New FJ40 owner with questions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Welcome, I hope you know it is difficult to just have only 1 Land Cruiser.

You may want to check the clubhouse section:

Local help, as well as members selling parts.

Hope to see you on the trail.
Joe - thanks for the link to the Keystone clubhouse. I'm heading up I-81 to pick up a hood from shmukster. I'm also making a stop in my hometown of Shamokin to pick up a bumper from Affordable Offroad (Dan Billig) - he fabricates & sells custom bumpers for LCs and other off-roaders through both eBay and Amazon. This will be my first purchase from him, so I'll report back on the quality.

Got started in earnest with work on the 40 this week.
Looks like I'll be ordering new floor pans and rocker panels. As I mentioned in a previous post, I'll be picking up a better used hood from a member of Keystone Cruisers group - an old bondo repair to the hood is flaking off, and I'd rather not have to deal with it. Anybody want a cheap hood?
I think the tailgate is salvageable, but it'll need some welding.
I have to get out the borescope to check the inside of the gas tank - it's not leaking, but is very rusty on the bottom exterior. If the inside looks good, I'll POR-15 it to help keep the costs under control.
Did I mention that I HATE bedliner?

PXL_20230315_152608881.jpg

PXL_20230315_152636902.jpg

PXL_20230315_152703608.jpg

PXL_20230315_152804391.jpg

I used brake fluid on top of the bedliner to bubble it up and then plastic spatula to scrape it off. Worked great on my Project WTF.

Floor doesn't look that bad. The floors on my 55 were much worse, you could see the ground.

Corroseal is a product I use for surface rust. Steel brush and apply, good for the frame etc.

Say Hi to Gary for me.

Floor doesn't look that bad. The floors on my 55 were much worse, you could see the ground.

Corroseal is a product I use for surface rust. Steel brush and apply, good for the frame etc.

Say Hi to Gary for me.
May not be obvious from the photo but there are many small holes, especially where the gas tank was. Driver's side is better - I might patch it.
Everyone has their favorite rust remedy. Personally, I like to prime with Rust-oleum Rust Reformer and then coat with POR-15.

Say Hi to Gary for me.
Corroseal is great stuff! I have used it through an electric spray gun on stuff like floor pains. Its what I would recommend most. I would know I live at the beach and everything dissolves if you dont keep an eye on it. if you need small parts rust free ospho is also great.

I used brake fluid on top of the bedliner to bubble it up and then plastic spatula to scrape it off. Worked great on my Project WTF.
That's a good suggestion. One of this project's few mechanical problems is a leaky master cylinder - the spots where it has leaks are free of all bedliner.

Thanks Joe! Yes, I am glad to reconnect and see the truck live another life. I was an IH8mud junkie back in those days. Just a great community of people, I learned so much

you have a 10/72 built fj40 with a motor replaced with a 2F from an 87 fj60

bmac32 has not logged into mud since 09’ … don’t think you will hear from him :meh:
the one-piece tailgate is not original to either '72 or '73 - but I would keep it (as a matter of fact, I installed one on my own 40)

as far as suggestions for on-road performance: I am surprised nobody has mentioned spring bushings - very effective improvement, considering how cheap they are - [I would suggest to buy from Kurt @cruiseroutfit = Cruiser Outfitters - http://www.cruiseroutfitters.com/]

Last edited:
Welcome, I hope you know it is difficult to just have only 1 Land Cruiser.

You may want to check the clubhouse section:

Local help, as well as members selling parts.

Hope to see you on the trail.
THIS...
Great group of guys ( and a few gals) over there.

After a couple months on vacation (did I mention I'm retired :) ) I finally got around to finishing the 40 - see pics below.
Not much mechanical work required beyond the new brake master cylinder, and new shoes for the rear drum brakes. A fair amount of welding to fix rust, and a new bumper & winch to give it a little more off-road cred. The color is desert tan (Gillespie Coatings CARC Substitute 686), with satin black on the bumpers and trim, and a new coat of bedliner for the interior floors.

PXL_20230805_201442918.jpg

PXL_20230805_201450852.jpg

PXL_20230805_201459236.jpg

PXL_20230805_201510498.jpg

PXL_20230805_201521483.jpg

Great makeover! That went quick. More pictures please! Glad to hear she stayed pretty sound mechanically for you.

Excellent thanks for sharing photos and video, got to run to work but I look forward to checking these out this evening! Glad to see you breathed some new life into a fine FJ.

Just sold to a buyer in Pensacola FL - it'll be on its way back to the Sunshine State in about a week!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom