New fuel pump - won't start (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just replaced a bad fuel pump with a new one on a late 60's F engine. Also cleaned the old bowl style style filter. Everything's hooked back up correctly, but not getting any fuel up the line from the gas tank. (The gas tank is full, but the filter bowl is bone dry, as is everything else up stream from there.)

Is there a priming procedure? (Nope, I don't have one of those cool primer handles on the pump itself.) How do you get it flowing?

are you sure the pump is seating correctly? did you use a spacer or not? some use it, some don't. sounds like the arm is not making contact or..........something.

I have always just cranked them over and they fire right up, no priming or anything.

Nope, the spacer wasn't necessary. Wasn't one there before and I measured the distance from the face of the pump to the end of the arm on the old pump: identical.

Of course all the fuel dumped out of the lines when I disconnected everything during the install. Should the fuel pump be 'suck-worthy' enough to draw gas up through 2-3 feet of dry lines from the tank? :confused:

Either the pump arm missed the cam lobe or the diaphram inside the new pump is bad. No priming should be necessary for a fresh good pump.

New style pumps ('79 and up) with the three lines need to use a spacer. The spacer is about a half inch. If you install it w/o one, you will bend the arm.

Pin_Head said:
New style pumps ('79 and up) with the three lines need to use a spacer. The spacer is about a half inch. If you install it w/o one, you will bend the arm.

probably not a problem on a
Landcruisersteve said:
late 60's F engine

brian said:
did you try blowing shop air back through the line to the tank? new pump might have been enough to suck some crap in the line.

No, I haven't tried that yet. Good idea!

Yep, I pulled output line off the pump while I tried cranking it, and it appears to be doing its job pumping (as far as the arm being properly seated on the cam lobe). Trouble is, it's just pumping air through. So it must be a clog down-stream some place between the pump and the tank.

Thanks, Brian.

sonoranfun said:
Why not just switch to an electric?

Another good point. Can you put in both an electric and a mechanical pump as a back-up to each other? If so, which one goes in line first?

Any particular model of electric pump that might be available locally from an auto parts store?

Disconnect both fuel lines from the fuel pump and attach rubber hoses, place one in a gas can and the other in an emtpy can. Turn it over and if there is gas in the empty can the fuel pump is pumping, start checking the lines between the pump and the tank. If not look at the fuel pump.

I just put all my fuel lines back in and it took a lot of cranking to finally fill the system with fuel. So it may just be a matter of turning it over longer too.

yes you can, but no I wouldn't, the electic pump would go before the mechanical pump if you did this.

but really the stock mechanical pump does a great job and will last for along time

Landcruisersteve said:
Another good point. Can you put in both an electric and a mechanical pump as a back-up to each other? If so, which one goes in line first?

Any particular model of electric pump that might be available locally from an auto parts store?

brian said:
did you try blowing shop air back through the line to the tank? new pump might have been enough to suck some crap in the line.

Okay, Brian. You're the genius here. It worked! (Must've been an old ham sandwich or something down the fuel line towards the tank.) After about ten seconds of blowing air, I heard a burp and gas started flowing out the line all by itself. A couple of turnovers of the engine and she started right up. Good call. :)

Obviously I'm now wondering if there was anything wrong with the original fuel pump to begin with. Well, at at least I now have a spare for the trail. Thanks again!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom