New BJ60 Owner - "Goomba" Introduction (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello there, My name is Jesse. I've been a member for a while but I really haven't been involved since I didn't have a cruiser :crybaby:
I picked up this fine cruiser on the 26th and I'm loving it. I searched for a few years to find one that I was willing to drop cash on, and this one fit the bill.

I found this one in my local area though Kijiji and after seeing one picture I was in love, so I planned to go out the very next weekend to see it.
I pulled up to it and was already in shock at how good it looked (they don't come very clean here in Alberta due to rough winters and salty roads), I took a quick look at it and in most of the common areas where issues are found and it was a dream come true. The owner handed me the keys and we went on a test drive, which made me a bit nervous as it was the first time I'd ever drove a standard. It went really well actually, though I stalled it right out of the gate by forgetting to take the parking brake off :grinpimp: anyway after that drive I knew I had to have it.
By the next weekend I had worked out a deal with the guy and I left right after work to drive for an hour to get it. I met the guy at the registry office and got it with 5 minutes to close haha. So that's the story of how I got "Goomba".
The name came to me while I was sitting on the bumper watching the sunset. I was wearing a super mario bros 3 shirt and I noticed that the colours of a goomba are kinda similar, no secret meaning really.

I've already taken it on a 1.4KM camping trip and it ran like a champ (well it's a 3B duh).
I added myself to the registry already, but I thought some extra pics would be fun to share. And I'd be interested to maybe get connected with other owners in the central Alberta area.
I won't waste time asking about things I should know as a new owner because I'm sure I can find lots of threads about that on here (but feel free to comment something if you want). I've already been told to keep all the filters clean, and to change the oil regularly.
I'll get right to the pics.

gooma1.jpg

gooma2.jpg

goomba3.jpg

goomba4.jpg

Went up to Bellingham, Washington to look at a BJ60 once. It drove and sounded great but was so riddled with rust holes it was like Swiss cheese in the wheel wells and parts of the frame. How’s the frame? The color looks like it would hide rust pretty well on the body. I have family friends who drill wells in Alberta. Black Dog Drilling. I want to drive up there in my Cummins 4BT swapped 60 and see the Canadian Rockies. Enjoy it, and use caution, they become an obsession.
6DC002DF-7256-42AD-9A62-7DF1047D0AE1.jpeg

Nice find. Check for rust in the bottom front of the rear wheel wells, they blister which is all connected to the brackets on the inner wheel arch so take off the covers for the wheel arch to inspect. Also the roof gutters. Your roof rack may have damaged the caulking causing rust to start. And the rear C channels.

48563689486_ca887b1b56_z.jpg

48370348092_d34a99cee7_z.jpg

I am the third owner of this one.
Apparently the original owner had the truck sanded and painted at one point, which makes sense because I don't think it's a Toyota colour.

The frame has some undercoat flaking off to take care of (it's not a pro undercoat job, the previous owner just sprayed it on there to protect from Alberta's salty roads). Overall I found no areas where i could push my fingers through. Before winter I'm going to get under there with a hammer and have a go to test the whole thing better. I've seen a few rusted 60 frames, but this doesn't seem to be one of them.
There's we rust on the drivers side door, but I got a spare door in the deal as well to replace it when it's bad enough.

I haven't checked under the wheel well covers, but from underneath and behind they look good.

The roof rack was one of my big concerns as well when I bought it, but not to worry, there is zero rust on the roof and no evidence that it was repaired before the paint job. I was told that the original owner used to put in in the garage over most of the summer, and it hasn't seen much off road action either.

I know it's dangerous to assume things are great so I won't say I've inspected everything, but I'm very happy with this find. I'll post more photos once I've looked under there better.

I have an alberta BJ60 too.

The roof's are not an issue for us.

But I've chopped and cut a lot of body metal in 16 years of ownership lol.

I found owning a small mig welded and not being afraid to patch and grind the best tools for a BJ60 owner..

Last winter I cut out my rocker panels and put in tube steel. Oh and cut and fixed the wheel arches for the second time!

I suggest spraying oil under and in all cavities to slow down the rust. Even if you don't repair anything the spray oil keeps it under control.

Yeah I'm looking into a small welder. I'm certainly interested in doing as much as I can to preserve this.

Alberta isn't salty. They use gravel too lol. That's why there is BJ60's still there. In ontario where I live now they pour salt on the roads. There is no land cruisers in my area unless they were brought in from out of province. The originals rotted away long ago. My BJ60 was stopped winter driving 7 years ago. I only drive it spring to fall. For the winter months (Oct-April) it stays tucked away indoors.

Sweet buy... but you missed out the money shot.. no engine bay photo? :(

sweet truck. i bought mine from alberta and then exported next door to the east. i had some pretty serious rust around the bottom 6 inches that was all cut out with the body job. i love this truck but it has become a money pit!! it is an obsession especially looking around here on mud and seeing all the cool must have stuff various vendors build and sell. i would do it all again thought if i had to. have fun and keep the pics coming.
ACA96A72-1084-4FCD-AEB4-C8378FA3DE81.jpeg

I'll get an engine bay shot tomorrow lol. I didn't bother because, well, it looks like every other 3B.
Though it's fairly nice in there.

And you're right that they put gravel down on pretty much all the roads, but in some towns and cities they do use a mix. As an example red deer uses a mix downtown. But yes on highways they just gravel and plow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom