New Clutch question? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Looking for any help with a slipping clutch issue. I have a 72 fj40 all stock. I put a brand new clutch, pressure plate, throw out bearing, slave cylinder, master cylinder and turned the fly wheel. I have very few hour since I replaced everything. When I shift into 3rd gear the clutch slips. Usually when I am going up a hill. I don't notice it in any other gear. I have no fluid getting on the clutch everything is dry. Could I have the clutch adjusted wrong? Tranny Problem? Thanks in advance.

Sounds like the clutch is adjusted wrong or the throwout bearing is not moving freely.

How much free play do you have at the clutch fork? Do you have a return spring on the fork by the slave?

adjustment You should have about a 1/8" between the Throughout bearing and the pressure plate also make sure your clutch disc is not in backwards.

The spring goes from the slave mounting bracket to the clutch fork. I have an 1" to 1 1/4" free play.

If you temporarily remove the spring, how much free play do you have between the slave and the fork?

Did you do the clutch job? Do you know it the inside of the throwout bearing collar was lubbed?

I pulled the spring off, there is very little space about a 1/16 maybe from the rod to the fork. I installed the clutch mayself I am pretty confident the disc is in the right way. I did it last fall before putting it up for the winter. The throw out bearing was lubed prior to installing it on the fork.

I pulled the spring off, there is very little space about a 1/16 maybe from the rod to the fork. I installed the clutch mayself I am pretty confident the disc is in the right way. I did it last fall before putting it up for the winter. The throw out bearing was lubed prior to installing it on the fork.

1/16" sounds a little tight I think spec is 2-3mm ie closer to 1/8". I'd try adjusting it to see if it helps. Other than that, I think the next step involves pulling the tranny...:crybaby:

Was this a new clutch or a remanufactured one?

I had a "remanufactured" three finger clutch fail within a year when one of the arm tensioning springs broke (preventing its movement).

I will give it a little more room and try it again. The clutch was a brand new setup for my year and model. I will double check and see where I purchased it from. I can't remember that far back, getting old sucks. Thanks for all your help looks like I am going to have to pull it again. At least I won't get as dirty this time.

It wouldn't hurt to pull the inspection cover and make sure all the bolts ar there and tight. I've read of them breaking and/or coming loose. Good luck.

i hear its important i havnt used em in thirty plus years.best way is to listen to these guys and do it right.

I suppose that's good to know. Reason I'm asking is because my throwout bearing burned out or something. It was brand new when I put the new clutch in. Now it squeals when I push in the clutch. I opened the flywheel cover and could see that the throwout bearing was dragging heavily on the fingers (3 finger clutch) when the clutch pedal was depressed, like the outer part was stuck, but still trying to spin. I should also note that although I have an 8/73 with a 1.5F engine w/ 3 speed trans, the hub and throwout bearing are for a 74 w/ 4 speed transmission. I now have the correct parts that I'm gonna replace it with.

Something else to think about is how much clutch pedal free travel do you have? if the pedal is to tight, the compensation port in the clutch slave will be covered and when the fluid gets hot it will expand, when this happens it will slowly apply the clutch and start to slip.

Last edited:
I had the exact same thing happen to me... clutch started slipping so I replaced it... when I pulled it out I saw that it didn't look that bad so I assumed the pressure plate had gone.

New clutch started to slip on steep hills within 1 week so I talked to a buddy. Turned out that it was just my pedal was adjusted wrong (my pedal was very close to the floor) after a bit of adjustment its been good for a few years now!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom