New Carburetor for 76 FJ (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I need to replace the carb on my 76 FJ, I have read in old threads a lot of folks don't like the Weber's or Holley's. I will go with an Asian, but wanted to see if anyone had any better brand recommendations before purchasing, pro's or con's?

I like the Cityracer carbs. I have them on a couple of my trucks and they work great. Japanese knock-off of the OEM carb. Quality seems to be much better than the Chinese knock-offs.

I'm also running a city racer carb and am very satisfied.

I bought the non-usa Aisan from City Racer. Get the air cleaner assembly spacer to go with it. IIAC, the made-in-Japan one is a clone of this, and, also the multitude of low priced clones.

I have a low priced clone in the mail, and will report on it when it arrives.

The '76 has an original look to it, might be worth rebuilding one of these. It is also one of the most simple 2F USA carbs. It has a return line, although the clones just need a hole and some threads, in theory. You will need to source a choke cable stop from the local auto store, and the spacer because the clones don't have the spacer for EGR. Also, a longer M6 threaded stud, and a section of fuel line with a plug in it for the gas tank or the fuel return line.

Do you have the stock throttle linkage, as apposed to cable? Do you have the original air filter assembly, and carb/manifold insulator? Pics would help.

I would not
I need to replace the carb on my 76 FJ, I have read in old threads a lot of folks don't like the Weber's or Holley's. I will go with an Asian, but wanted to see if anyone had any better brand recommendations before purchasing, pro's or con's?
why does it need replacing instead of rebuilding?

I bought the non-usa Aisan from City Racer. Get the air cleaner assembly spacer to go with it. IIAC, the made-in-Japan one is a clone of this, and, also the multitude of low priced clones.
It's kind of a detail but I'm always puzzled by the fact that those new carbs don't even have a choke breaker (but maybe in practice it's not really necessary).

IIRC, the choke breaker was a USA / vacuum switching valve path that included a mileage counter so that you could service your EGR (if you were/are lucky to find a Toyota tech to renew your emissions). The choke breaker might have been eliminated from the more sensible markets because, realistically, you probably have to adjust the bend in the linkage too much (winter/summer/altitude/variations on vacuum at startup) for it to be properly supported. But, even though mine leaks a little, it really is nice to automate the choke process a bit.

On a different note, the low-priced clone just showed up. I'm not eager to drive this one (as I have the gem new Aisan installed), just to inspect, test, and hopefully donate some stuff to an OEM '75 Aisan with EGR.

What is the price of new Asian carb now ?

OP hasn’t been on MUD since he posted his question. Curious behavior. :meh:

Per my signature line, I try REALLY HARD to avoid messaging. Got burned out on that many many years ago.

e ☎️

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom