new fj55 in Texas (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a question I just broke my tailgate window on a 78 fj55 does anyone know if a 72 window will fit? One last thing any body got one of those plastic/nylon blocks that engages the safety switch on the tailgate?

I believe they are the same, at least I never heard otherwise. Flat glass, so a glass shop could cut you one in a pinch.

Can we see pics of this new 55 (a '78) in Texas?
In a round about way I bought it off BAT. The pictures they have are better than I could do. Search FJ55 and mine is the red and white one from Driftwood Texas with the odd silver patches on the fenders. I went to look at it and bid a few times but did not meet reserve. Got a call about 6 months latter and paid 7500 for it. With documentation provided I am third owner 76000 miles rusty fender lips and rockers but solid everywhere else. I cleaned every inch of it applied fluid film, buffed the original paint, tires, shocks, boiled and sealed the gas tank, replaced some hoses. Drive it every day when dry which it is not right now. Lost the plastic/nylon block that engages the tailgate safety switch wrapped tape around it then proceeded to break the glass next day. I am a little worried about bypassing the switch thru the wiring because of my previous experience so I am looking for dimensions replacement. Heck you could make it out of wood if you had to. So that is my sad tale.

I think most of those safety switches are bypassed at the terminal block in the tailgate. The OEM terminal block is still available by the way.

What's your concern with bypassing it? All it does is prevent you from rolling down the window with the tailgate open.

I think most of those safety switches are bypassed at the terminal block in the tailgate. The OEM terminal block is still available by the way.

What's your concern with bypassing it? All it does is prevent you from rolling down the window with the tailgate open.
Your right and that is probably how I will address this and making sure that the window is all of the way down next time. I feel like such a bone head.

Your right and that is probably how I will address this and making sure that the window is all of the way down next time. I feel like such a bone head.

LOL Yes the safety switch won't stop you from opening the tailgate.

LOL Yes the safety switch won't stop you from opening the tailgate.
OK it is official I will bypass the safety switch and be more careful next time. Going to Austin Friday to get a replacement window then I will take careful measurements so I can have one made next time this happens. Thanks everybody for the advice it has been fun.

I remember that one and I can't believe the AC wasn't even mentioned in the auction description.. That's just about worth the price of admission IMO- does it work?

Looks like a good one for $7500.
Very good buy. Lowest I had from that kid was $9k. Very nice fj55. Total time machine. (I saw it up close at LCS.)

The green one in driftwood just went for $7k with no engine or transmission, a Chevy rear end, rust through on one fender lip and a reconstructed title out of Oregon.

welcome to the sty!

I remember that one and I can't believe the AC wasn't even mentioned in the auction description.. That's just about worth the price of admission IMO- does it work?
No it doesn't cool but everything is present even the belt, system is still under pressure but the compressor squeals like a school girl when it runs. My next project after the window is to get it running just in time for winter.

With everything there you're miles ahead of most. Great truck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom