New Fuel tank, but no fuel (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Toyota dealership replaced fuel tank on my 86 fj60. The truck wasn’t running and they gave me an excuse they couldn’t open the fuel door.. so they never tested anything.

I got the truck running and have been using a 1 gallon fuel tank. I blew out the hard lines, hooked up a new fuel filter and new soft hoses and cannot get it to get fuel from the tank. Fuel pump is working fine and they did replace the fuel sending unit (if that has anything to do with sending fuel?).. so my thought is it has to be the hard line might be clogged or maybe the fuel pick up line in the tank? Am I going down the right path

Are the soft lines connected correctly? You can peer into the tank through the back of the truck to see if anything is obstructing the flow.

There’s an access panel under the carpet behind the rear seat. Remove that. Remove the sending unit. Use a flashlight to see if anything is obstructing the pickup line. It’s located forward and to the right of the tank.

There’s a screen over it to prevent large debris from being passed into the lines. There’s also a slosh wall around the pickup to help prevent stalling when the truck is bouncing around on the trail.

My guess is they connected something incorrectly or they allowed some trash to fall into the tank during installation that’s blocking the pickup.

Are the soft lines connected correctly? You can peer into the tank through the back of the truck to see if anything is obstructing the flow.

There’s an access panel under the carpet behind the rear seat. Remove that. Remove the sending unit. Use a flashlight to see if anything is obstructing the pickup line. It’s located forward and to the right of the tank.

There’s a screen over it to prevent large debris from being passed into the lines. There’s also a slosh wall around the pickup to help prevent stalling when the truck is bouncing around on the trail.

My guess is they connected something incorrectly or they allowed some trash to fall into the tank during installation that’s blocking the pickup.
Any idea if the lower line along the frame is the supply line? I’ve seen contradicting info on Mud. I’ll try blowing that out again. I haven’t opened up

I peered inside the tank through the sending unit opening and didn’t see any obvious signs of something blocking the pickups. I’m thinking the soft lines either have a blockage or are hooked up incorrectly.

Of the two hard lines that are the same size, I have the lower one as my supply line with a clear inline filter. Is that correct?

The lower line is the supply line, yes.

You can look up diagrams of any system on these trucks. Mud search function isn’t that great, but if you go to google and type your search there with “Ih8mud” at the end it will send you to a lot more pertinent information.

You can also find the factory service manuals in digital for on here.

Try blowing things out and if that doesn’t work then I would go back to Toyota and get some answers. I know those techs look at these old trucks and panic sometimes, but that’s their job. The truck was getting fuel before they honored the tank install and now it’s not getting fuel to the engine. It is their problem.

My guess:

Fuel tank is either empty or has very little fuel in it. When you got the truck back how much gas did you put in the tank? In other words how much is in there right now? On top of guessing that there's very little fuel in the tank, Toyota switched the send & return lines somewhere. The return tube sits up higher in the tank than the send tube, and the system is trying to suck fuel from that higher up tube that isn't down in bottom where the small (or none) amount of fuel is - it's just sucking air. So let's experiment with switching the lines and make sure we're pulling from the send tube that sits nice and low in the tank, the one that can sip those last precious drops of gas.

The info about which line is which at the firewall isn't really there in the FSM, but if you look at enough photos & diagrams you can figure it out. I would tell you but I forget. The lines could also be switched at the tank. Try this: with the soft fuel lines connected to the hardlines at the lower firewall (near the starter) in the arrangement they are right now try cranking the truck for a while, like 15-20 seconds. Not trying to burn the starter out, just getting enough suction to pull the air past the fuel filter where you could visibly see fuel. Maybe have a helper watch the fuel filter while you crank or vice versa. Try that a couple times and if you get nothing switch the hoses at the lower firewall. Now repeat the process and see if you can get the pump to suck fuel and push air forward past the filter again. Remember, you've probably got 10' of air in the lines.

I could be very wrong here, but that's my shot in the dark guess.

show the dealer how to open the fuel door
and
have the dealer figure it out

show the dealer how to open the fuel door
and
have the dealer figure it out
Nearest dealership is 50 miles and truck is currently not ready to make that journey. I had it towed there and it was basically pulling teeth to get the recall completed. I didn’t have a good experience, otherwise I would’ve made them finish the job

Ooof… a 50 mile tow? I’ve done that before. Did you drive the truck home?

Ooof… a 50 mile tow? I’ve done that before. Did you drive the truck home?
No, towed both ways. It was expensive.. but cheaper than a new tank. I’ll switch the lines and hopefully that solves the problem

They can change a tank but couldn't open the fuel door? Real men of genius right there.
So they must have added gas through the sending unit window, probably no more than a gallon or two.
@CruiserTrash is probably right, the lower line is not sucking fuel.

It is now running off its own fuel tank! I swapped the soft lines at the tank, so the hard line to the left on the tank (inboard) is feeding the lower hard line. I also switched the supply line to the upper part on the fuel pump (I guess I read the diagram wrong- the top of the fuel pump is where the supply line goes).

Let it idle to temp and my heater return line going into the bottom of the radiator sprung a leak… of course that was the one hose I didn’t replace when I did the cooling system- onto the next fix!

@Pr86yota the fuel pump will have labels cast in the metal for which line is which.

Glad it works for now!

Hello I was wondering if the 86 fj60 has the same internal fuel tank lines as my May 1984 FJ60 - other than I think the early FJ60's had no in the tank filter? I found the line that curves and lays flat (which is probably the send line) was 95% clogged with rust. I blew compressed air through it but that still left some rust. Tapping on it with the rubber handles of a heavy tool knocked out a bunch of rust. I tried running some insulated 14 gauge electric wire through it but it gets stuck. I'm gonna soak it in carb cleaner for an hour and keep working on it.

I'm wondering if the dealer didn't take the time to clean out @Pr86yota internal lines?

The first two picture are before cleaning the outside. The last is after I cleaned the outside but the inside still has some rust.

PXL_20231006_233350146.jpg

PXL_20231006_233416787.jpg
PXL_20231008_192134125.jpg

That pickup tube is available new from Toyota. I remember it being less than $50 and it comes with a new gasket and screws. The easy button here might be just replacing it with a new one.

That pickup tube is available new from Toyota. I remember it being less than $50 and it comes with a new gasket and screws. The easy button here might be just replacing it with a new one.
That is good info and not a bad price for how important it is.

Can't seem to find the part but I did find a fuel tank, 77001-60241, priced at 770.12.

Last edited:
I have the pickup tubes on sale right now…

That is good info and not a bad price for how important it is.

Can't seem to find the part but I did find a fuel tank, 77001-60241, priced at 770.12.

I don’t think Toyota will sell you the tank unless it’s as part of the recall, in which case it’s free. I’ve heard of people being able to buy them, but mostly those folks have “connections”.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom