New Guy in Bakersfield/Southern CA looking for local advice/shop (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello everyone. I'm new here and in the market for an 80. I've had a 3rd Gen 4Runner and a Jeep YJ in the past and this seems like a big step up.

Does anyone know of any reliable shops or local pros in the general Bakersfield CA area that could help out with a pre-purchase inspection? I've been diligent about reading the FAQ on here and at Slee etc. but I don't really feel I can check all the problem areas thoroughly enough myself. I don't have a garage right now and I'm fairly limited on my tools so doing things like a knuckle rebuild or even the PHH would have to be done at a shop and end up being really costly. I'm fairly close to LA and several 80s that I'm looking are there anyway so I could always go there instead.

Send a pm to @cruiserfj45 (Jacob). He's a former Toyota mechanic and is somewhat close to Bakersfield. He rebuilt my motor and really knows his stuff. He may not have the time to travel to do this pre-inspection, but it's a lead to find someone.

No recommendations on a shop or mechanic... But if you haven’t already – check this video out for some pre-purchase pointers and things to look for during inspection.

Thanks for the mechanic contact and the video. It’s much appreciated.

I'm probably overthinking it but I get nervous when I read all the horror stories on the forum. I've foolishly bought a few money pits in the past so I'm trying to really take my time and research. I just don't have enough mechanical knowledge to feel confident on the inspection. Plus I haven't driven one yet so it's hard to know the good from the bad.

OTRAMM also did live chats on his youtube channel for a while. Talk about a straight channel to the all-knowing.
The chats I think have taken a back seat, but they are excellent for review. It's uncanny how something I might have been dealing with at a particular time was inevitably brought up by someone in the chat.

Always worth a watch.

OTRAMM also did live chats on his youtube channel for a while. Talk about a straight channel to the all-knowing.
The chats I think have taken a back seat, but they are excellent for review. It's uncanny how something I might have been dealing with at a particular time was inevitably brought up by someone in the chat.

Always worth a watch.

Thanks. Looks like lots of good info on those.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom