New clutch and bearings, new noise? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Good afternoon,

I recently replaced the clutch, throwout bearing, pilot bearing, and resurfaced the flywheel on my 1986 HJ60. All of this effort was done to fix a noise coming from the pilot bearing. The noise went away with the new bearing, but now it seems that the throwout bearing is making noise.

For clarity, it is now clutch out, noise. Slight pressure on clutch, no noise. I adjusted the pedal to the height from the book and took the linkage slop out of it, still having the noise. There's still some slop in the master cylinder before it starts pressing the throwout bearing against the diaphragm spring.

Should I adjust the pedal to the point of it applying enough pressure to the throwout that it spins with the clutch? Or is it time to drop the tranny again and go digging around?

Also, if anyone has the part numbers for the little plastic bushings for the clutch pedal pin, please let me know.

Thanks!

When its in neutral and the clutch peddle isn't being pressed does the throwout bearing contact the pressure plate?

When its in neutral and the clutch peddle isn't being pressed does the throwout bearing contact the pressure plate?
And that fine point is different for early versus late 60s 😉

And that fine point is different for early versus late 60s 😉
My buddys late 60 THB contacts his flywheel and sounds nasty, I adjusted mine to have a slight gap and have no noise. I think you can by the adjustable slave cylinder rod from some parts stores still

My buddys late 60 THB contacts his flywheel and sounds nasty, I adjusted mine to have a slight gap and have no noise. I think you can by the adjustable slave cylinder rod from some parts stores still
On the early 60s the TO bearing is meant to be non-contact and the adjustment is at the slave cylinder FIRST. Then the pedal gets adjusted. Same process order for the later 60s, except the TO bearing DOES contact. I think the adjustment is done in such a way that it doesn’t apply any pressure though.

I over adjusted the pedal (MC rod) on my early 60 first and the TO had too much pressure on the pressure plate. It made a nasty sound that was kind of like a rod knock. Silly me - I didn’t read the FSM procedure first. I should know better.

(This was all cribbed from an old Mud thread where Jim Chenoweth and others were discussing the issue and posting photos of the FSM. I’m just regurgitating into.)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom