Blue 1989 FJ62 Owner - Rebuild / Rust Repair (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Mud,

I bought this FJ62 locally.

It is running again and wanted your opinions regarding whether this rig is worth spending the time/money to return to daily driver status.

It is 5-Speed Manual Transmission h55f convert with a poor man's manual locks windows package.

There are some rust issues and want to know if you all think I can save it and if it worth saving.

IMG_0377.JPG

20170426_093524.jpg

20170426_093104.jpg

20170426_093112.jpg

20170426_093116.jpg

Only you can answer the question of whether it's worth correcting the rust. What I will tell you is that all things are relative and that thing is very clean compared to mine. You can see through my lower tailgate. My frame needs rebuilt from the fully boxed section back. The 5 speed and even the manual windows are desirable (by some.)

I will say I wish I had yours to start with rather than mine. Looks like a good bath will work wonders for it.

Get a quote from a body shop and see what they say. The body will have to go on a rotisserie to get all the rust fixed right. You could do it yourself if you know how to weld, and have a lot of time. In the end it would be worth 15 to 20k as far as what a restored one usually goes for. The doors look like the drains got plugged up.

I'd say it's well worth fixing. The question is is what do you want to use it for and how far to go with the resto . Not to mention how deep are your pockets.

You could daily drive it right now. On weekends, work at cleaning up the rust, ospho and paint and that truck will hold up for many, many years to come. Or, dump thousands into a resto. I'd go for option number 1.

My apologies for the hi-jack, but interested in 89GASHOG's ospho and paint process/recipe. Ospho-sand-paint? Ospho-rinse-sand-paint? What paint do you use?

That thing doesn't look bad at all. How is the rear upper shock bar where it mounts to frame?

With some elbow grease and time, that should shine up pretty well!

I've been seeing so many VA people lately on here, are they for sale all over the place?

My apologies for the hi-jack, but interested in 89GASHOG's ospho and paint process/recipe. Ospho-sand-paint? Ospho-rinse-sand-paint? What paint do you use?

Remove loose rust, sand, clean and Ospho. For frame, after Ospho I'd spray POR-15 on it.
For small areas on body, a small can of original code touch up paint can be mixed up by a paint store, though it probably won't match perfectly.

Fix it

it is crap, I am in Leesburg I will come and take it off your hands......

Kidding. That looks not to bad.

First thing, pull the carpet. If you want to keep it then take it out carefully. You will find more holes in the floor and on the drivers for sure.
Check the rear quarters, North East...they are rusted or rusted and repaired.. That back hatch looks better than mine. I have a fist size hole in mind, but have a second hatch.

The rockers can be fixed and worst case you can cut the rockers and put sliders there.

Does it run? That 5-speed conversion is a bonus. I say fix it and enjoy it. Mine is or was as bad. I am currently patching 6 holes in my floors with a combination of welding and epoxy patches (using body work epoxy so it is staying forever). You do not need to be a pro welder. I know i am not.
But you need somewhere to work on it.

Assess the rust, check the mechanical, dump the gas if it has sat for a while change all of the fluids and make sure the brakes are solid.

If you want it as a DD, they you MUST look at the requirements for safety inspection.
Virginia State Police - Safety Division

RUST cannot be any holes leading into the cabin of the vehicle.

19VAC30-70-270. Floor pan.
Inspect for and reject if:
1. The floor pan or inner side panels, front or rear, are rusted out or have any
holes other than normal drain holes that allow exhaust gases to enter the
occupant compartment or trunk.
2. The floor pan is rusted through or is in such condition to create a hazard to
the occupants. A hole in the floor pan which has been properly repaired by
welding, or through the utilization of a metal patch riveted, screwed or welded to
its surface is not prohibited
. If the floor pan was initially constructed from wood,
it may be patched with wood.

Last edited:
Was this the rig listed on Craig's List for $1500? I think you scooped this one up right before I got to it.

Looks like a death trap to me. Being the altruistic person that I am, I buy it for what you paid just to keep you safe.

it is crap, I am in Leesburg I will come and take it off your hands......

Kidding. That looks not to bad.

First thing, pull the carpet. If you want to keep it then take it out carefully. You will find more holes in the floor and on the drivers for sure.
Check the rear quarters, North East...they are rusted or rested and repaired.. That back hatch looks better than mine. I have a fist size hole in mind, but have a second hatch.

The rockers can be fixed and worst case you can cut the rockers and put sliders there.

Does it run? That 5-speed conversion is a bonus. I say fix it and enjoy it. Mine is or was as bad. I am currently patching 6 holes in my floors with a combination of welding and epoxy patches (using body work epoxy so it is staying forever). You do not need to be a pro welder. I know i am not.
But you need somewhere to work on it.

Asset the rust, check the mechanical, dump the gas if it has sat for a while change all of the fluids and make sure the brakes are solid.

If you want it as a DD, they you MUST look at the requirements for safety inspection.
Virginia State Police - Safety Division

RUST cannot be any holes leading into the cabin of the vehicle.

19VAC30-70-270. Floor pan.
Inspect for and reject if:
1. The floor pan or inner side panels, front or rear, are rusted out or have any
holes other than normal drain holes that allow exhaust gases to enter the
occupant compartment or trunk.
2. The floor pan is rusted through or is in such condition to create a hazard to
the occupants. A hole in the floor pan which has been properly repaired by
welding, or through the utilization of a metal patch riveted, screwed or welded to
its surface is not prohibited
. If the floor pan was initially constructed from wood,
it may be patched with wood.
I do want it to be a daily driver. Thank you for all the useful legal information. I am convinced to keep it and go all in on it. Thank you all for convincing me.

Was this the rig listed on Craig's List for $1500? I think you scooped this one up right before I got to it.
It was, sorry if I sniped it. I've been searching high and low and finally found what I was looking for locally and moved instantly.

That thing doesn't look bad at all. How is the rear upper shock bar where it mounts to frame?

With some elbow grease and time, that should shine up pretty well!

I've been seeing so many VA people lately on here, are they for sale all over the place?
Rear upper shock bar is fine. The VA people are looking but there is not much out there right now.

You could daily drive it right now. On weekends, work at cleaning up the rust, ospho and paint and that truck will hold up for many, many years to come. Or, dump thousands into a resto. I'd go for option number 1.
Thanks for the advice. I will start driving it soon and see what I can do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom