg2.jpg

Many years later, when I returned to Spain, I made the big mistake on buying a 2001 2.7 Turbo Diesel Hilux prepared by Delta 4x4. Piece of crap ...

5.jpg

After that nightmare, I decided to buy an old 3.0 V6 2nd gen 4runner and restore it.
This was and still is, my biggest pesonal project for the last 4 years. Everything in the car is fabbed and modded by myself and my buddy Cesc.

P1010337.jpg

IMG_0096.jpg

I felt I was completed.
But ( Always exists a but ...) few weeks ago, was surfing the net, with my wife sitting next to me, when suddenly there she was ... CALICRUISER´s 60.
I was hipnotized, and so was my wife too.
You are not going to trust me, but HOW THE HELL did a Yota Lover, never noticed the existence of these beauty???
And there started the dilemma. What to do.
I really love my Runner, but the land Cruiser hj 60 ,was also love at first sight.
The last two weeks, I was searching for all the info I could get, and so discovered that ih8mud was specifically for LandCruiser (yes I am stupid...).
I actually participate quite a lot in Yotatech forum ;)
I feel a bit seasick right now.
Comparing the engine 4.0 Diesel from the hj 60 1984, with my 3.0 V6 famous slowrunner, how about speed ?
I know the 4.0 Diesel is super-reliable engine, but is it powerfull enough for 35´s regeared ???
I want a SOA for sure , but I am really scared about cutting and turning the end of the axl housing .... (Don´t scare me too much, please...).
Right now I feel very lost.
I have no idea about LandCruisers, I will have to start from cero;( I was starting to now something about runners).
Hope I´ll make some good new friends here.
A round of Cold Beers for everybody !!!
Cheers
Facu
;)

PS: Sorry for my english ...:D

Facu - welcome! I can't answer all of your questions, but possibly some.

Speed and Landcruiser do not go together. I'd never setup a LC and expect speed. Slower typically is better as it usually means lower gearing. You are lucky and if you get a HJ60 it likely will have a 5 sp which helps a lot at freeway speeds.

Regeared I know the HJ will push 35's - our gas 2f's do it. how low you go gearing will likely be determined on your use. If it's trailered to the trail - you can go as low as you want, plus put in a toybox or similar doubler. If DD - you will have to find a middle ground so it's driveable on the freeway.

You are in the right place! I suggest you read the FAQ sticky at the top. It will get you familiar with a lot of LC specific issues and ideas on how to build your 60.

have you found one yet? Great looking trucks btw. I like the hilux the best of the 3.

And your english is excellent compared to my spanish!

Good luck!

rob

Bienvenido :)

Get a HJ60 and add a turbo and you should be in great shape for running 35's. Maybe you can find someone in Spain that can cut & turn your axles. Get a cruiser and start a buildup thread and you will get all the advice you need to do anything on it.

Check here for all your diesel related questions.

https://forum.ih8mud.com/diesel-tech-24-volts-systems/

Bienvenido Facu!
I'm afraid I can't offer much help as my rusty rig is pretty much stock. I hear the cut-and-turn isn't that tough though. I love your old red Hilux! Wish we got those in the US.

Your English is better than many of the regulars on here!
:cheers:
Trasero feo Carlos

Welcome to Mud Facu! Love your old Hilux and your Runner. I cannot offer much help, but x2 on adding a turbo and you'll turn 35's with little to no problems.
Cant wait to see a build thread :popcorn:

-Carl

I'll never forget when I saw a hilux crew. It had been imported and just blew my mind. Thanks for the pics and welcome. Like the others have said it is not about speed. Once you come to terms with that you really start to enjoy the 60's. They give you a chance to take a look around. Welcome to the madness.

Last edited:
Bienvenido a la adiccion!:)

the only thing worse than a 2F for power is the 3.slow I would think a turboed deisel would be way better on power and MPG's

Thanks a lot guys for your kind welcome !!!
Right now I´m trying to buy a 1984 hj60 in france.
Absolutely rust free, with 210,000 kms on the odo.
ONE owner !!!
A real Candy.
But laws in Spain related to the european comunity export/import have changed in the last six months, so
I need to do some documents research ...
As soon as I have any news, of course I´ll let you all know, ok ?
I suspected nothing could be slower than the 3.0 V6, hahahahahahahahaha !!! (Love her music anyways).
Cheers
Facu
;)

Thanks a lot guys for your kind welcome !!!
Right now I´m trying to buy a 1984 hj60 in france.
Absolutely rust free, with 210,000 kms on the odo.
ONE owner !!!
A real Candy.
But laws in Spain related to the european comunity export/import have changed in the last six months, so
I need to do some documents research ...
As soon as I have any news, of course I´ll let you all know, ok ?
I suspected nothing could be slower than the 3.0 V6, hahahahahahahahaha !!! (Love her music anyways).
Cheers
Facu
;)

Well I'd say 22re can be slower than a 3.slow. My 2f is nice and beefy, I can do 95mph with it.:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom