New Exhaust System and Upgraded Headlights? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey everyone! Hoping for some guidance on best ways to replace an exhaust system and improve my headlights.

Exhaust
I bought a '90 62 earlier this year and while I was out in the backroads of Oregon (I live in PDX) the entire exhaust pipe just dropped onto the ground.
My mechanic and I took a look and the entire exhaust is rusting out. He thinks I need to get a whole new exhaust pipe and muffler. He thinks it would be best to find a bolt-on exhaust pipe+muffler combo rather than go a more expensive route and get something custom built. Has anyone had to make a similar decision? I'd love any and all guidance.

Headlights
I'd really like to upgrade the headlights, they're original and really dim. I'm sure many of you have done this as well...really interested in learning what worked well and what didn't.

Thank you!

Talk to Ryan at @OTRAMM. He makes a full stainless exhaust for the FJ62. However, it may not pass smog in your state due to the single converter, rather than two. If not, I would just go the custom exhaust route, that way you can get it the way you'd like.

You could and probably should upgrade the headlights to LEDs.

City Racer sells a set for the 60 and I have them. Its much safer driving at night. You don’t realize how sketchy it is until you upgrade.

I’ve never found an aftermarket LED headlight that puts out a very good pattern no matter how much you spend. My recommendation would just be to go with the Koito H4 headlight kit Toyota sells. It’s cheap, and complete with the wiring harness relays and fuses. True plug and play. Comes with 55w bulbs, but you can get higher power lights at any parts store.

I’ve never found an aftermarket LED headlight that puts out a very good pattern no matter how much you spend. My recommendation would just be to go with the Koito H4 headlight kit Toyota sells. It’s cheap, and complete with the wiring harness relays and fuses. True plug and play. Comes with 55w bulbs, but you can get higher power lights at any parts store.

I believe the OP has a 62, not a 60. I’ve also yet to find a good headlight upgrade for the 62, as mine desperately needs it. I put the Koito from Toyota in my 60 and its awesome. Wish they made one for the 62.

Will second OTRAMM for exhaust. Installed his on our 62 this summer and it’s great.

For headlight upgrade, just do the IPF harness first M002/M004 for $200, see how you like it, then you can upgrade the units and bulbs if you want more.

I'd do the Otramm exhaust and doubt you'd have a problem passing Oregon DEQ with it. It's a tailpipe test anyway for anything pre-OBD2 so as long as your engine is running properly the single cat will do its job. No visual inspection in practice.

It's worth doing some kind of headlight upgrade, for a 62 the options are a little more limited but they are out there. I have the City Racer LEDs on mine and they're much better than stock, but they don't have the long-range throw of a good driving light setup or a high-output bulb on a relay harness. Try to find something like those from Cruiser Corps that have a projector element rather than a reflector or multi-emitter design; the latter really have no beam control and will glare like crazy into the foreground and oncoming traffic.

I believe the OP has a 62, not a 60. I’ve also yet to find a good headlight upgrade for the 62, as mine desperately needs it. I put the Koito from Toyota in my 60 and its awesome. Wish they made one for the 62.

Will second OTRAMM for exhaust. Installed his on our 62 this summer and it’s great.
I overlooked that. My mistake😊

Looks like you've got a 60. Would the Koitos work for a 62 as well? Assuming not but wanting to double-check. Thanks!

This thread is perfect. You're the man. Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom