New Comm and Nav question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
After I get the suspension all worked out, and I think my plan is good, I will need to start thinking about Navigation and Communication.

What is everyone using for their Nav and Comms.?

I would like Nav to be independent of my cell phone, due to possible lack of signal.

Thanks

CLCC uses GMRS primarily, either Bofangs or Motorola hand hekd or mobile.

CBs are old news... And as far as NAV goes, several people use tablets with internal GPS, others use external GPS units that connect to phones or tablets with a cable or bluetooth.
My google pixel has an internal gps, so I just use that.

As @76FJ40 mentioned, the primary comms for us and a few of the Pennsylvania club members is GMRS (General Mobile Radio Service). Here is the frequency/channel configuration we use. CLCC RADIO 101 – More than you ever wanted to know about CLCC’s radios – Capital Land Cruiser Club The Motorola radios that most of the club members have were from a large lot eBay purchase a few years ago.

The use of VHF ham (amateur radio) radio is also gaining a lot of popularity. The use of ham radio does require a test to get a license. It is the best choice for wide area comms.

While CB is at the bottom of the radio comms food chain (in many ways), it is also the most used lowest common denominator. So unfortunately, it may be beneficial in some circumstances to have a CB radio. Please don't tell anyone I said that. :censor:

We have the resources within the club to offer the ham test if anyone is interested.

Here is more info:

Radio chart.jpg

Gonna take HAM exam one of these weekends, already have an HT. But is there a "go to" GMRS unit you recommend ? Or just use one of the CLCC's spares? thanks

Gonna take HAM exam one of these weekends, already have an HT. But is there a "go to" GMRS unit you recommend ? Or just use one of the CLCC's spares? thanks
Just get a transceiver that covers 144/430-470 MHz. It should be good for everytngev. I have a cheep Chinese one in my truck I got of internet for less than $200.

What model HT do you have? VHF or dual band VHF & UHF?

I still have some Motorola GP350 HT radios left over from the bulk eBay buy. These are the same radio as the club spares and the radio most of the club members use. I sell them at cost (about $40 -50 depending upon the cost of the battery & $10 - 15 for the charger) to club members (including the PA guys). See the link to CLCC radios in post #4. They are built for use in public safety environments (police & fire) so they are beefier than the Chinese and ham radios. I would suggest getting at least 2 (and 1 charger) so you can use them for comms outside of club events.

FYI, there will be a ham exam on Wednesday 1/9 at T. J. High School in Alexandria (Braddock Rd. near tikicruiser's house) at 2:30. This is primarily for the students but "walk ins" are welcome too. I will be there. Also, the Mount Vernon Amateur Radio club offers tests monthly Mount Vernon Amateur Radio Club Not sure where you are located, but I think the ham club @apinti belongs to has frequent tests in the Leesburg area, as well.

Hope this helps.

For entry level users, the Baofeng handhelds are are an economical radio that will get you the required frequencies.
They are not very powerful, and you won't get extended ranges, but they do work well for trail runs with a group.
I have one, in addition to my, not yet installed, modified Yeasu FT7900 mobile radio.

What model HT do you have? VHF or dual band VHF & UHF?

I still have some Motorola GP350 HT radios left over from the bulk eBay buy. These are the same radio as the club spares and the radio most of the club members use. I sell them at cost (about $40 -50 depending upon the cost of the battery & $10 - 15 for the charger) to club members (including the PA guys). See the link to CLCC radios in post #4. They are built for use in public safety environments (police & fire) so they are beefier than the Chinese and ham radios. I would suggest getting at least 2 (and 1 charger) so you can use them for comms outside of club events.

FYI, there will be a ham exam on Wednesday 1/9 at T. J. High School in Alexandria (Braddock Rd. near tikicruiser's house) at 2:30. This is primarily for the students but "walk ins" are welcome too. I will be there. Also, the Mount Vernon Amateur Radio club offers tests monthly Mount Vernon Amateur Radio Club Not sure where you are located, but I think the ham club @apinti belongs to has frequent tests in the Leesburg area, as well.

Hope this helps.
Thanks Ed. To put a face to my screen name, we chatted at the CMCC when you had your gear set up for TLCAOTA activation.
I've been keeping tabs on the ARRL site listing the local tests. It's been hard to make that schedule and family schedule (sports, travel) align! Leesburg doesn't have any on the books ATM, but plenty in Alexandria, and one in Sterling (3/3). Can't make the test @T.J. tomorrow due to Dr. appointment.

Was planning on testing last fall, so picked up an FT-2DR when I found a really good deal on it. Wanted a dual band, that I could operate from the device (not dependent on programming via PC). I figured that APRS and C4FM would be fun to putz around with, and perhaps useful! I am having to restrain myself from jumping into the deep end (mobile, HF) before I can swim.

Will think about the Mot GMRS radio option. Might be a good option to have as well.

Just get a transceiver that covers 144/430-470 MHz. It should be good for everytngev. I have a cheep Chinese one in my truck I got of internet for less than $200.
Mitch, maybe (once I get my ticket) I should carry my HT with me on Leesburg pub crawls so I can see if you can come out to play (-;

For entry level users, the Baofeng handhelds are are an economical radio that will get you the required frequencies.
They are not very powerful, and you won't get extended ranges, but they do work well for trail runs with a group.
I have one, in addition to my, not yet installed, modified Yeasu FT7900 mobile radio.

I might need your help Friday night with setting up the Baofeng handheld. I think I managed to do it correctly, but we'll see.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom