New cruise control in a 60/62 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Spook50

Skål
Supporting Vendor
Threads
So my 62 has a Dana cruise control that was installed (I believe) by the dealer when it was sold new in '88. For years now the control has been a bit dodgy, but lately it's become downright unreliable, often going into full acceleration when I try to set the speed. With the little to no documentation available for it, I'm considering just ditching it entirely and installing a new system from either Dakota Digital or Rostra (open to any other suggestions for a kit that'll work well with a 5spd FJ62). Since I'm planning on swapping out my OEM speedo for a GPS unit from Speedhut, this will effectively eliminate the cable being used to drive the speedo.

Here's where I'm trying to figure out what I want to do. Since I'll be eliminating the speedo cable entirely but still have the cable drive connection on the tcase, I think can utilize that to drive an electronic VSS from Marlin Crawler (here: Vehicle Speed Sensor, MCI | Marlin Crawler, Inc. ) which creates a square wave pulse at four pulses per rotation to send the speed signal to the cruise control system. Looking at the Dakota Digital system (here: Cruise Control for Electronic Speedometers ) it'll accept a range of 2,000 to 40,000 pulses per mile, which should work with any combination of gearing, tire size and speedo drive/driven gear ratios that get thrown at it.

Has anyone attempted a more modern cruise control solution like this? Curious to hear some opinions and observations.

I installed a Rostra years ago and I like the way it works. I contacted them and I got an inline VSS generator that my stock mechanical speedo cable fit into. It goes right onto the tranny with a little pigtail. I'm away from my rig for another week or I'd take a pic for you. It works well.

I installed a Rostra years ago and I like the way it works. I contacted them and I got an inline VSS generator that my stock mechanical speedo cable fit into. It goes right onto the tranny with a little pigtail. I'm away from my rig for another week or I'd take a pic for you. It works well.
I've seen the inline VSS setups. Since I'm getting rid of my cable driven speedo though I'm thinking just get the Marlin VSS with a Toyota connector and use that to send signal to a kit that's designed for electronic speedos. That way it's a system being used the way it was designed with an OEM VSS. I saw both the Rostra and Dakota Digital kits can be adjusted for the appropriate pulse per mile rate of the VSS they're connected to, so on the face it looks like it would be easy to set up and a much simpler system than the old Dana currently in my 62.

You're considering a R2.8 swap, right? Keeping in mind that has an electronic throttle, do you think you could make it work with this setup? I think you'd need some kind of electro-mechanical servo to actuate the pedal linkage vs hacking the CANbus ETM.

I don't know if anyone that has sorted out cruise on the R2.8 yet.

<edit> LOL that Dakota is a servo. I guess it's just mounts to the 2.8 linkage that are required.

Last edited:
You're considering a R2.8 swap, right? Keeping in mind that has an electronic throttle, do you think you could make it work with this setup? I think you'd need some kind of electro-mechanical servo to actuate the pedal linkage vs hacking the CANbus ETM.

I don't know if anyone that has sorted out cruise on the R2.8 yet.

<edit> LOL that Dakota is a servo. I guess it's just mounts to the 2.8 linkage that are required.
An R2.8 would be neat, but if/when I do a swap, it'll be way down the road and at this point I'm hoping/planning to do an LQ9 with an NV4500 behind it.

If your doing an Lq9, cruise will be easy. The PCM will give a 4000 pulse signal, and the cruise units are a dime a dozen at pick n pulls. All you need is a rostra stalk and a 4 prong brake switch. If you get a donor motor, get the cruise with it, whether DBW or cable

Quick and dirty and cheap VSS option if you want, tack weld a ABS tone ring into the back of one of your front wheel hubs and mount an ABS sensor.
I use the ABS setup on my 80 rear axle as a VSS for my engine swap

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom