new engine for 89 pickup (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I blew my engine. It's a v6 3l. I live in Vancouver, BC. and I can't find anywhere to get a new one. I"m maxed out at aroun 2600 to spend can anyone help.

Yes, here's the wise ass answer-----get somebody to give you a Chevy 4.3 V6 for free, then spend the $2600 with me on the conversion parts you'll need to install it. Actuall, the 3.0 V6 is the most embarassing thing Toyota ever made, not worth 10 bucks, let alone $2600. You might be able to locate a 3.4 Toyota V6 fairly cheeply???? then talk to OFF ROAD SOLUTIONS about the necessary install parts.

haha so where do I find a chevy 4.3? Is that a better engine? should I consider a 4cyl? would it fit and would it really cost 2600 for the conversion? I found a v6 with 90km for 1600 anyone think that's a good deal?

That would be OK, if it included installation and free oil changes for life.

So I found a v6 for 1400. What else can I add in to help out the power?

what v6 did you find? a 3.0 or the bowtie 4.3?

i dont endorse the 4.3 by any means, im not into infecting my toyotas with viruses. but if you are after power, theres more than what toyota offers.

HOWEVER since you have good budget to work with check out D.O.A. Racing Engines they have some nice 22RE's in there. the 22RE is the best engine ever made, PERIOD!!

and welcome to mud! :flipoff2:

does anyone know the torque coming out of those little badass and extremely nice engines? expecially that 225 horse 3.slow

does anyone know the torque coming out of those little badass and extremely nice engines? expecially that 225 horse 3.slow

Vortech :D or STD?

STD 160hp @ 4,000rpm 235ft lbs @ 2,400rpm (IIRC a 282?? V8 intake will fit on it)

VTech is 200hp @ 4,500rpm 260ft lbs @ 3,600

IIRC there is another ;) a "Z" and I think a "Y" 215hp....?

oh Jim!.........(I think its in his book)

So I found a v6 for 1400. What else can I add in to help out the power?

The Toyota 3.0 V6? The Downey headers are reputed to give a power boost. If you haven't bought it yet, you should consider the 22RE 4cyl Toyota engine.

D.O.A is downey? well do you know the torque that is coming out of the 22r engines then?

The Toyota 3.0 V6? The Downey headers are reputed to give a power boost. If you haven't bought it yet, you should consider the 22RE 4cyl Toyota engine.

the freaking exhaust is so stupid on these things it should be recalled! :mad:

If I wasn't sitting here with Downeys book.....:D

(Per the 2001 Downey catalog for the 3.0h)

Headers only is claimed at 11HP :eek:

Headers AND 2 1/4 exhaust is 14hp :eek::eek:

Why does everyone want to swap 22's into these when you can sell your V6 Toyota and buy a pickup with the engine you really want? Not knockin anyone, it just seems like an easier solution. If you love the truck and it can't die I understand.

DOA = Dominating Other Attempts, an aftermarket engine parts manufacturer.

Last edited:
i prefer the 22RE over all other because of the reliability factor, and when it its time to turn a bolt, its easy to work on.
plus i hate chevys, so sticking with a 22RE seems natural.

if you try to sell a truck with a jacked 3.0, you aint gonna get any money out of it.

I dang sure dont want to have to feed that thing with the 4.3 in it!

Great motor, reliable, torqy, and shouldn't be have much difference in mpg. Remember though, 1mpg nowadays is allot. However, power corrupts and I feel that before too long driving it and getting the feel for it I'd be Ricky Bobby behind the wheel at all times and thus the mpg would suffer.

I agree, resale for a 3.0 isn't going to be a dime for any upgrades it may have. Bluebook wise motor swaps for anything don't get a dime either (the right buyer may pay more). If I wanted a 22 I could grab an Auto Trader and buy the truck in hours. Just seems easier than any engine swap, even Toyota to Toyota. When the time is right I'm going 3.4 and I don't look forward to the wrenching one bit. Buying a Taco is easier but I just don't want one (no offense Taco owners). :D

If you love your truck than any swap can be justified. Stab anyone that gets in the way then beat the truck like it owes you money! :steer::grinpimp:

I would think you can do about any option listed above for 2600. do some reading and decide whats best for you. All these options are commonly done. Honestly, the only wrong decision you can make is to replace the 3.0 with a 3.0.. IMO

Ok, so how much less power is the 22re 4 cyl then the 3.0 v6? and will the 22re fit easily in my 89 4x4? the 22re seems to be a little cheaper then the v6. So how is the 22re so much better?

22RE

116 hp @ 4,800
140 ft lbs @ 2,800

150hp @ 4,800
180 ft lbs @ 3,400

Until all the rollovers or beaters with V6's have dried up your best bet is to put a 3.0h back into it. Paid $500 for mine and got a truck to go with it! :D
It's not a bad engine. When you say "blew" do you mean rods poked a hole in your block? Or, mains rods knocking?

Last edited:
It's completely siezed, girlfriend drove it dry of oil and it siezed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom