New "cruiser" in the driveway (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I finally found my cruiser, a black 96 LX450 loaded w/lockers it rolled over 106k on the test drive, the PO is the second owner, I found the bill of sale tucked in the owners manual they paid 47k for it 6 years ago with 17K on the clock.

It it has many of the typical minor problems that I have been reading about and one that needs to be taken care of immediately, it runs slightly rough, this almost caused me to not buy it but the good body interior and full southern life (read no rust) made me to take it to the dealer too check out the head gasket and do a general inspection. Wile pulling the plugs for a compression check the tech found out the plug wires were original (dated '95) and that the #6 was wrapped in electrical tape (the boot portion that is inside the valve cover) it appears the last guy there damaged the wire and tried to shade tree a repair IIRC electrical tape is good to 600v ignition voltage it much higher, even if  the tape could hold the spark the many gaps between layers would let it out,  the same plug has almost no ash on it looks like there is little burn occurring in that cylinder the plug looks almost new compared to the others  (the others are pretty new so this is recent work) the PO is a recently divorced mother of 3 who knows very little about cars I think she decided to sell it because of the rough running engine as it is in good shape otherwise

C-Dan has a set of plugs, wires, cap and rotor on the way all of witch delivered for less than the local dealer wanted for the wires alone

all lockers work but the rear is a little slow to engage, others have suggested exercise usually fixes this if not I will follow the rebuilt instructions on Slee's site

has the typical leak at the back of the motor, do not know if it is rear main or pan arch yet I need to pull the inspection plate ans have a look, PO claims 2 qts between changes, if so I can live with that for a wile I will see how much it uses and fix accordingly

also has the gray sludge in the radiator, overflow has a mix of red and green, radiator is original and filled with green will be doing a flush & refill w/ Toyota red before summer try to get as much of that gray stuff out as possible

how much $ would it be to have this stuff looked at by a lab? I will have a pretty good amount to sample

it has an exhaust whistle on moderate to heavy acceleration, from the posts here I was expecting the exhaust to have been replaced without the resonator, when I got it on the lift at the dealer the exhaust is all original and looks in good shape on the outside, tech suggested that a baffle may be loose in either the resonator or muffler, got any idea witch more likely needs replacement? The whistle is annoying

the front end has not been serviced yet, it has just started to leak oil/grease mix, tech suggested I have probably caught it before birff damage has started

the “D” light is burned out on the gear select indicator, and like a recent post there is no Pwr light when the Pwr button is depressed, I do not have a FSM yet, is the console R&R to replace the bulbs a 1 banana job? I kinda like the lack of indication no light=drive, less distraction wile driving on the other hand it bugs me that something is broken

also she rubbed the side on the garage door, two pieces of the cladding will have to be replaced one on the right rear door and the one over the right rear tire and to the back of the truck, I hope to find them in a junk yard somewhere, the plastic end cap of the running board took a hit also but it is coming off anyway

after I get all the maintenance stuff out of the way planning on OME 2.5” lift, unfortunately the Michelin LTX tires are almost brand new so it will be a wile before I can get some wider and taller tires on there

Raventai,
Congrats on the purchase!

>> also has the gray sludge in the radiator, [ ...] try to get as much of that <<
>> gray stuff out as possible <<

Not likely. If you can see it at the top then the bottom and sides will have considerably more of the sludge. Here is a pic that Christo posted of a radiator that was showing some sludge in the overflow and visible in the filler area. This thread discusses the problem.

radiator_1.jpg

Plan on replacing the radiator before hot weather gets here.

Try banging the dash with the heel of your hand. That's fixed a couple of "D" lights that I know of.

>> I hope to find them in a junk yard somewhere, <<

Good luck! :D

-B-

It's so funny, I read your whole post with a :D!! Even though it's someone else's new LC, it still make me smile!! My recently purchased 97, 140K, has the whistle, the rough idle, but no leaks, (yet!)

I was the one who replaced the bulbs today. I don't know what the banaba's mean, but it's just about removing screws and some trim pieces. First, I removed the lower kick panel, next the steering column shroud,then the bezel with the mirror switch, and locker switch. There's two screws up at the top of the instrument cluster in the black plastic part. After you remove those, you can pull the bezel with the vents out to access the clister. There's 4 screws that hold it in. Pull it out towards the left of the steering wheel, the right corner is a tight fit to get out. This will give you access to the back of it. There are 4 connectors you need to unplug, then you can slide the cluster out. In the middle of the back, there's the indicator module with 3 clips. Depress these and it will release. On the side of it wits all the bulbs, They twist then pull out.

I don't think it's too difficult, I'm a mechanic, but that's just easy interior trim. HTH 8)

Congrats on the new rig. Definitely GET THAT RADIATOR REPLACED ASAP. You don't need to create major expensive headaches by putting it off.

Get your front end goodies from Cdan and get ready for the nice weather.

[quote author=Beowulf link=board=2;threadid=11396;start=msg103676#msg103676 date=1076562150]

radiator_1.jpg

[/quote]

:eek: :doh: wow if mine looks anything like that then a little water flush would not fix. I got a quote on the early brass 3 row from Dan earlier today, if mine looks anything like that it looks like I will be using it, stop-and-go summer ATL traffic with the AC running requires good cooling system efficiency

[quote author=offroadkid link=board=2;threadid=11396;start=msg103679#msg103679 date=1076562463]
It's so funny, I read your whole post with a :D!! Even though it's someone else's new LC, it still make me smile!! My recently purchased 97, 140K, has the whistle, the rough idle, but no leaks, (yet!)

I was the one who replaced the bulbs today. I don't know what the banaba's mean, but it's just about removing screws and some trim pieces. First, I removed the lower kick panel, next the steering column shroud,then the bezel with the mirror switch, and locker switch. There's two screws up at the top of the instrument cluster in the black plastic part. After you remove those, you can pull the bezel with the vents out to access the clister. There's 4 screws that hold it in. Pull it out towards the left of the steering wheel, the right corner is a tight fit to get out. This will give you access to the back of it. There are 4 connectors you need to unplug, then you can slide the cluster out. In the middle of the back, there's the indicator module with 3 clips. Depress these and it will release. On the side of it wits all the bulbs, They twist then pull out.

I don't think it's too difficult, I'm a mechanic, but that's just easy interior trim. HTH 8)
[/quote]

:) thanks for the instructions, this is something inexpensive (making two car payments until I can sell my chevy) I can do wile waiting for the ignition components, I will let you know if the new wires fix the rough running and what I find out about the whistle

[quote author=Junk link=board=2;threadid=11396;start=msg103682#msg103682 date=1076562778]
Congrats on the new rig. Definitely GET THAT RADIATOR REPLACED ASAP. You don't need to create major expensive headaches by putting it off.

Get your front end goodies from Cdan and get ready for the nice weather.
[/quote]

will do and yes, got a long list of PM and additions to do when the cash flow improves Dan will be hearing from me, good parts good prices and solid advice cant go wrong :cheers:

Forgot to thank you guys for all the info, you really helped me weed through the junkers for sale around here I hope I can give some back

Congrats :cheers:

Nice to hear that i'm not the only one with the D light out, and an exhaust whistle under hard acceleration; and i have the rear leak too. But it's not 2 quarts between changes, it's actually not even 1 quart. Still the best truck i've owned with no plans on selling. Anyways good luck to you, and get to that radiator ASAP.
:beer: :beer:

Hltoppr and concretejungle thanks :cheers:

[quote author=Hltoppr link=board=2;threadid=11396;start=msg103811#msg103811 date=1076601323]

Pics?
[/quote]

I was waiting for better waether but looks like we are soped in for a wile

DSCN1834.jpg

DSCN1838.jpg

what does the bumper sticker say??? I have a friend who bought one that had a "Love To Dance" sticker on it...oh it was fun making fun of him for that.

raventai,

I see a water hose on the ground behind your new LX. Pleeeeeeeeeze tell me you didn't wash that truck for a picture you were posting here on IH8MUD.

:D

-B-

[quote author=hpantier link=board=2;threadid=11396;start=msg103867#msg103867 date=1076606727]
what does the bumper sticker say??? I have a friend who bought one that had a "Love To Dance" sticker on it...oh it was fun making fun of him for that.
[/quote]

why what else would a mall cruiser be wearing? :)
DSCN1842.jpg

there are a lot of parking decals that also have to be removed

[quote author=Beowulf link=board=2;threadid=11396;start=msg103873#msg103873 date=1076607010]
raventai,

I see a water hose on the ground behind your new LX. Pleeeeeeeeeze tell me you didn't wash that truck for a picture you were posting here on IH8MUD.

:D

-B-

[/quote]

nope I am just to lazy to roll up the hose :slap: no wash was reuired it was well detailed before she put it up for sale, it rained all day yesterday and this morning, no sun yet today :(

You should leave the honor student sticker on the truck...that is, after all, the most sought after mod here on I H8 MUD - i think Slee's is going to start stocking those stickers - part number POS#1 i believe.

Don't get use to the &#039:D' on the dash being out. Mine went out after someone was talking about it. Several months later it came back on. No I wish it would go out again as it glares on my scrached glasses.

Congrats, bought mine in Atlanta, nice place to buy a used LC since most are mall cruisers and Atlanta weather is not hard on vehicles.

Aww.. yeah. Sweat looking rig. Might '86' the cheesy Lexus front plate unless of course you're going to be wearing a leather "Lexus Owners Club" jacket, then it won't matter :D.

Congrats!
R2

[quote author=landtoy80 link=board=2;threadid=11396;start=msg103891#msg103891 date=1076609170]
Don't get use to the &#039:D' on the dash being out. Mine went out after someone was talking about it. Several months later it came back on. No I wish it would go out again as it glares on my scrached glasses.
[/quote]

hmm maybe I will leave it be then

[quote author=Pitbull link=board=2;threadid=11396;start=msg104042#msg104042 date=1076627120]
Congrats, bought mine in Atlanta, nice place to buy a used LC since most are mall cruisers and Atlanta weather is not hard on vehicles.
[/quote]

this is the first one I looked at that was from the south this one spent its first 2 years in South Carolina and then came to ATL, the rest I looked at spent their first few years up north mainly IL NY and NJ and they it showed to varying degrees, none has body rust but all the hardware and suspension components were rusted, this one all the bolts still have ithier cadmium plating even the bare steel bits underneath have just a slight surface rust going on, we do salt here but only once or twice a winter and them mainly just the overpasses it rains all winter keeps it rinsed off 35F and raining is a common Atlanta winter day

[quote author=Rookie2 link=board=2;threadid=11396;start=msg104188#msg104188 date=1076643429]
Aww.. yeah. Sweat looking rig. Might '86' the cheesy Lexus front plate unless of course you're going to be wearing a leather "Lexus Owners Club" jacket, then it won't matter :D.

Congrats!
R2
[/quote]

I was thinking the same, it is kinda redundant, I bet it will fetch a nice $ on E-bay as it is in good shape that or it may wind up on my tool box at work 8)

Lived in Atlanta from 1986 through 1998. Started to get too crowded so when I retired in 98 I headed for the country. Atlanta is a good place to work, a lot happening and a lot to do.

[quote author=Rookie2 link=board=2;threadid=11396;start=msg104188#msg104188 date=1076643429]

Congrats!
R2
[/quote]

Hey, I like wearin' my Lexus Owners Club jacket...goes well with my Lexus Owners Club stickers on my rig... :doh:

Hey Rookie -- good to see you outside the LOC board.

[quote author=NorCalDug link=board=2;threadid=11396;start=msg104651#msg104651 date=1076727684]
Hey, I like wearin' my Lexus Owners Club jacket...
[/quote]

I must have missed that in your pictures on the Rubicon :D.

Hey DougJohn. Gee.. How'd you know it was me ::).

I still try to keep tabs on the LOC board, but it seems to have dried up some. Mostly 470 talk, and don't seem to be as many knuckle busters around. I find this board much more informative and active, so thank you for the tip.

Hope to see you around more,

:beer:

Rookie

hey raven did you by chance get onto 75 from barrett prkwy friday? i saw a cruiser that looked just like your in the rear view as i was getting onto 75 (was in 4runner)

looks good hope you enjoy it

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom