New FZJ80 Owner (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Ask your local Toyota dealerships or better try to find the OEM repair manual on eBay. Obviously mine is a ‘93 but I’m sure you’ll find your year model. You got a nice looking rig there. I’ve had mine for 23 years and would get another in a hot minute if it ever vanished.
PS: I’ve had this Repair Manual for about as many years as the LC and it and this forum have saved me a bundle. Congrats!

image.jpg

This is great. Thanks for the encouraging words, guys! I think I'm going to start with oil change and some undercarriage surface rust removal. Steering is off but I don't want to tackle that.

Soon you’ll want a second one.

:clap:
And a 3rd, 4th, 5th....
When I went to State Farm to insure my second one the lady working there said, “What is it with Land Cruisers? I have another client with 9.”

I can see that happening to me. I used to have 5 old Porsches. Down to 2. I love well built things.

I can see that happening to me. I used to have 5 old Porsches. Down to 2. I love well built things.

Here is a pdf copy of the 1996 FSM. This should be pretty much the same as a '97.

http://www.trollholescruisers.com/Tech/Manuals/Chassis and Body/1996 FZJ80 FSM.pdf

Here is the electrical diagram manual

https://static1.squarespace.com/sta...442806549877/1996+Toyota+Land+Cruiser+EWD.pdf

I think you'll find that it's easier, cheaper and more time efficient to learn how to fix a lot of this stuff yourself. There aren't that many mechanics that like to work on these trucks and they won't do things the "MUD' way which will leave your wallet lighter and you're attitude sour. Some things are tougher than others, but between the forum, the FSM and the network of suppliers here, there is really no reason that you can't plan and execute most of the work likely needed and it's especially more likely if you have another vehicle to drive if things need to take more than a day to get it done. I know you said the axle was just rebuilt, but to use it as an example, you can buy new parts and bearings for less than $250 for the axle kit and then upgrade the brakes at the same time since you will already be in there. Shops are going to want to charge you $1500 in labor, but you can do it in your driveway in a weekend. If you pay someone to do everything, it may become expensive and you'll always be hassling with getting them the parts or just using whatever they can get from their aftermarket suppliers. Using OEM parts is key for a lot of things.

Thanks for the links!! Are these trucks hard to work on? I'm a novice... like oil change and brakes novice!

I'm loving this community. Reminds me of Rennlist which I've been a member of for years...

Thank you.

Thanks for the links!! Are these trucks hard to work on? I'm a novice... like oil change and brakes novice!

I'm loving this community. Reminds me of Rennlist which I've been a member of for years...

Thank you.
These trucks are not hard to work on at all if you have a decent set of tools, jack stands and a good jack(the factory jack is fine, but a good floor jack saves a lot of time). Also good to have at least a level space to work and even better if it's a garage or at least is covered.

You just have to get used to using the FSM and learning to use the search function here to find threads where people have already tackled all of the common(and not so common) issues and upgrades that usually come up. If you are stuck, it's often better to ask your question in those threads so that the next person will be able to see what the answers were, but you can always start a new thread if you can't find an old one that gets to the heart of what you need.

These trucks are from an earlier, simpler, era and they were designed to be repairable in remote environments all over the planet. Unless you wheel a lot, most stuff doesn't really just break all at once on American roads, it starts to show signs of wear, which allows you to develop a plan of action and get all of your parts, tools and supplies ready to tackle the job once you've diagnosed the issue and researched it here and in the FSM. There are a lot of good youtube vids out there as well.

Good luck!

Good to know. Luckily it's not going to be my daily driver so I can take my time. Hope that their known-for reliability is real on mine...

Good to know. Luckily it's not going to be my daily driver so I can take my time. Hope that their known-for reliability is real on mine...
Most people seem to spend about $2K "baselining" their trucks in the first year of ownership. They are reliable, but time and miles are catching up to them so you will probably find things that it needs at this point.

I do believe there are times when you need a good mechanic. I have one at Tandem Automotive in Ft Worth that just works on Toyota’s. Here is a starting point: CRUISER MECHANICS - Listed by State

Welcome! @niche these aren't very hard to work on. They are big and spacious with everything being overbuilt. There are times when pieces are HEAVY though.

If you were thinking of a floor jack, I am pretty pleased with the Daytona Floor Jack by Harbor Freight. It is as good as any higher priced ones I have seen and it lifts my truck in about 4 pumps.

There is no shame in using a good Land Cruiser technician. You'll just need to ask around to find someone familiar with these things. They've been so very reliable that even the master technicians at some Toyota dealerships aren't very familiar.

I look forward to seeing you around here!

I agree there is nothing wrong with using a good mechanic if you need one. I found a great machine shop that followed my instructions and did an excellent job on my head. When I initially called around to see who might do the entire top end job that I wanted done, I didn't have any luck and several shops gave me a flat "no" and one guy said he would do it until he found out it was 80 Series. I ended up doing it myself and while it was a lot of work, it really wasn't that hard. It's all just bolts and as long as you get them all back on correctly, I would say most people could do it.

I think it depends on where you live and the number of other 80s in the area. I have seen 4 separate 80s in my region over the course of the last 2 years of looking. I don't think there were too many people that could afford to buy one up here and that plays into the familiarity that mechanics have with them too.

Last edited:
I do believe there are times when you need a good mechanic. I have one at Tandem Automotive in Ft Worth that just works on Toyota’s. Here is a starting point: CRUISER MECHANICS - Listed by State

Great list to have thanks!

My goal is to start off small and go from there. For now I have to get it ready for a porsche club event for cayennes. Who knows they might need someone to pull them out of trouble! ;)

Great list to have thanks!

My goal is to start off small and go from there. For now I have to get it ready for a porsche club event for cayennes. Who knows they might need someone to pull them out of trouble! ;)
I’ve said those words too. So far I haven’t gone crazy. But I have dreams now...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom