New calipers new rotors ? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi, Just did all new brakes. Has anyone ever had the brakes stick right off the start ? All Oem parts except for the koyo trunnion bearings. I drove for a few miles and the brakes were smoking when I got home? Bad calipers? Thanks, Mike

Did you lift the wheels off the ground to check if they rotate freely? You mention trunnions bearings. Did you do a knuckle job as well? OEM pads? Or OEM knuckle stuff? If ya did knuckle job and bearings are too tight they will heat the hub. Hope some clarification will get the problem dialed in.

Koyos are good.

Everything seemed fine when the wheels were jacked up.toyota manual and torque wrenched used. Mike

What did you set the bearing torque to?

Check your pedal adjustment and brake light switch adjustment.
I burned brand new rotors glowing red because of the brake light switch being maladjusted. This happened only after brand new calipers and rotors. Sounds weird but that is what happened. I will explain this to make it make more sense. The brake light switch rubber cushion (device that depresses the pin when it makes contact with the pedal) had deformed rendering the lights to stay on when the brake pedal was not depressed. The PO at some point adjusted the switch so that the pedal would shut off the lights when not in use. While this was not a problem with old used pads, when new ones were installed by me earlier this year, I had the same problem you are having. It turned out to be the switch. I know many factors can cause your issues but it's worth a look.
Cheers.

Last edited:
Hi, Just did all new brakes. Has anyone ever had the brakes stick right off the start ? All Oem parts except for the koyo trunnion bearings. I drove for a few miles and the brakes were smoking when I got home? Bad calipers? Thanks, Mike

did you replace both fronbt calipers along with your brake job ?

i might have missed that detail above .............

if yes , are they OEM Toyota or ROCK AUTO ? 🤔

if no , and simply compressed old crusty age and time ridden calipers with a unknown past , maybe a PO put rock auto Rubbish on you don't know ?

then you have your answer ...........

reply back the caliper particulars in relation to your all parts replaced brakes job ?

many members here can help you , but more facts and details are needed in relation to your repair etc

like for example :

- did you repack your bearings with new grease ?

- did u use 4 NEW slide dowel pins also ?

- did you get your 4 inner bearing races pressed in and out , or did you do it your self with a brass large drift pin / punch ? like prescribed inn the FSM Field manual ?

- or, not replace the 4 races , and only install 4 new wheel bearings only ?

one more small detail ........

your front wheel bearings are set to a Pre-load range , and this is how your adjust and tighten down the big hex nut nd washer and 2nd hex nut , then fold over the star washer

NOT simply a spec'd torque value ?

yes a initial torque then you back off to seat your new bearings and races , then re-torque to only 43lbs , thats not alot

then you DO torque the 2nd hex nut to the spec'd torque , but this step alone can cause excessive pre-load in a major way if your not very careful and follow \the FSM step by steps to the letter T

see here below:

CC30F4E3-9FF1-453E-A3AC-9941184AC38F.jpeg

5F640FD4-D7EE-408F-9010-C9B958477DB2.jpeg

489D7C6E-591B-414A-8001-CCD90CFD1B3A.jpeg

Last edited:
Brakes don't smoke due to trunnion bearings or wheel bearings.
It sounds like one of your pistons is stuck in the caliper.

Thanks, Complete front end redo. All oem , service manual used for torque specifications, When the Toyota calipers came in from Toyota of Dallas Rust was present on the case but I thought its only a small amount on the case and I get very few bad Toyota parts..... Mike

Thanks, Complete front end redo. All oem , service manual used for torque specifications, When the Toyota calipers came in from Toyota of Dallas Rust was present on the case but I thought its only a small amount on the case and I get very few bad Toyota parts..... Mike

so you DID indeed purchase and install TOYOTA genuine parts Re-manufactured Calipers in the brown box w/ red print ink

like these

the oem calipers were a BRIGHT silver triple ZINC plating too ?

ignore the Couterfiet box , did you install new dowel slide pins too ?

1595434064089.png

0138CC34-BBBC-42FF-9EC1-6F2F0B9606D9.jpeg
045671E7-B95B-4783-8536-DE49572C547C.jpeg

What’s worse than a complete front axle redo and taking the air out of the lines.....taking it all apart and finding you did nothing wrong and you have wasted grease ,time etc... still thinking Its a bad caliper. Mike

What’s worse than a complete front axle redo and taking the air out of the lines.....taking it all apart and finding you did nothing wrong and you have wasted grease ,time etc... still thinking Its a bad caliper. Mike

if you replaced the 4 slide pins and applied caliper lube to them thin film

then this can rule out them hanging up like i have had happen ,,,,,,,,,,

same symptoms your are having

This is a general FYI to ALL members :

Approx 3-4 Years ago TOYOTA Shifted ALL Re-manufactured parts , well process / the entire entity from JAPAN to
some where here in the USA

I have personally had more then one defective caliper , some rust like outlined above

and missing main body sandwich bolts left out simply during the re-man process

USA TOYOTA RE-Manufactured Genuine parts are a LOW bar compared to the Previous Bench mark quality

that came out of japan including calipers ..........

i will post photos of my defective calipers , and there missing main assy bolts shortly

Only LAZY 9-5 hourly labor here in the lower 48 such as at BENDIX or the like where TOYOTA has farmed out

there once great Re-manufactured brand and name

this is my solid opinion and based on personal facts and my own experience as well

japan boxes in my collection .....

DSCN9965.JPG

DSCN9970 - Copy.JPG

sounds like a bad caliper to me.

Factory torque

Factory torque so 42 Inch Pounds? I'm asking because the FSM I have says to set the bearing at 42 FOOT lbs, back off and torque to 42 INCH lbs. If you had torqued the wheel bearing down thinking foot lbs then you could have smoked the bearing which in turn could result in cooked grease...and lots of smoke. I've had it happen on an old BMW car when the bearing failed.

Brakes don't smoke due to trunnion bearings or wheel bearings.
It sounds like one of your pistons is stuck in the caliper.

Was thinking a failed wheel bearing or over tightened wheel bearing could lead to a cloud of smoke

I rebuild my calipers from scratch with a full disassembly. They say not to take the halves apart so avoid that last step if you don't want to mess with that.

Very easy with the correct tools to install new seals, pistons, and boots. Now if I was on the east coast and had really rusted calipers I may think twice about a rebuild.

Was thinking a failed wheel bearing or over tightened wheel bearing could lead to a cloud of smoke

That is possible but OP said the wheels spun freely when up on jacks. I agree that it's possible and the preload can be difficult to do unless you "can feel it". I don't use fish scales when setting mine.

3CDB2D58-0A9B-41FC-B011-34122424A1E1.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom