New Cruisers in my heard. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all I dove down the rabbit hole once again.

Two weeks ago, I picked up a very clean not rusty 1990 Fj62. The month before that I bought a really nice 87 fj60 that had a complete 62 swap done to it.

I honestly was not looking for another project but the price was right and the fj62 came with a almost complete 83 fj60 "parts truck" that has been hit in the driver side fender. Now I have 3 60 series ony property. I'm not complaining but my old lady is thinks I'm nuts.

My buddie thinks the 83 is saveable but that's for a different post.

Now I'm looking for advice. The previous owner stated the fusible link blew and had his bubba mechanic hardwire the battery cable. I was told it was running and the fix was done recently. When I looked at it and inserted the key I get the key buzzer and nothing else, no click or dash lights. MAF was taken off as well. The owner stated he thought the MAF was bad too, it came with a Denso MAF labeled for a 93 Camry V6 not installed. I plugged it in and got no change. I'm my 'mud' research I have seen that the v6 camry MAF is a commonly used on the fj62 because the 62 part is no longer in production.

However I don't think that is the problem.

I'm leaning towards it being the ignition switch or fusible link. I have put a new battery in and begain ordering parts to do a baseline.

The registration tags are still valid and there were gas receipts from 2021 in the console so I know I was recently on the road.

Any suggestions for anything else i should look out for?

Im hopeing to get a spot in my buddies shop in the next month or so. So far I have ordered;
-ngk spark plug wires
-ngk spark plugs
-ngk distributor cap (it came in a WVE box but labeled made in Japan and NGK on the side of the box)
-ngk rotor (also arrived in a WVE box but labeled made in China :( I'm not happy about that.)
-NGK EFI relay (also in a WVE box made in china)
-Cardone remanufactured MAF
-OEM ignition switch from FJ Depot
-OEM fuel filter from FJ Depot
20220214_164621_copy_1600x900.jpg

-almost OEM fusible link from ToyotaMatt
-HD battery cable set from fourrunner
I've always preferred and had success with NGK but I'm turned off by the couple china parts I received and NGKs subsidiary WVE labeling. Has anybody else run them (WVE) or should I look for the Denso made Japan equivalent.

I'm going to begin the baseline by installing forerunners HD battery cable set and reinstalling the fusible links back to oem ToyotaMatt said he had the corresponding plug in parts from the harness side for the fusible link since I did not get any of that with the 62. If that doesn't get it to kick Ill install the new ignition switch and ask questions from there.

Cheers guys

20220214_164742_copy_1600x900.jpg

20220214_164748_copy_1600x900.jpg

20220214_164759_copy_1600x900.jpg

20220214_164806_copy_1600x900.jpg

The 87 60 with a complete 62 conversion the day after I got her OMW home we stopped at White Sands National Park. It need very little it was a loved father son build im blessed.
20220122_143856_copy_1600x900.jpg
20220122_141650_copy_1600x900.jpg
20220122_141718_copy_1600x900.jpg
20220122_141740_copy_1600x900.jpg

20220122_141703_copy_1600x900.jpg

Looks great. What’s going on with the 62 conversion? Did they put the 3FE in the 60 and keep the 4-speed? Or did they go whole hog with the interior and everything?

Its pretty much a fj62 with manual locks and windows now. 3fe with auto, 4.10 driveline and fj62 interior.
It is popping out of low4 when engaged. I thought it was gonna be a linkage adjustment but that's not fixing it. I'm troubleshooting that now and ideas??

Its pretty much a fj62 with manual locks and windows now. 3fe with auto, 4.10 driveline and fj62 interior.
It is popping out of low4 when engaged. I thought it was gonna be a linkage adjustment but that's not fixing it. I'm troubleshooting that now and ideas??
I had that issue. Check the TC oil. There is a detent spring that may need replaced (cheap and easy) and if that doesn't fix it, the inner boot may be old and stiff with baked on mud. Mine needed all three remedies and I ended up just removing the inner boot for now. It hasn't caused me grief since. Also, it could be tired or a broke motor mounts.

The correct replacement detent spring is Toyota Part Number 90501-16115. Check my Post #8 here:

Even with the replacement spring I still had the same problem you do, but it was easily fixed following advice from @CenTXFJ60 - I added a thin washer behind the spring inside the detent bolt and it's worked fine since.

Thanks guys, yesterday I changed the TC oil, it looked new, and also exchanged the drain plugs with a new magnetic set from 'wits end'. I have ppw that states the transmission and TC was recently rebuilt in AZ. We tried to adjust the linkage to no avail. It was nice to have her up on a lift the undercarriage looks great. It's live it's whole life in an area that only gets about 10" of precipitation a year. I'm going to order the detent spring and try that next.

This is a great forum, there is tons of knowledge here, I'll make sure to pass on what I learn to future cruiser nuts.
E

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom