New bulbs and harness -- reflector meltdown? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all --

So, I got my bulbs (low beam is 78316 "9006 80 watt bulb" and the high beam is 78310 "9005 100 watt bulb") and Christo's harness --

-- one question my friend said came up (albeit in a Pilot group) was that the higher wattage lights were melting the plastic headlamp reflectors --

-- has anyone had this problem? Cary??

eric

Eric

I have been running the same set-up for the past 4 months or so, with no problems to date. No melted housings, blown relays, fuses, etc.

Joe

Good stuff -- thanks for this, Joe!

BTW, the harness is packaged odd, huh?? Sort of like something sold in a Chinatown market -- mine came with bulbs, but you can see they were removed by someone before me --

eric

Eric

Yup! Looks like a foreign mfgd product to me.
I also converted my harness to accept 2, 100w bulbs in place of the 80w low beam for desert trips, using NAPA #N9005 for the clips.

Joe

The light housings are big enough there shouldn't be any problems. If they were tiny I would be more concerned. I still wouldn't recommend sitting still with the high beams on for an hour when it is 100F.

I agree the harness packaging is interesting to say the least. One shortcomming I did note is the power lead is not fused. I intend to fix this with a 30A inline fuse, and would recommend that anyone running the harness do the same.

Finally, concerning changing the bulb types. The 9005 is specifically a high beam bulb. If you look at it you will see there is no reflective tip which when running it in the low beam slot makes for more glare for oncomming traffic. I would not recommend this modification for that reason. 80 Watt bulbs in the low beam are plenty of light.

Cary

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom