New FJ Cruiser Bumper (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

This is ridiculously sweet actually...

Thanks for all the compliments guys.
Now this is still the prototype and I've already started on revised drawing for the next one.
The final specs will be:
Main mounts 1/4" steel with 1/2" for tow points.
main outer shell for the section with the trailer hitch will likely stay a 1/4" unless someone wants to lighten the load then I would only go as small as 3/16"
side wings at 3/16" and they new ones will be higher to cover the plastic trim on the truck.
full reinforced and gusseted shell, reinforced trailer hitch for a class 5 equivalent.
mounting hardware is 3 1/2" grade 8 zinc coated bolts through new holes in the frame to a threaded mount on the bumper (sandwiching the frame so there is only sheer force on the bolts and frame steel, this will not rip off) and also re using the bottom original factory bolt locations for the tow points.
The spindle for the swing out is a 2000lbs fully rated unit (greasable fittings for the bearings) and the locking mechanism is by far a lot slicker than what everyone else is doing. I have never seen anyone use this and I have a feeling this idea will quickly spread once people figure it out.
I don't have the final weight yet but I can lift the bumper off the bench myself without too much strain :D

After I finish this I will be looking at increasing the amount of time I devote to metal work and will be looking at doing the same thing for more trucks. Bumpers that replace the factory cross member and increase departure/approach angles. I'm also working on a slider design that is stronger in mounting than the usual set up.

This awesome design was no doubt inspired from events that occurred on the Mackenzie trail, when Grant tore out his aftermarket FJ hitch last July. Nice job!

Well the bumper is done and installed. Thanks, Mat.

Here are a few Photo's first one of Mat playing with his plasma cutter making one of the finial pieces and another of the finished product installed. I'm sure Mat will be posting up more later.:beer:
IMG_0096-S.jpg
IMG_0101-s.jpg

That boys got talent!

You should post some before and after pics, it would be cool to see the changes.

For those of you that missed the last meeting, here are a few more photos of Mat's tight work... along with this weekends additions to the swing-out

Mat, I can't thank you enough and looking forward to getting to play with the last few parts tomorrow night.

attachment.php

attachment.php

And hot off the press Linked to the back door
IMG00391-20110417-2054.jpg

Dang, that looks great!

I took a look at it after the meeting without the tire carrier, and it's a very nice piece of workmanship.

Nicely done Mat, you must have been scratching your head a couple times figuring out how to make it work

Matt - tried to accommodate Drew's spare fuel requirements to get to Moab, but nonetheless did simply an outstanding job ! .....LOL
rearwithfuelcans.jpg

Nicely done Mat, you must have been scratching your head a couple times figuring out how to make it work
You have no idea, there were times that I sat there holding the same damn piece of metal to the truck 15 different ways and just couldn't get it to line up the way I wanted. I'm not sure what took longer, figuring it out with 18ga sheet metal just to get the look or trying to get the angles from the 18ga, onto Solidworks so it actually fits and the metal guy isn't looking at me like my head is on fire. Doing it right and making sure it looks good too is very time consuming.

Matt - tried to accommodate Drew's spare fuel requirements to get to Moab, but nonetheless did simply an outstanding job ! .....LOL
That's why he has the trailer :hillbilly:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom