New Boston Whaler Project (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
It rolled out of the factory as a Utility 15. It served as a rental boat for the Navy in Bangor, WA. It then was used by the Nisqually tribal police and I picked it up from them. It has seen a lot of abuse but it is worth saving. So far I'm into it $500. After fixing the holes in the hull it will get new gelcote, rub rail, and wood interior -might even go teak or purple heart instead of mahogany. I'm probably going to need a bigger trailer.
boston whaler 15.jpg

good place to start- love the little whalers- I have a 16sl that gives me as much enjoyment as my cruiser.

It rolled out of the factory as a Utility 15. It served as a rental boat for the Navy in Bangor, WA. It then was used by the Nisqually tribal police and I picked it up from them. It has seen a lot of abuse but it is worth saving. So far I'm into it $500. After fixing the holes in the hull it will get new gelcote, rub rail, and wood interior -might even go teak or purple heart instead of mahogany. I'm probably going to need a bigger trailer.

I have restored 3 whalers and maybe starting on another, Before you have it re-gelcoated check into having it painted. I used awlgrip inside and out with great results. Its not the easiest stuff to work with if you have never used, however if you take your time and prep well before you paint it will turn out great. Good luck !!!

Awl grip!

I used awlgrip inside and out with great results. Its not the easiest stuff to work with if you have never used, however if you take your time and prep well before you paint it will turn out great. Good luck !!!

Can you give some specifics on Awl Grip? How does it hold-up in terms of chips, dings, scratches? What is the system process in terms of epoxy primers, sealers, top coat? Did you spray it? All in cost? From a guy that has done three whalers, I would love to know more.

Thanks a ton.

Dave

Hi Dave, Awl-Grip is a tuff coating. It resist scratches and dings very well. It is a three part system, !. base 2. reducer 3. activator. I have sprayed, as well as rolled and tipped it. The most important part of all is your prep on the hull it self. If you spray you need a water seperater and a bunch of house. Cost will vary on wich AG coating you use. The toughest places on the 15 whaler to spray evenly are the motorwell te drain well on the floor in front of the motorwell and inside of the forward hatch. Check out the AG website, they have alot of good info there. Ill try to find some pix of my past projects and post them. Good Luck.

Last edited:
My 13' Whaler

Here is my 13' Whaler in Fighting Lady Yellow painted years ago. Awl Grip is awesome stuff. Sorry no intior shots but its egg shell. All done in Awl Grip. Looking at redoing it here again in the next couple years. Looking forward to seeing your progress on your Whaler.

:cheers:
IMG_0498.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom