New FJ62 owner needs some advice (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I recently purchased a 1989 FJ62 and I am loving it. I can see that I will be spending alot of time here on these boards. I do need some help though if any of you are able. My cruiser has a buzz/whine when accelerating that goes away as soon as I lift my foot off the gas. It is higher in pitch as I increase in speed. My local Aamco mechanic says the noise seems to be coming from the transfer case and suggests that I replace it. He says it is better than rebuilding it. The previous owner said it had been making that sound for a long time and it didn't bother him, but it drives me nuts. I want this cruiser to be able to take me anywhere I want to go, so if it needs to be replaced or rebuilt, I am willing to have it done. Does anyone have any experience in this area? Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you.

Welcome!

I'm not sure about 62s (I have a 60 w/ manual tranny), but I've been told it's the idler shaft bearing in the tcase, and unless you start having trouble shifting there is no need to rebuild/replace it. A lot of people on the boards (and the LCML mailing list) seem to rebuild tcases w/ good results, so don't blindly take your Aamco guys word for it ( I guess you're not, since you asked here..). Do a search for tcase rebuidling and read up--also look at the tech links at the top of this page--tons of advice there--I didn't notice it at first.

Of course if the noise drives you batty, your priority may be "fix it no matter tthe $$", but if you really start thinking replacement you might want to look at the other gearing options out there--at least if you plan to do much off road.

Join the TLCA (Toyota Trails is another great resource) and enjoy your cruiser--they're amazing!

Welcome! Isolate the whine by putting the vehicle in Park and pushing down the accelerator. If the whine still exists, then it seems that it would be engine related (not tranny, axle or wheel). If you suspect it could be the transfercase or tranny, make sure you check all the fluids for level and age. tell us what happens.

mrmoonlight said:
I recently purchased a 1989 FJ62 and I am loving it. I can see that I will be spending alot of time here on these boards. I do need some help though if any of you are able. My cruiser has a buzz/whine when accelerating that goes away as soon as I lift my foot off the gas. It is higher in pitch as I increase in speed. My local Aamco mechanic says the noise seems to be coming from the transfer case and suggests that I replace it. He says it is better than rebuilding it. The previous owner said it had been making that sound for a long time and it didn't bother him, but it drives me nuts. I want this cruiser to be able to take me anywhere I want to go, so if it needs to be replaced or rebuilt, I am willing to have it done. Does anyone have any experience in this area? Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you.

I've always found that Transmissions (at least manual) make a whining sound going out and T/C's growl. There both not to happy!! Not too sure about auto's.

Also check for vacuum leaks around manifolds. They make similar noises. When running spray carb cleaner around base of carb and manifold mounting areas. If RPM's go up, then you have a leak. Very common for all years and models of Cruisers.

Good Luck!!

Tim

Welcome to the board!

Be careful - cruisers are an addiction...

A whine could be the transfer case, or the rear differential. A careful ear will tell you which one.

If it's the transfer case, it'll probably go a long time despite this whine. Best would be to replace with Redline Gear Oil and turn up the stereo.

If it's the rear diff, then you want to dig deeper. Check to make sure there's enough gear oil, then consider having the pinion bearing checked. If it fails, it can be catastrophic.

In any case, with a new vehicle, it's best to change all fluides: engine oil, transmissions fluid, transfer case gear oil, front and rear diffs, powersteering fluid, brake fluid, thorough cooling sys flush, etc.

Again, welcome!

I

I had a whine in the rear differential on my 88 even after replacing all the gear oils in the truck. Someone on this board recommended synthetic gear oil so I tried it. No more whine. It took a few days to really quiet down but it might be worth a shot.

Should be lots of posts about 1st things - fluids, plugs & wires, vacuum lines, tuneup, etc.

If you catch the bug, you'll come to think it's not whining, it's singing to you!

HI again. Thanks to all who took time to help out a new guy. After another talk with the mechanic I am fairly certain the transfer case is the cause of the whine. I mentioned some of the posts here on the boards and he admitted it could be along time before I really HAD to repalace/rebiuld the transfer case. So, I think I may go with turning up the radio as long as everything shifts ok. I may also try synthetic gear oil as well. The more I drive it, the less it bothers me. I'll keep reading the boards though for other tips to help my new toy along and use the money you saved me to fix the few rusty spots along the fenders. Thanks again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom