New coolant routing-delving into stupidity (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

image.jpg
I'm right there with ya!

image.jpg
image.jpg
Next up ;)

I wanted to know the temp of the coolant going into the radiator. I may automate turning on the misters using this temp.

Well...
* Radiator is installed. Just need to attach lower hose and trans lines and I'm ready to flush with distilled.
* Flushing apparatus is ready to be installed. I got everything ready from the garden hose side all the way to the heater control valve.
* Misters work great except for one tiny problem...

THEY LEAK!!! Argh!

So, since the misters are at a higher level than the pump, my guess is that the misting system creates a vacuum when it stops. This caused it to draw water up the tubes and drip out slowly. Each nozzles drips a single drop about once every 10 seconds. At this rate the JDM tank will be empty in two days of non-use.

Anyone have any experience with this? Doesn't Toyota use a check valve in their system? I mean it's effectively the same thing. What am I missing?

Maybe each nozzle is supposed to have a spring loaded opening or something not just a free flow opening?? Pain in the ass to change them now if that's the case.

I didn't realize this was a copy of an actual Toyota option...who knew!!

Is the water supply vented before the pump and is the reservoir higher than the misters ? At the rate the misters are dripping I would think that the leakage is due to expansion. How long have you let them drip?

I dual purposed the JDM windshield washer tank. It's an open container before the pump. The area where the pump draws from is several inches below the misters. They have been dripping since installed. They continue to drip until it drains the tank which is nearly 3 liters.

Last edited:
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
Btw, got the new permanent flushing valve done. Well, I need to mount the connector but a zip tie will do for now. Just tested it and works perfectly and easily. I can't start the truck yet because I don't have the trans lines hooked up yet but so far so good.

Sounds as if there is a siphon happening. It doesn't matter where the outlet of the container is located but where the starting water level is or the pumped has filled the tubing. Once started a siphon will continue as long as the inlet stays submerged not allowing air to enter. A siphon works when the weight of the water on the downward slope from the high point exceeds the weight on the upward slope. I think the solution may require a lower mounted tank or a pump that has a positive shutoff. As an experiment you could feed the pump from a plastic milk jug laying on the ground and see if the misters still leak.

PPC, it turns out I was way off. The tank does in fact sit higher than the misters. I am thinking of just adding a loop to the feed line that would put it higher than the tank.

View attachment 904800 View attachment 904801 Next up ;)

I wanted to know the temp of the coolant going into the radiator. I may automate turning on the misters using this temp.
You know there's a boss on the water neck you could have drilled and tapped. I'd actually would have wanted to see what sort of drop in temp you get after the radiator. You can run two senders on one gage with switch. I use to do that with a sender in my auto transmission pan and one in the oil pan on my old tow pig 454 suburban.

bump, can you post some pics of where you installed that ac foam on your radiator? I am installing an al rad right now and am wondering where this should be done? Only plans as of now were to install a small foam strip between the shroud and radiator. Thanks!

bump, can you post some pics of where you installed that ac foam on your radiator? I am installing an al rad right now and am wondering where this should be done? Only plans as of now were to install a small foam strip between the shroud and radiator. Thanks!

I'm not near the truck right now but will take pics before I leave for the weekend. In short what I did is bought four packages of that weatherstripping. Once the radiator was mounted I took strips and stuffed it in between the core support and the radiator along the sides. Its a compression fir so nothing else to hold it in. Its not going anywhere. On the bottom I couldn't easily get to it so I just stuffed where I could. For the top I have a single long piece that I stuffed in between the top tank and the core support cover. Its ok if the foam covers a little bit of the fins. Again its only compression that keeps the foam in. Once in, it stays.

The shroud side is a little more of a pain. I lowered the shroud to the tabs on the radiator and, while the shroud was angled towards the motor, I stuffed the first piece to align with the edge of the shroud. Meaning that as you look from the bottom or sides or top all of the foam is flush with the shroud/radiator. As I pulled the shroud in I would focus on the sides. I found that using longer bolts for the top shroud tabs kept the shroud in place so that I could stuff the foam in between the shroud and radiator. Once I got everything lined up I would remove the long bolts and replace with standard length bolt one by one as I was stuffing in the top most piece of foam.

Its been 2 months or so and 5000 miles and all of the foam is still where I left it. Hope that helps a little bit.

what is the purpose of the foam? is it to block off air flow from coming in through the radiator from inside of the engine compartment? was it there like that from the factory? thx for the info.....

Just realized I never answered. Yes and yes.

Note to self, make a bracket to support the bleed valve. Spring is around the corner to may be doing the shower mod part of this pretty soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom