New fzj80 hesitation at low rpms (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
i just purchased my 1993 fzj80 a few weeks ago. Recently I have noticed that intermittently but fairly often I have no power or a hesitation from idle about 2200 rpm. It's mostly only if under load i.e. From a stop or up hills. I have also noticed an emissions smell (the best I can call it) when it gets bad. It does it cold or warmed up. 230k and has had a lot done by the previous owner who's a member on the forum I believe.

The only theories I have are, something causing an incorrect fuel mixture or possible something torque converter related.

Any input is greatly appreciated as I said I'm new to land cruiser but I've already fallen in love with it.

Do you have a check engine light? It's possible that you have an EGR problem, which is common. I am dealing with that now.

K I'll check that out the distributor and egr, don't think it's firing order due to the intermittent nature but I'll look at that too. No check engine light and what's the best way to check egr just pull it and look for build up?

I had the same symptoms with my '93 when I bought it. Start simple and do all of the preventative maintenance you can (i.e. sock filter, fuel filter, plugs, wires, cap, belts, pcv valve and grommet, timing, etc.). It is good to do all of this anyway even if it doesn't fix your problem. You will know it is done and done right. The PM will also make your truck run so much smoother and quieter (Toyota belts), which helps with troubleshooting immensely! Use OEM and don't think twice about it!! O2 sensors can cause the symptoms you are describing. Try unplugging them and see how it runs. Keep it simple at the beginning as you can waste a lot of money. Most shops don't have a clue about how to work on these things. Find a true cruiser mechanic in your area in case you have to take it in. Good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom