New bumper if I can get the old mounts off (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
How the hell do I get these brackets off??

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

the riveted bracket? any of these will work: grinder, cut off wheel, torch, plasma.

Thanks guys! Was hoping I wasn't to stupid to see the easy way. Sawzaw and punch it is! Always appreciated. So pumped about new bumper. Pics to come.

The drill is the way to go!

If you use a drill it works best to drill deep enough to pass the last plane of the steel frame. You can use a straight punch at that point and if you've drilled deep enough the head will shear easy and the rivet will collapse on itself. If you don't drill deep enough you may mushroom the remainder and you're back to start

I did pretty much what the photos show. Patience is a virtue...so I hear...I'm not very patient.

some of those rivets are hell to get to...I had the same amount of "fun" messing with mine. I used a combination of the above approaches and took the air chisel where I had too.

Center punch the rivets, then drill the centers like the pictures. I bought a 16" cold chisel with flat cut
bottom. Then I hit it with a 10 lb sledge. Usually 2-4 hits and it's done. That's how I've removed more
than a couple dozen.
I did have the chance to borrow a variable adjustment air hammer last time, it was amazing but I didn't
price one out yet. Drilling the center out of the rivet still makes a huge difference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom