New FZJ80, couple questions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
After doing some homework, mostly on this forum in particular, I pulled the trigger on an 1996 FZJ80 in Vegas and drive it home to Denver this past weekend. Trip went surprisingly well, although apparently when the lift was put in the caster was not corrected. I wasn't initially concerned as it's only a 2.5" lift but it got quite interesting on some of the more grooved/rutted sections of I-70 and needs to be fixed before any other long distance travels. The other issue that's a little more puzzling is that there is a ~2 Hz pulse coming from something on/in the engine above 4k rpms that's strong enough to rattle the mirrors. Are these externally balanced and the harmonic balancer is just old? The engine has 179k on it at this point and otherwise runs great.

Also, an obligatory pic next to its temporary sibling (FJC is disappearing):
20141019_122037.jpg

Ewww, careful you don't get any Jeep on it!

:eek:

You might be getting some driveline vibration or something...

Ha, that's my neighbor's. I don't think it's moved in about 10 months.

I initially thought driveline as well, but it's directly tied to engine speed, not road speed. An upshift and it goes away. I suppose that means something in the trans would be possibility too then.

I would think driveline as well. I have a 2.5 inch lift and when I first lifted it noticed that as specific RPM's in different gears I would get a temporary vibration. After it shifted up or down or changed RPM by 500 or so it would vanish.

In all reality you could be right and it could be something with the engine; but one thing I have learned on the 80...tackle the easy stuff first.

Go get some grease, and take care of the u joints, yokes and the knuckles. I have seen so many posts about vibrations and then a good grease solves it all.

That's the cheapest and easiest fix...plus if it doesn't fit it :flipoff2: it's PM you got out of the way!

Valid point. The driveshafts were both recently rebuilt and balanced, but grease is cheap enough that it's worth a shot.

Fortunately this is not my DD so I've got some time to mess with it.

Also, I'm debating keeping the 17's with 35's on them from the FJC, mostly because the rims have some rock rash so resale value isn't terribly high. How much extra squish/footprint would I get on the trail from going down to a 16" rim with 35's?

Ha, that's my neighbor's. I don't think it's moved in about 10 months.

I initially thought driveline as well, but it's directly tied to engine speed, not road speed. An upshift and it goes away. I suppose that means something in the trans would be possibility too then.

Have you isolated the noise to the engine or transmission my being in park? Not in gear.

Congrats on the purchase. :cheers:

Good thought. Somehow I didn't think of that yesterday, then again that was after 16 hrs in the cruiser getting it home (took a 3 hr power nap at about 2 am).

Also, I'm debating keeping the 17's with 35's on them from the FJC, mostly because the rims have some rock rash so resale value isn't terribly high. How much extra squish/footprint would I get on the trail from going down to a 16" rim with 35's?

Not sure on the exact math; but I have always been a fan of the old school look; small rim HUGE rubber. If I could run 15's without grinding the s*** out of my calipers I would. But that's personal preference I guess.

Bumping this with an update: We just took the 80 on a 4500 mile road trip starting/ending at our place outside of Denver. Pulled our little fiberglass camper, dogs, mtbs, and tools nearly the entire time. Certainly wasn't the fastest vehicle on the highways most of the time but it did get us there and back and returned about 11 mpg overall. Obligatory picture from Glacier:
11242349_10100288954030776_6022681733416602224_o.jpg

The only hiccups were a really hot trans tunnel (which seems to be due to an overfill of the trans by whomever did it last - correcting that ASAP) and the idle rpms jumping up after driving in warm weather for awhile. Going to try cleaning the IAC and TPS to see if that helps. Also burning about 1 qt of oil every 1100 miles, even after switching to 15W40. Smokes a little on start up but not bad. Thinking valve stem seals.

Now it's time for the street shoes to come off and the 35s to go on...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom