New front bumper (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

murf

Lifer
Threads
I finally went for it and am having Tommy build me a front bumper to my liking. It is a heavier guage than the ARB and sits in closer to the body for better clearance. The eyelets are mounted directly to the frame. He cut out most of it with his plasma cutter and went on his CAD to draw it up. I gave him several ideas and then told him to make it the way he thinks it should. He has a good eye for these things. He has the hoops still to make and build the inserts to hold the lights within the bumper. Hopefully powdercoated and done by next week?

heres some early on pictures...gots alot more to do!

ill post them as I get them.

2010-05-20 21 29 32.jpg

2010-05-20 21 29 08.jpg

Whoooo, now I can sleep. Are you going to have drier protection from underneath? The ONLY thing I dislike about the shortbus I have. I will eventually get a relocation kit for it. It looks like alot of time to piece all those together and tack. Are you going to keep the hard lines where the pieces come together or smooth them out? Any hoops? Its gonna look awesome I bet.

Looks nice. New front and rear bumpers are in my ever growing list of things that I want to do on the 40.

Whoooo, now I can sleep. Are you going to have drier protection from underneath? The ONLY thing I dislike about the shortbus I have. I will eventually get a relocation kit for it. It looks like alot of time to piece all those together and tack. Are you going to keep the hard lines where the pieces come together or smooth them out? Any hoops? Its gonna look awesome I bet.

Yes, hoops/lights/antenna are going to be added. Also the bumper is designed to angle back and cover the receiver /dryer. (as you notice you can not see it in the picture) more plating will continue back from underneath to fully cover the RD (and across the entire bottom). There will be some extra bracing as well to add extra strength. The lines will be filled and smoothed out somewhat before powder.

WOooo......Will it be winch capable?

No Phil, and thats the reason I had it built. there really isnt a bumper out there that fit what I was looking for (except for the shortbus) that was built w/o winch capability. Besides, this way I can build it for my tastes, however questionable :D

to answer some of your PM's, "Cook" already called out dibs on the ARB when we were talking about the build idea at the March meet.

Hes a quick one, that guy!

In a moment of weakness on my part, he convinced me to throw in the lights and the light covers too...;)

Sweet looking bumper! Can’t wait to see the finished product, Tommy does good work from design to install. I sent him an email about sliders about a week ago. Still have not heard back, but I guess you have to be patient when dealing with a reasonably priced artist.

Does this mean my new to me ARB is ready for pickup??:bounce::bounce:

You’re a real class act Murf, you could have gotten a little more by posting it up on the main board and “…offering your ARB to the rest of the World without first offering it to your brothers here...”:grinpimp: You’re a real mench.:popcorn:

Sweet looking bumper! Can’t wait to see the finished product, Tommy does good work from design to install. I sent him an email about sliders about a week ago. Still have not heard back, but I guess you have to be patient when dealing with a reasonably priced artist.

Does this mean my new to me ARB is ready for pickup??:bounce::bounce:

You’re a real class act Murf, you could have gotten a little more by posting it up on the main board and “…offering your ARB to the rest of the World without first offering it to your brothers here...”:grinpimp: You’re a real mench.:popcorn:

Well, I figured this way I get visitation rights :flipoff2:. Anyway, come by and show me some green and you can swing by and pick up the ARB from Tommys shop. Hes going to keep my truck until done. Im driving a 97 2WD 4runner I picked up for a song :steer: for my daughter that starts driving next year in the meantime.

I'll bring the green tonight.

Arggg! You know I'm like a kid at Christmas don't ya?

I think you'd be better off with something like this: :hillbilly:

It'll get you across the Golden Crack every time...comes with free frame flex :)

Last edited:
On a more serious note: those D-ring/shackle attachment points... maybe it's just me, but in the photo they look to be on the light side if that truck would ever need a pull from an angle...

For the FJ62 crowd, eh?

I think you'd be better off with something like this: :hillbilly:

It'll get you across the Golden Crack every time...comes with free frame flex :)
Looks like a good idea for all of those 62 owners who keep asking how to turn their rig into a "round-eye" just like us 60 owners!Glenn in Tucson, LMAO

I got money that it wont be around when she starts driving:flipoff2:

Phil, Im going to try hard this time to keep it around....really. [STRIKE]We[/STRIKE], err, I do have a habit of that dont [STRIKE]we[/STRIKE] I? :D

On a more serious note: those D-ring/shackle attachment points... maybe it's just me, but in the photo they look to be on the light side if that truck would ever need a pull from an angle...

Yea, he isnt done with those. He plans on finishing them up thicker/stronger just like the exact same pull points he did on my rear bumper.

Here some of the latest: After looking at it, I decided to forgo any hoops and leave it like it is. Hoop-free!

Compared to my previous bumper, for me the better approach angle, better protection (thicker metal and the bottom wrap under plating), and less restriction of the lights, air flow, etc. It's time to show her face!

IN any case it make me happy and does what I want. Tommys gotta finish the pull points, some minor electrical, aim lights, clean up, and then to Powder on Monday! :bounce::bounce2:

Pics show the under protection, the inset lights, the closer-to-the-body design.

bump.jpg

bump4.jpg

bump1.jpg

I may not be able to scare old ladies in the cross walk like the ARB used to but I got tired of that anyway :hillbilly:.

bump2.jpg

bump3.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom