Builds New Build For 15 Year Old (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Greetings,After having visited this site for several weeks, I thought I'd post this and see what you all think. Hope I'm doing this right and not infringing on your time!My 15 year old son and I are in the middle of a build of a 1972 FJ 40. It has always been a daily driver and will continue to be such. I've owned the rig since 1976 and have put 2 different SBCs in over the years. A 1962 rebuilt 283 in 1979 and a 1971 Pontiac 307 in 1985 (spun the 283 crank bearings and due to $, put a $250 junkyard motor in to get me through school). The rig has sat for about 10 years and I've obtained a hangar queen 1970 FJ 40 for body parts (doors, hood, fenders, aux gas tank, upper tub, etc.)We have it torn down to the rolling frame (with no pics yet, but will provide as we go forward)Here's our plan. $ not so much a concern as time and somewhat limited mechanical ability (and patience). We do have some welding/fabrication ability CCOT HFS 4" lift to allow for 33" treads, with new shackles and bushingsLongfields up front (in case the kid gets serious about crawlin/wheelin) and to allow for disk brakesVender kits for disks, front and rear with proportioning valve, etc.16" wheels (if available) to allow for better choice of treadsSaginaw PS (have a friend with it in his 40, so he can help us do it right, plus the FAQs and other threads)327 SBC with carb (remanufactured longblock with 70K warrantee), generic 4-bbl intake with 670 cfm Holley truck avenger carbOriginal three speed with transfer case, utilizing AA setup employed from 1979 conversion. All running gear, driveline, etc inspected and rebuilt as needed.Accel HEI replacement distributer w/vaccuum advance, coil, etcOriginal tub with rusted out areas removed and repaired, aluminum rear panel skin with tailgate, smooth and painted (powder coated or anodized) to match entire rig. Rhino type lining under and/or inside. Serious anti-rust effort will be the order of the day!Other details (interior) yet to be decided/too numerous to mention!Sorry for the long wind, but what do you all think? All opinions, advice, criticism to be considered before the credit card gets exercised.

Sounds good. Let's see some pics. And, as always, :flipoff2: welcome.

Welcome! You sound like another old time cruiser owner. I have had 40s since 1971.

Sounds like my story. My dad bought my 40 in 1977. It is a 73. He drove it for years, then it got retired to just plowing snow in the winter. Really decayed while sitting. Then when I was 14 we started teraing it down hoping to have it done by my 16th birthday. What started out as a simple engine refresh, brake job and repaint turned into a very detailed restoration. 16 months later, and 3 months to the day after my birthday we had her legal and road worthy in Oct. 1997. I finished the last bits during Christmas break that year.

I still drive it everyday, put 62,000 miles on it since then. Still pretty stock, daily driver. Had some of the body rot come back, had some other issues along the way, but it has been the best truck I know. Started my addiction, and here I am at least once a day to check these boards. I wish I had had this resource back then. It would have stopped me from making some of the mistakes I did, and would have informed me on other things.

Word of advice, hope you and your son get along well. My dad and I do, but after 16 months on a project, some nerves get pretty frayed and relationships get strained. All in all it is something we both look back on with pride. We've since done a refurbishment on his 86 F250, looked really good when we got done. But at the same time it can test a relationship.

It's good though, read this board, get advice, get local advice, have your son learn it too, read osme books whatever, it will be good that he learns his vehicle.

And have fun doing it, had a bit of a rough time on my dad's truck, midway through the project and winter that year he was diagnosed with prostate cancer. Kind of put a whole other light on the project, will this be our last project? should we finish? Everything came out fine, but it really is good to do this stuff when you can.

Good luck, and get to work, you don't have much time, I started sooner than 15 and still didn't get to drive it on my birthday. Sounds like you have a good plan though, should be a neat rig.

My only advice, after driving my three speed all these years. Look in to a 4 speed tranny. With the amount of work you are doing anyways, it will be worth it.

Last edited:
Welcome.

Sounds like a good pland and a good story. Post up some pics here as you get started. Early pics are just as good to us.

Good luck
Scott

Thanks for the comebacks. I'll get some pics when the parts start goin back on

Welcome sounds like a good build I helped my uncle do the same when I was 16
Let see some pic’s.

Welcome to Mud....:flipoff2:

I wish my dad would have helped me with my first car....You won't regret it...:beer:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom