1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New brakes& rotors needed suggestions please

Discussion in '80-Series Tech' started by PuhnaneeJunky, Feb 23, 2007.

1. PuhnaneeJunky

PuhnaneeJunky

OK it's time to change out all 4 wheels, can you guys recommend a brand that's decent and not terrible expensive...one of the big box auto shops quoted me $577 out the door for turning the front rotors, replacing the rears and new pads all the way round; does that sound fair, avg, or on the high side?

Is this a repair I can make in my driveway or should I leave it the pro's?

thanks in advance.

BTW, I am not an off-roader it's just my daily driver.

2. Ting

Ting

You should also do front axle service if you haven't done it yet...

3. cartercd

cartercd SILVER Star

I would recommend getting OEM rotors and pads from CDan. You can't beat the Toyota quality. The rotors will set you back around $100 each and the pads another $100-$150. Do a search and you will find many members have not had much luck with turning rotors. Although there are some after-market pads that will provide good service, a lot of the ones you will get at your typical brake shop are crap. Do a search for 100 series pads on the front rotors. They will provide a little longer life due to their larger surface area (although they will not appreciably improve braking).

As far as doing this in your driveway - it all depends on your mechanical ability. If you have the factory service manual and have done brakes before you should be alright. Don't take any chances, however, because if you screw up the consequences could be severe.

Flush your brake fluid after you are done. You might also consider rebuilding or buying rebuilt calipers.

4. cary

cary

Do not use cheap aftermarket pads, your braking performance will severely suffer. The best best is OEM from C-dan (rotors and pads) unless you have some reason to use otherwise. If you insist on aftermarket pads take a look at the Hawk LTS or Performance Friction pads. They aren't any cheaper than OEM but offer a bit more bite.

The 80 has decent, but not great brakes on stock form. I have first hand experience of having complete brake failure due to overheating as a result of the prior owner using aftermarket rotors and cheap pads. It isn't a place worth saving $100-200.

5. reffug

reffug

As others have said just get the OEM stuff from Cdan and be done with it.

6. PuhnaneeJunky

PuhnaneeJunky

can anyone tell how to get in touch with Mr C' Dan

7. cary

cary

Click here and call American Toyota, or pm cruiserdan.

http://www.ih8mud.com/ads.php#banners

One really nice thing that nobody mentioned (myself in included) is that when you order parts from C-dan he will make sure you get the right stuff and any little stuff you need. It is nice when you don't have to stop halfway through a job because the bozo who sold you the parts got you the wrong ones.

8. Scamper

Scamper

Can't add to what others have said, but will ask why you are replacing all four rotors? Are they warped, cracked, or otherwise bad?

Replacing the pads only from CDan will set you back just over $100 all around, so if you don't need to have the rotors changed out, don't. It's not necessary to turn these rotors when you do a brake job, unless there's some wear problem, and then you're better off buying new ones.