New FJ60, Low Oil Pressure (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey all, I just picked up an '85 FJ60 a couple days ago, first time Land Cruiser owner.
When I was driving it around with the previous owner, he was pointing out the oil pressure guage, and it seemed to stay around in the middle between high and low.
He told me to check the oil once a week. He showed me the kinds of oil he has been putting in it, (Shell Rotella 15W-40, and some Lucas oil additive).
So I bought it, and the next day I checked the oil and it was really low. I proceeded to put in 2 quarts of Rotella and about 1/8th of a quart of Lucas. Now the oil pressure guage is slammed all the way at low, regardless of sitting in idle or if you are driving. It runs smooth as butter, he really took care of this thing!
After I check the oil now, it is just below the full mark on the dipstick. What have I done wrong? Did I overfill with oil? Could the guage have suddenly stopped working?
I've been searching all over this site and the internet, and can't find the exact answer to my issue....
I'm really nervous to drive it now, and am waiting for a call back from the local LC mechanic to do a tune up...
help!!
thanks to anyone with the time to give advice!

1st you need to put a mechanical oil pressure guage on it and get a true reading

First thing I would check is the oil sender. Look below the oil filter and you will see a sending unit...round about 2in long and 2in round. It should have a wire pluged into it, single blade sticks out for the wire to go on. If the wire comes off it will read No oil pressure

k, thanks guys. I will go out and look. I have an Actron vacuum & pressure test kit, never used one before, let's see what happens. back in a while!
i will look to see if the wire popped off the pressure sending unit... lot to learn

found the oil pressure sending unit, there's no wire anywhere around that seems like it should land on the unit. I am gonna keep looking...

found it!!! The wire had popped off and was laying over in a sneaky spot where I couldn't see it. Slid it right back into the single blade spot, started her up, oil pressure right in the middle!!!
Thanks guys, now i'm gonna go cruise around for a bit!
aloha,
/sherman

I'm Confused! On the oil pressure sending units that I am familiar with there is a blade terminal that is a ground and if you attach the wire to it, it will kill your gauge on your dash. You want to attach the wire to the little round terminal on the top of the oil pressure sending unit. Or, is this not right? I am in agreement that you need to get a known gauge on your unit; you probably are fine.

Yes, the blade is the ground and will fry the gauge.

The correct place for the connector is the button on the center.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom