New goodies found, what is it? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
After owning my 1979 FJ-40 for over twenty years, I finally decided to lift the hood and see what's new. Under a bunch of yellow tape I found what looks like a socket. What is it? See picture...

Still don't know how to add pictures!!!

https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=51587

Last edited:
krzyabncanuck;
I think you are right. It is factory suppied, bundled with the main wiring harness along with the 5amp fuses for the ampmeter. All wrapped up in tape.

Thanks for the replys.
dfm

Finding out where the wires go/when powered would be a good start to figuring out what it does. never seen one.

looks like a light bulb would go in there, so maybe the PO added a underhood light, I don't think its stock.

the yellow tape is OEM.....the black tape......might be PO.

Landpimp;
Yes, it was wrapped in yellow tape. I'm the original owner and the only one that's messed with the wiring. I have the OEM drop light, so I will do some snooping with my VOM & wiring diagram just for the hell of it. I'm doing a new dual battery setup so I decided on rewiring the fuse link and designing a power distribution set up like in my FZJ80.
http://homepage.mac.com/dfmorse/BattProj2/page7.html
One of the reasons I love cruisers is the suprises that u find when u start digging into wires and stuff.

dfm

hmmm, no clue then, but my 82's don't have that, it suprises me where its mounted.........thats not where I would think toyota would mount "something"

I will look at some of my "stuff" and see if I see anything like that

dfmorse said:
Landpimp;
Yes, it was wrapped in yellow tape. I'm the original owner and the only one that's messed with the wiring. I have the OEM drop light, so I will do some snooping with my VOM & wiring diagram just for the hell of it. I'm doing a new dual battery setup so I decided on rewiring the fuse link and designing a power distribution set up like in my FZJ80.
http://homepage.mac.com/dfmorse/BattProj2/page7.html
One of the reasons I love cruisers is the suprises that u find when u start digging into wires and stuff.

dfm

you mean the trouble light that plugs in, inside the glove box(or the firewall, depending on year) ? is so yes Toyota does, about $20-5

if you mean an underhood light.......there is no such thing on a Cruiser(not even a 2005 100 series)

bonzai said:
does anyone sell the factory underhood light?

My 79 that I gave my daughter had that same socket. I found it while I was cleaning up the wiring mess from the PO.

John

any clue what it is for?

Living in the Past said:
My 79 that I gave my daughter had that same socket. I found it while I was cleaning up the wiring mess from the PO.

John

I do believe that the plug shown, given it's proximity to an unused set of mounting bolts on the firewall, indicates that it is for plugging in the Air Conditioning Main Relay that would have been mounted on that unused set of mounting bolts, if that '79 had A/C.

My '79 has the exact same plug and unused mounting bolts. I don't have A/C. Seen pictures of A/C though and there was a shiny box mounted to the firewall there and the wiring diagrams show an A/C main relay in A/C equipped vehicles.

That's my guess anyway.

HTH,
-Will

I'll buy that. Odd the 82's don't have it, but 79 was the 1st year for OEM AC.....so maybe its just a one year deal.

cajun said:
I do believe that the plug shown, given it's proximity to an unused set of mounting bolts on the firewall, indicates that it is for plugging in the Air Conditioning Main Relay that would have been mounted on that unused set of mounting bolts, if that '79 had A/C.

My '79 has the exact same plug and unused mounting bolts. I don't have A/C. Seen pictures of A/C though and there was a shiny box mounted to the firewall there and the wiring diagrams show an A/C main relay in A/C equipped vehicles.

That's my guess anyway.

HTH,
-Will

off topic here a bit, just a bit!
snooping around in my 85' runner's rear storage covers to find a black OEM bag and a brown inspection light (like 40's), chord never unravelled, and next to the "gas tank open" knob, there is a plug for the light and there you have, looked it up in the stock owner's manual and viola! 4Runner inspection light and probably just enough length of chord to get to most points on the vehicle. I never knew minitrucks had this feature. Hijack over!

yup, my 87 4runner had one. last Cruiser to get it was the fj60, pretty sure the 62+ didn't get them

Wayneraintree said:
off topic here a bit, just a bit!
snooping around in my 85' runner's rear storage covers to find a black OEM bag and a brown inspection light (like 40's), chord never unravelled, and next to the "gas tank open" knob, there is a plug for the light and there you have, looked it up in the stock owner's manual and viola! 4Runner inspection light and probably just enough length of chord to get to most points on the vehicle. I never knew minitrucks had this feature. Hijack over!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom