New Found Power in my sixty (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I changed my thermostat, spark plugs and wires this weekend (did not change dizzy cap or button) and I swear I have more power and better response. Now granted not a lot but definitely some. Before at 2500 RPM's I was at 65mph and now I am at 67mph. Before when I pressed the gas the engine would be some what slow to get going now she jumps with excitement. Definitely not a lot but enough that I can notice a difference. :clap:

With a 60, if you can notice the difference, that's enough :banana:

I actually went bargain on the wires (NAPA I think they are Beldon) but used NGK's for the spark plugs and toyota T-stat

carb powered engines are more responsive to tune-up items.

I have witnessed similar performance improvements from tune ups, oil changes, minor maintenance stuff. I am convinced it isn't a placebo effect, but grant that it may be. I'm happier thinking it is evidence supporting good maintenance practices...

Unless your 60 has an auto tranny, something seems a little odd about your description. With a manual transmission the ratio of RPMs and wheel speed is fixed by the gear ratios of the transmission, tcase and diffs.

I recentely experienced something similar with low end acceleration. I had a weak ground at the battery. The battery clamp was loose. The car ran seemingly well enough and had no charging issues. When I swapped it out I cut back about the first inch of the ground cable it was very corroded. It now runs so much smoother and accelerates with less throttle.

I have witnessed similar performance improvements from tune ups, oil changes, minor maintenance stuff. I am convinced it isn't a placebo effect, but grant that it may be. I'm happier thinking it is evidence supporting good maintenance practices...

Unless your 60 has an auto tranny, something seems a little odd about your description. With a manual transmission the ratio of RPMs and wheel speed is fixed by the gear ratios of the transmission, tcase and diffs.

Manual Transmission, I can only tell you what I see on the dash and the GPS. Ill keep my eye on it but I know for sure that before the wires and plugs it was 65mph @ 2500rpm's

I got passed going uphill by a Vanagon today and almost cried...

I told my wife, "I bet it has a Subaru engine in it."

Manual Transmission, I can only tell you what I see on the dash and the GPS. Ill keep my eye on it but I know for sure that before the wires and plugs it was 65mph @ 2500rpm's

I'm with ylexot.... no amount of tune up will change the speed v revs.... since you're so sure, explain how it's happening...... you could transplant a top fuel motor in, if you run the manual gearbox you have in it now, you will still do the original rpm at the same mph.....

I'm with ylexot.... no amount of tune up will change the speed v revs.... since you're so sure, explain how it's happening...... you could transplant a top fuel motor in, if you run the manual gearbox you have in it now, you will still do the original rpm at the same mph.....

Its all so obovious gentleman, when you tune up a 60 it allows theflux capacitors to generate anough negative time pressure to change how fast the tires are traveling relative to standard time flowing around the cabin therefore allowing the cruiser to break out of the limitations of standard mechanical gearing. Its the transmission of the 22nd century.

Maybe or maybe ive been watching too much dr who

Or maybe the tires have warn since the last time that relationship was established and the smaller diameter tires now turn more RPMs?

Imagine what would happen if the ignition timing was checked!

I know I'll get laughed at for this,, but I reckon just giving mine a wash makes it feel like it runs better somedays!! Must be that shiny paint that reduces my drag coefficient!!

Running the valves and a can of carb .cleaner does the most for me. MIke

Unless you had a slipping clutch that you fixed, changed gearing, changed tires, etc., there is no way that the RPM to speed mapping will change with a tuneup. However, you can definitely change how long it takes to get to a certain RPM / speed. That being said, I too suffer from delusions with my cruiser. I work on completely non-related systems, and I swear it runs better. Like NQCruiser says, I swear it runs better after a wash.

Replacing the hidden belt that spins the muffler bearing will make you think you installed a Turbo.

Imagine what would happen if the ignition timing was checked!

I have heard that switching to Synthetic Blinker fluid can get you faster reaction time from your controls to the actual lights.

I read it on the internet so it must be true.

:cheers:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom