New FJ62 has very stiff ride. Any suggestions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Still breaking in my new fj62. I seem to have a very stiff ride. There doesn't seem to be any give in the suspension. Even the little reflectors in the lane dividers can cause a good jolt. Speed bumps at any speed are very hard and crossing intersections in town can knock me almost out of my seat. Is this normal? Any suggerstions for smoothing out the ride a little. I don't expect a plush ride, just a little smoother. The truck had been sitting for about a year before I bought it. Could the shocks be frozen up or otheriwse bad?

It is possible that the spring bushings could use replacing. Is it the original suspension?
Does it have replacement heavy duty springs? Are you in the rust belt?

I believe the suspension and springs are original. The truck has 127K miles and was owned in northern Virginia before I bought it. Not sure if thats north enough for rust belt. The body does have a little rust though. I know worn shocks usually keep bouncing if you jump on the bumper. I can't make my truck move at all when I try to bounce it with just my body weight of over 220lbs. Is that too stiff? I've read these trucks can be a little rough riding and I don't mind that, but its hard to imagine going off road with no give in the suspension.

Check your shock absorbers - but not for bounce. My PO put these terrible shocks with coil springs built around them in and gave my 60 a too-stiff ride. Bone jarring stiff, in fact.

If your springs are flat, you'll get a rough ride, too. Visually inspect the angle and see what you've got going on under there.

If everything is normal, I'd say you need to go with new springs altogether. Many say the Old Man Emu springs really improve the ride...I'll probably be finding out soon enough, unless I go with the BDS springs.

The question you are asking is whether the ride you are experiencing is normal? Really hard to answer this on a BB. Best is for you to find another cruiser owner and ride in their truck to see how it rides.

If it rides the same as yours, then you know the truck is OK. If the ride is different, then you need to start figuring out why it's different. Some ideas could include: an add-a-leaf, frozen bushings, super stiff shocks, rusted together springs.

Don't forget to check if the tires are overinflated . Underinflate the tires a little and see how it rides and post you location so somebody could volunteer their truck for a free 60's joyride.

mrmoonlight said:
Still breaking in my new fj62. I seem to have a very stiff ride. There doesn't seem to be any give in the suspension. Even the little reflectors in the lane dividers can cause a good jolt. Speed bumps at any speed are very hard and crossing intersections in town can knock me almost out of my seat. Is this normal? Any suggerstions for smoothing out the ride a little. I don't expect a plush ride, just a little smoother. The truck had been sitting for about a year before I bought it. Could the shocks be frozen up or otheriwse bad?

Its quite normal for cruisers to be like that when you buy them because the PO had already checked the prices and couldnt be bothered.

I bet your shackles are pointing almost straight ahead. :D

I know because it happened to me.:mad:
It will eventually destroy the seats and rattle everything loose.

Anyway if you want to enter into a long term relationship with your new cruiser,a suspension upgrade is a good place to start.

Become familiar with the names Beltons, Dakar ,OME ,Alcan and Dobinsons:D

Are the springs on your truck origional? If you don't know, take a picture of your truck and post it here and we will let you know. If origional, they need to be replaced. If new, they need to be broken in.

Scratch Dobinson from the list.

I'll bet the springs bushings are original and are bonded to the shackles and frame pins with rust. A whole new suspension usually replaces the shackles and pins so a lot of the "improved ride" is attributed to the springs. If you want to keep the old springs on it, new shackles (preferably greasable), pins and bushings should help a bunch.

Thanks for all the great advice. I took a good look and the shackles seem ok. There is a good amount of rust on the springs though. I think maybe a suspension upgrade is what I need. I will be using this truck for a DD and for weekend fishing , camping, playing in the woods and such. Any recommendations for a semi smooth ride without giving up too much performance off road.

mrmoonlight said:
Thanks for all the great advice. I took a good look and the shackles seem ok. There is a good amount of rust on the springs though. I think maybe a suspension upgrade is what I need. I will be using this truck for a DD and for weekend fishing , camping, playing in the woods and such. Any recommendations for a semi smooth ride without giving up too much performance off road.

Rust is on leaf springs? Assuming you don't have coil springs, correct?

Can you tell what type of shocks you have?

mrmoonlight said:

Spring steel usually gets surface rust and it will crack before it rusts through. Therefore don't worry about the rust.

Yes the rust is on the leaf springs. This truck was not driven for about a year. If I spray them with WD40 or something maybe that would lossen them. Whats left of the label on the shocks says Monroe Gas

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom