New F/2F Waterpump... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Pighead

Stop calling it an FJ
Threads
Like some others posted here earlier, I was having trouble finding a new waterpump for the '76ish 2F/F(rankenengine) in my Pig. I was asking around for a '76 Cal spec with the extenal oil cooler outlet. Dealer said "no longer available." (WTF!?), Napa tried but failed, finally found one at Ram auto in West Sac...
Made by Airtex. They're in Fairfield, Il, but the box says made in Japan. Box also says AW9190. That might be a part number.
It's got a cast aluminum housing(!). IIRC, the old waterpumps were of cast iron.
The pump looks to be the right size and shape. The supplied gasket looks familiar.
It's shiney and weighs about a third of a cast iron pump. The pulley flange looks just a teensy bit bigger; worst case scenario, I swap flanges.
Gonna try it on for size later today, anybody else have one of these aluminum pumps? Any obvious drawbacks of an aluminum pump on a cast iron engine that I'm missing? Like maybe don't torque it down so tight? TIA.

Have seen this same thing, and have at least one alum. body F style water pump on the shelf...

2F water pumps used the same mounting hardwear, and were mounted to the same cast iron block, and were made from an aluminum housing...

If the pulleys line up, run it, and don't look back.

Good luck!

-Steve

2F waterpumps were originally aluminum?
oh.
disregard...

Pighead said:
2F waterpumps were originally aluminum?
oh.
disregard...

As are 3FE...

:beer:

LC_Hamma said:
When a waterpump goes "bad" the sealed bearing is worn out. Why can't you just source another bearing & press it in rather than replacing the whole assy?

Because you would then make the Mexican rebuilders....unemployed;)

Ed

I got one from Advanced Auto last week. I needed one without the oil cooler hook-up, and found out today I ended up getting one with the oil cooler hook-up. Well back to the parts store again tomorrow. Their online stuff shows both. Also I noticed a difference in stud spacing for the pulley. And the snout on the one with the oil cooler hook-up is longer. I can get side by side pix in the morning before I exchange it if anyone is interested?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom