New Garmin GPSMAP 66i Features inReach Capabilitiy (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Garmin recently announced their latest GPS outdoor navigation device which also includes inReach functionality. The price point is 200 dollars more, it looks better, the GUI is more up to date, but the battery life is significantly shorter. For comparison, the old Garmin inReach Explorer+ featured up to 30 days in standby mode while the 66i only lasts up to 200 hours. The question stirring in my head right now is at what point do we value more capabilities and less battery life for a device that is designed around being a lifeline in case of a life threatening emergency? This seems like a device suited more for the weekend warrior types, and less for the JMT/PCT/AT group. Thoughts?

I value the navigator part of the device as a big fat 0. Standalone navigator are almost pointless nowadays given that you want to carry your phone with you and offline maps work really well on phones.

I have the least expensive InReach device and 100% happy with it.

I value the navigator part of the device as a big fat 0. Standalone navigator are almost pointless nowadays given that you want to carry your phone with you and offline maps work really well on phones.

I have the least expensive InReach device and 100% happy with it.

So you have the mini? I've often wondered about the Mini and the fact that I need a charged phone to navigate maps, send non-canned messages, etc. The battery life also wasn't as good as the inReach system. So in that scenario, you actually lose capabilities and battery life.

So you have the mini? I've often wondered about the Mini and the fact that I need a charged phone to navigate maps, send non-canned messages, etc. The battery life also wasn't as good as the inReach system. So in that scenario, you actually lose capabilities and battery life.

I have the older Delorme Inreach SE, before Garmin acquired Inreach. I am happy with the battery life although I haven't really pay alot of attention but I think it lasted a week at least.

I’ll go the other way. I’m in Alaska and when out of the vehicle rarely carry my inReach and phone. If the phone dosnt work I’d rather leave it in the car. We have four inReach explorer+ One for each member of the family. We use them quite often for texting each other when out in the bush and navigation. When the kids and I caribou hunt my wife can track us from home. When we do long backcountry bike trips my brother can check in ou our progress. They work awesome.

Looks like battery life on tracking with 30 min intervals is good. I’ve also had good success charging ours off of a small goal zero solar Nomad 7.

Are you saying you rarely carry the phone OR inreach? Or that you carry the inreach in lieu of the phone?

Are you saying you rarely carry the phone OR inreach? Or that you carry the inreach in lieu of the phone?
We rarely carry both phone AND inReach at the same time. We have an inReach in each of our cars as up here in AK since we have large stretches of road with no cell coverage. When we get off the road system there is no cell coverage. If we are somwhere where phones work reliably then we carry phones. But if the phones won’t have service we don’t carry them and use the inReach(s) to track and message.

What does jmt/pct/at mean?

@leonard_nemoy

JMT: John Muir Trail (Runs from Yosemite to Lone Pine, Ca)

PCT: Pacific Crest Trail (runs from the US/Mexico border through California, Oregon, Washington, and up to the US/Canada Border)

AT: Appalachian Trail

Well I am not hiking for 200 hours or 30 hours away from a vehicle or a charging source. But this looks like a great GPS. I am wondering if I can put the marine maps on it?

Cell phones have limits with apps, and I'm not sure I would want to use it as my GPS solely. I have a GPS app for marine use on my phone and it really eats the battery life. So much so I have to double click and close the app while using it to preserve like of the battery or I might not have enough battery for all day. I find my self using batteries to extend the battery all the time. Like 12 volt plug ins or sticks. My battery is new on my phone too.

Well I am not hiking for 200 hours or 30 hours away from a vehicle or a charging source. But this looks like a great GPS. I am wondering if I can put the marine maps on it?

Cell phones have limits with apps, and I'm not sure I would want to use it as my GPS solely. I have a GPS app for marine use on my phone and it really eats the battery life. So much so I have to double click and close the app while using it to preserve like of the battery or I might not have enough battery for all day. I find my self using batteries to extend the battery all the time. Like 12 volt plug ins or sticks. My battery is new on my phone too.

I've kept up with the reviews on this device and right now intended features such as weather does not work. There are various other software bugs that convinced me to stay away until more software updates come out.

I've kept up with the reviews on this device and right now intended features such as weather does not work. There are various other software bugs that convinced me to stay away until more software updates come out.
I don't think Garmin has released a device in the last 10 years that wasn't buggy. If I was in the market to upgrade I would skip over the 66i and wait for the Overlander for $100 more … after they get the bugs worked out of that. It's already a month+ late on release.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom