New driveline noise (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am getting some medium to high level noise from my driveline (I believe). It gets louder with speed and lowers when you slow down. It sounds like the famous rumble strip noise. So I was hoping for just a bad U-joint.

I pull the rear drive shaft. The U-joints pass inspection so I lock the CDL and drive a little in my driveway but there is a popping noise coming from somewhere underneath the 80. I was popping so loud I felt that if I were to drive it around it might really damage something. I threw the rear DS back in hoping that somehow this was just a bad U-joint in the front. So I pulled the front DS and YES!! There is a bad U-joint of the rear part of the front axle.

Jumped in the truck with CDL locked and no front DS and the original rumble strip noise is still there. None of the popping noise though when I pulled the rear DS.:mad:

I will be getting the front DS U-joint replaced and balanced ASAP but was looking for some tips on finding the source of the noise and fixing it. Any ideas on what a 2 ½ banana mechanic can do?

Thanks Matt

I am getting some medium to high level noise from my driveline (I believe). It gets louder with speed and lowers when you slow down. It sounds like the famous rumble strip noise. So I was hoping for just a bad U-joint.

I pull the rear drive shaft. The U-joints pass inspection so I lock the CDL and drive a little in my driveway but there is a popping noise coming from somewhere underneath the 80. I was popping so loud I felt that if I were to drive it around it might really damage something. I threw the rear DS back in hoping that somehow this was just a bad U-joint in the front. So I pulled the front DS and YES!! There is a bad U-joint of the rear part of the front axle.

Jumped in the truck with CDL locked and no front DS and the original rumble strip noise is still there. None of the popping noise though when I pulled the rear DS.:mad:

I will be getting the front DS U-joint replaced and balanced ASAP but was looking for some tips on finding the source of the noise and fixing it. Any ideas on what a 2 ½ banana mechanic can do?

Thanks Matt

You should do all four u-joints at the same time. I wouldn't go to the effort of just replacing one of them. They can be worn and still "feel" okay.

You should do all four u-joints at the same time. I wouldn't go to the effort of just replacing one of them. They can be worn and still "feel" okay.

Your right. I was cheap last year when I just replaced one in the front DS that had a problem. I will baseline my U-joints but I think there is a different problem b/c of the popping I heard when the rear DS was out.

Calling Dan now for some U-Joints.

Your right. I was cheap last year when I just replaced one in the front DS that had a problem. I will baseline my U-joints but I think there is a different problem b/c of the popping I heard when the rear DS was out.

Calling Dan now for some U-Joints.

Worn ujoints will "pop."

Got all the parts from Dan today but I will not be able to get everything installed before a 200 mile trip this weekend.

Running on only the rear drive shaft with it making the rumble strip noise, do you think I could drive the trip without the rear DS failing? I would hate for it to break 100 miles out and I really don't want to mess with what a broken DS would do to a cruiser at highway speeds.

The "famous rumble strip noise" as generally defined is a front birf/spindle bushing dry/worn. What your explaining sounds a lot like a bad wheel bearing, make sure they are good, soon, before any trips.

What is the best (easiest) way to check if a wheel bearings is bad?

I rebuilt the front end 30K ago and have been greasing through the top hole on the axles every oil change so everything should be greased well (I hope).

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
DONT let your wheel bearings get bad... I let a rattle on mine go and it turned out to be something in the front end and it totally fell apart on the way to the airport to my brothers wedding :mad:

If you replace all 4 joints I highly suspect alot of your vibes may go away. The next areas to look would be, IMHO, the tcase output bearings and pinion bearings.

You Check for excessive heat around the grease cap after a decent-length drive, as well as the push-pull at 12 and 6 method with the wheel off the ground for looseness.

After some searching, I found Spike's post about checking for loose wheel bearings.

Question is, how much play is allowed?

If my wheel bearings are good, do you guys think I can do my little trip with just the rear DS in? I have to hang some deer stands before season starts next month.:bounce:

After some searching, I found Spike's post about checking for loose wheel bearings.

Question is, how much play is allowed?

Zero, they are set preloaded, any play = they need service.

Just checked the wheel bearings and they are good!!:bounce:

Since nobody has said that doing a small trip on one DS is bad, I will be taking off for the woods of middle Georgia tonight. I will give an update after I install the front DS on Monday.

It hasn't ended but I have a new direction to go in. Here is the LINK
Which I am very excited about because I really don't like the whining noise.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom