New cruiser rides like Crap! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

miker said:
Interesting that so many replies are trying to solve a steering problem when he posted that the problem is a rough ride....

sorry about that, I reread the post and realized my mistake

Sine80, you thought the pipe was the shackle Bwahahahaha. :D jk

That was funny tho. ;)

ranger said:
Exactly! The add a leafs are what is causing the stiff suspension/rough ride...

I had the thick tapered add a leaf in my old stock rear springs and I thought it rode quite well, both SUA and SOA. I'll concur that the OMEs ride pretty soft as well. Guess the roughness of the ride is subjective.

I have heard great things about old man emu and the comfort of them. If you want to stay near stock I would put a set of OME springs on there along with their shocks. If you are going to go 4 inch spring under I would get a nice set of custom springs as my experience with this much lift spring under has been less than desirable, very stiff and not much flex. If you want to do it right, do a spring over on stock springs. Mine has never rode or tracked better with my SOA and shackle reversal.

Noah

MAD;

As JP mentioned, go with OME suspension and shocks. I've been driving FJ40s for decades and this was a definite seat of the pants improvement.

Thanks for your honest Replies

Thanks guys for your help and Expertise,

After reading your post I toke time to check under the cruiser this weekend, and found those Add a Leaf Junk in my spring pack! My shackle bushing seems to be worn-out plus on leaf pack seems to be separating.

I will definitely change my suspension, I’ll probably buy the compete 4’’ Skyjacker setup (shocks, shackles, leafs…) seems like a good product for the price, plus SOA is a tab advance for me, but I definitely would enjoy the Flex.

As some of you guys mentioned, I also think that front and rear axles seems to be a bit forward, the spring mite of been flipped by the previous owner.

P.S. I’ve been drooling on cruisers since ever and always been sold on Toyota’s since my dad always had an old Toyota truck in the driveway! Sold my good reliable 4Runner especially for my cruiser, SORRY Wisintl and Spanky1 If you want my Cruiser you better have a fat wallet cause this baby isn’t for sale! What’s a Car?

think carefully before you get that Sky. 4" kit. I have it with ProCrap shocks and it is one stiff SOB. I would describle it as - you don't drive my 40, you ride it like a horse. In fact, if I could afford it, I will junk or sell the springs/shocks and go this route:

OME 2.5" springs with longer shackels giving about 3.5-4" lift & Rancho RS 9000's. With this setup, you can easly run 33 x 12.5's. This should give you an awesome ride, adjustability, and room for some meats. Guys in the club here run that much lift with that size tire all day long.

If you need more than 33's, definalty go SOA.

look into the hfs and other kits before you pull the trigger.

Can someone tell me how much torque I should put on the shackles bolts? also, is it good to add blue loctite on the threads. Thanks!

froggy said:
Can someone tell me how much torque I should put on the shackles bolts? also, is it good to add blue loctite on the threads. Thanks!
Use Nyloc Nuts, no Locktite.

I have the 2.5 inch skyjacker on mine with longer shackles. Before I bought some crappy pro comp shocks the skyjacker shocks were too short. It was overextending the shocks on pretty much every bump. It rode absolutely terrible, even before changing the shackles. So I would unbolt the shocks and make sure they are long enough. Even with the crappy pro comps, my truck rides pretty good for a 40. Can't wait for some bilsteins.

I know this is an old post but his shocks are upsidedown..

okie said:
I know this is an old post but his shocks are upsidedown..

Well then why dont you share some of your years of experence with us, by telling why it matters which way they go on. Or did the guy at the parts counter where your mom bought your shocks tell you that.:princess:

I'd start with pins and bushings, lose the add a leaf and get longer shackles for the back. made a world of difference on mine (I think that it was mostly the bushings)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom