New fuel pump - won't start

Discussion in '40- & 55-Series Tech' started by LandCruiserSteve, Jun 25, 2005.

1. LandCruiserSteve

LandCruiserSteve

Just replaced a bad fuel pump with a new one on a late 60's F engine. Also cleaned the old bowl style style filter. Everything's hooked back up correctly, but not getting any fuel up the line from the gas tank. (The gas tank is full, but the filter bowl is bone dry, as is everything else up stream from there.)

Is there a priming procedure? (Nope, I don't have one of those cool primer handles on the pump itself.) How do you get it flowing?

2. Landpimp

Landpimp GOLD Star

Media:
    are you sure the pump is seating correctly? did you use a spacer or not? some use it, some don't. sounds like the arm is not making contact or..........something.

I have always just cranked them over and they fire right up, no priming or anything.

3. LandCruiserSteve

LandCruiserSteve

Nope, the spacer wasn't necessary. Wasn't one there before and I measured the distance from the face of the pump to the end of the arm on the old pump: identical.

Of course all the fuel dumped out of the lines when I disconnected everything during the install. Should the fuel pump be 'suck-worthy' enough to draw gas up through 2-3 feet of dry lines from the tank? :confused:

4. brian

brian SILVER Star

did you try blowing shop air back through the line to the tank? new pump might have been enough to suck some crap in the line.

5. Rice

Rice

Media:
    Albums:
    Either the pump arm missed the cam lobe or the diaphram inside the new pump is bad. No priming should be necessary for a fresh good pump.

6. Pin_Head

Pin_Head

New style pumps ('79 and up) with the three lines need to use a spacer. The spacer is about a half inch. If you install it w/o one, you will bend the arm.

7. brian

brian SILVER Star

probably not a problem on a

8. LandCruiserSteve

LandCruiserSteve

No, I haven't tried that yet. Good idea!

Yep, I pulled output line off the pump while I tried cranking it, and it appears to be doing its job pumping (as far as the arm being properly seated on the cam lobe). Trouble is, it's just pumping air through. So it must be a clog down-stream some place between the pump and the tank.

Thanks, Brian.

9. sonoranfun

sonoranfun

Why not just switch to an electric?

10. LandCruiserSteve

LandCruiserSteve

Another good point. Can you put in both an electric and a mechanical pump as a back-up to each other? If so, which one goes in line first?

Any particular model of electric pump that might be available locally from an auto parts store?

11. largenfirm

largenfirm

Electric pumps are a poor idea. Nothing but problems, IMHO.

Kirk

12. Ullr

Ullr

Disconnect both fuel lines from the fuel pump and attach rubber hoses, place one in a gas can and the other in an emtpy can. Turn it over and if there is gas in the empty can the fuel pump is pumping, start checking the lines between the pump and the tank. If not look at the fuel pump.

I just put all my fuel lines back in and it took a lot of cranking to finally fill the system with fuel. So it may just be a matter of turning it over longer too.

13. Landpimp

Landpimp GOLD Star

Media:
    yes you can, but no I wouldn't, the electic pump would go before the mechanical pump if you did this.

but really the stock mechanical pump does a great job and will last for along time

14. LandCruiserSteve

LandCruiserSteve

Okay, Brian. You're the genius here. It worked! (Must've been an old ham sandwich or something down the fuel line towards the tank.) After about ten seconds of blowing air, I heard a burp and gas started flowing out the line all by itself. A couple of turnovers of the engine and she started right up. Good call. :)

Obviously I'm now wondering if there was anything wrong with the original fuel pump to begin with. Well, at at least I now have a spare for the trail. Thanks again!!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.