New Crossmember / Skid Plate

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.cardomain.com
Well, I ran out of time today so I havn't gotten to the "skid" portion yet. None the less a good start though. Kinda looks like one I've seen on the market :D

46304cc4.jpg

6d75674e.jpg

5309da8a.jpg

Not that anybody cares apparently, just an example of how to utilize $28 worth of scrap metal. Y'all have fun with your air freshener threads.

0a2ae081.jpg

d0a7cacc.jpg

66bf11ab.jpg

akarilo said:
Y'all have fun with your air freshener threads.

And plasti dip.

Thread got me thinking, measuring, and planning, if it's any consolation.

It looks to be a thorough job, just didn't post.

Figured there's always someone else willing to blow smoke up every OPs ass, and I'm new enough that it doesn't matter what I say, anyway, but it did get my wheels turning, so appreciate the thread.

Looks good and strong!!

-Daniel

Sent from deep in the mountains of Honduras using only sticks and rocks.

you seem to be knocking off a venders product, what did you expect?

Bring something to the table that is fresh and new and I'm sure the attention will follow.

You're awesome Rick. Thanks.

Curious to see how draining the trans works out.:hmm:

What was the final weight?

The small hole is for the socket extension only. Plenty of room between the pan and skid to slide the socket in and connect it to the extension.

As for weight, I didn't weigh it. :frown:

Not that anybody cares apparently, just an example of how to utilize $28 worth of scrap metal. Y'all have fun with your air freshener threads.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v399/akarilo/0a2ae081.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v399/akarilo/d0a7cacc.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v399/akarilo/66bf11ab.jpg

:confused: What response are you looking for? You making more of them?? Just wanted "hey nice job" post?? Need some attention??

Ya, looks nice. Just like the others out there. :meh:

Thanks for reminding me, i need to replace my air freshener.

Great looking plate, prepare for a ton of people asking for you to make them one.

I added an extra piece on the driver's side due to the fact that the T-case was still slightly exposed for the right/wrong size boulder. I'm hoping Rick will cut me some slack now that it is slightly different from any existing vendor's rendition. Not like I'm trying to sell them or anything.:meh:

29f202bf.jpg

Ok I had thought about ordering a skid plate but this looks so simple to make I think I'll do it myself, well not me cause I don't know how to weld, but I got friends that do.

On your orginal post does that bar bolt into factory holes or did you tap them?

Not that anybody cares apparently, just an example of how to utilize $28 worth of scrap metal...............

Well, if you're looking for constructive criticism, here's my .02. Nice low profile, but being as it's a cross member as well as a skid plate, I think it's a little lacking in shear rigidity. Meaning if you're on a obstacle out at the end of either skid plate, you'll have some deformation in either the skid plate or the cross member. Leverage at the end of the skid plates, away from the cross member could be the death of this design and might even cause drive train problems eventually. Chad's design helps considerably in this area. See the support on the plates plus the cross member itself resists the stress better IMHO:
HPIM0574.JPG

Well, if you're looking for constructive criticism, here's my .02. Nice low profile, but being as it's a cross member as well as a skid plate, I think it's a little lacking in shear rigidity. Meaning if you're on a obstacle out at the end of either skid plate, you'll have some deformation in either the skid plate or the cross member. Leverage at the end of the skid plates, away from the cross member could be the death of this design and might even cause drive train problems eventually. Chad's design helps considerably in this area. See the support on the plates plus the cross member itself resists the stress better IMHO:

I'm thinking the majority of flexing will be coming from the factory rubber tranny mount, which is utilized by every crossmember setup I have seen.

I'm thinking the majority of flexing will be coming from the factory rubber tranny mount, which is utilized by every crossmember setup I have seen.

Looks great but needs more gusseting.

Take a 4 foot long piece of half inch hot rolled and set it on some saw horses, stand on it and watch how much it deflects.

Now, add probably 5800 pounds to that number and imagine the deflection.

Off to MS Paint.

P.S. Insulting every other forum member with a childish air freshener comment never works out.

Alright, I'm smoking a brisket so I have time.

Here are my ideas, they are free, and being as this is a capitalist society (supposed to be) and you really can't copyright a basic shape (skid plates were not invented by MAF or Slee).

The bridge like trusses above the plate will make a big difference in bending strength.

The gussets around the T-case protection (gotta have speed holes) will look really neato and insure that you don't bend it up.

I like your design, tons of clearance and easy to build.

Be nice, it gets you really far. Don't let the angry people (who like clean smelling air) get under your skin.

I feel like Gandhi today.

Dan

Happy Father's Day!
29f202bf.jpg
bridgey thing.jpg

Alright, I'm smoking a brisket so I have time.

Here are my ideas, they are free, and being as this is a capitalist society (supposed to be) and you really can't copyright a basic shape (skid plates were not invented by MAF or Slee).

The bridge like trusses above the plate will make a big difference in bending strength.

The gussets around the T-case protection (gotta have speed holes) will look really neato and insure that you don't bend it up.

I like your design, tons of clearance and easy to build.

Be nice, it gets you really far. Don't let the angry people (who like clean smelling air) get under your skin.

I feel like Gandhi today.

Dan

Happy Father's Day!

I like this design much better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom